The Student Room Group

Avicenna or Descartes?

I know both are very different, but I am about to do a mini essay on one of them about how they have effected the modern day, but I can't decide which one to do as both have effected it greatly. Maybe someone here could help me out either with some good answers or with some sources to make my decision easier? Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
erm
who is avicenna ?
Descartes. For a couple of reasons.

I have no idea who the first person is.
Descartes arguments around theology are pretty good.
His 'I think therefore I am' lead me to the joke:

Descartes walks into a bar and orders a drink. After a while the bartender asks, 'would you like another?' then Descartes replies 'I think not!' and disappears.

It gets me all the bitches.
Reply 3
Original post by see-are
erm
who is avicenna ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avicenna

Original post by chickenonsteroids
Descartes. For a couple of reasons.

I have no idea who the first person is.
Descartes arguments around theology are pretty good.
His 'I think therefore I am' lead me to the joke:

Descartes walks into a bar and orders a drink. After a while the bartender asks, 'would you like another?' then Descartes replies 'I think not!' and disappears.

It gets me all the bitches.

That's Avicenna, and I was thinking Des Cartes because of his mathematical recognition in modern life but Avicenna because of what he actually theorised about is interesting.
Reply 4
And that joke is marvellous :biggrin:
Original post by LordFishlock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avicenna

That's Avicenna, and I was thinking Des Cartes because of his mathematical recognition in modern life but Avicenna because of what he actually theorised about is interesting.

I read a little about him when I came into this post. I'll have to read some of his stuff sometime.

You can't forget the Cartesian points! :tongue:
Reply 6
Yes exactly, so would you go with Descartes? Thanks for the help!
Yes exactly, so would you go with Descartes? Thanks for the help!

Avicenna is a medieval commentator on Aristotle.

Unusual for him to be a mini essay topic?

Go with Descartes because he's the beginning of modern philosophy, and so a figure of more historical importance. And you'll have a much easier time writing the essay since the literature on him is much better.

What's this essay for?
Reply 8
It isn't really a real authenticated essay, it was just a little project we got set to do an essay on a philosopher and their theories which are applied in modern life.
Avicenna. He also inspired other Egyptian and Ayyubid Polymaths to follow his ideologies etc his theorems on philosophy aren't all that insightful in due part to his religion and the heretical view of Greek and Roman predecessors.

Descartes is just boring, and his argument is more theological than philosophical.
Reply 10
Avicenna is more interesting. I like Descartes for his mathematical influence more than anything.
Reply 11
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Avicenna. He also inspired other Egyptian and Ayyubid Polymaths to follow his ideologies etc his theorems on philosophy aren't all that insightful in due part to his religion and the heretical view of Greek and Roman predecessors.

Descartes is just boring, and his argument is more theological than philosophical.

So wait, are many of Avicenna's theories successful in modern life? That is part of the question, and I need to assess theories that are and aren't.
So wait, are many of Avicenna's theories successful in modern life? That is part of the question, and I need to assess theories that are and aren't.

I would say neither of these figures play any real significance in modern theories, no.

Avicenna to a degree, was the hegemony tutor of later Islamic scholars which protected and revitalized the work of the Greeks, which in turn, has led to the renaissance of philosophy in Germany during the Renaissance ergo to modern day, but he as a figure, contributed little to nothing.
Reply 13
So would you be so kind as to suggest a philosophical figure who did individually affect the modern world who was at least a few hundred years old? :-p
Reply 14
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I would say neither of these figures play any real significance in modern theories, no.

Avicenna to a degree, was the hegemony tutor of later Islamic scholars which protected and revitalized the work of the Greeks, which in turn, has led to the renaissance of philosophy in Germany during the Renaissance ergo to modern day, but he as a figure, contributed little to nothing.

Can you suggest any?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending