The Student Room Group

BMAT Section 3 | Post & Reflection | 2023 FINAL SESSION

Dear all,

A considerable aspect of BMAT preparation that is underwhelming in terms of free resources and support is Section 3. The majority of students taking the BMAT score a 3 for content marking and an A for quality of language. Nonetheless, in order to improve both the quality of my own written essays and that of my peers, I shall be doing a past BMAT essay every day, until the final day of preparation. I plan to post any preliminary notes I take before writing the actual essay and will leave room for comments and critical analysis. Other people may post their own essays, as I feel it will be a useful exercise to start to gather more knowledge and insight into how people structure and deliver essays. Reflection and a critical eye will be crucial to making fruitful changes to how we perform in Section 3, which is why I believe this forum may be of benefit.

For those of you who simply want to follow along, hopefully we can improve the quality of our Section 3 essays together.

Good luck, I will post the first essay later on today, 05/09/2023
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Essay 1: 1 ‘A little learning is a dangerous thing.’ (Alexander Pope)

Explain what this statement means. Argue to the contrary to show that a little learning is not
dangerous. To what extent do you think learning can be a dangerous thing?

------------------------

NOTES:

Intro: Describe quote, how it indicates that having a shallow level of understanding can lead to irrational or dangerous conclusions. Conclusions are dangerous in that they result (suffering, hatred, etc.)

Counter: Base or cursory knowledge can be of greater benefit than no knowledge at all. Knowledge of the self is of great benefit.

- ADHD/ASD or anxiety, can lead to avoidance of dangerous situations

- Who defines what learning is dangerous, what is deep learning anyway?

Dunning Kruger, impact of misinformation in fuelling hatred and suffering for conclusion.

------------------------

ESSAY:

"So drink deep or taste not the Pierian Spring", so goes the quote that describes a fundamental issue plaguing humanity - ignorance. Having shallow knowledge within a topic or area of information can lead to negative outcomes for both the individual and society as a whole.

Having a cursory understanding may be of great benefit, if it can confer an advantage to the individual. Say for instance, an individual exhibits symptoms consistent with Generalised Anxiety Disorder, such an individual may choose to seek professional counsel. While they may not acquire a thorough understanding of the pathological cause of their disorder, simply the cognition of it may lead to a better understanding and thus better management of their condition. As such, their cursory comprehension has conferred a significant improvement in their health and wellbeing. Indeed, the parable of the madman within "Thus Spake Zarathustra" may provide us insight into the potential results of extensive learning. The madman, having delved into the depths of philosophy concludes that "Gott ist Tot" This leads to much sorrow and lament for the man, he is labelled as "mad" as a result. Can it be said that his endeavour led him to the metaphorical "Pierian spring", a source of untrammelled inspiration and enlightenment? Despair is not flattering or inspirational.

It is clear to me that what one learns and not only to what extent you learn it is of grave importance. For the average individual, cursory knowledge may well elevate. On the other hand, as with the Covid-19 vaccination campaign, it may lead to misinformation and untold suffering, underscoring the need for reason and reliability of sources.

---------------------

REFLECTION:

Not a bad first effort, needed minor edits and took me approximately 40 minutes to complete. The argument may be weak in places, especially where it links with the madman but I am happy with what I have achieved given the long stretch of time I have spent away from essays and writing in general.
So... it's been a while.
Let's get back onto it and stop complaining!

Essay 2: "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." (Voltaire)

Explain what this statement means. Argue to the contrary that to be certain about something is not necessarily absurd. To what extent do you agree with Voltaire?

PLAN:

(Voltaire) says that it is not appealing to be in a state of concussion over matters potentially of importance to the self. However, to be certain of matters in philosophical terms is ridiculous, he was probably referring to matters of faith (Candide) Argue that we can know that we exist and that this acts as the only true Properly Basic Belief (PBB) from which all others may be derived.

ESSAY:

Voltaire, in this statement, argues that, at least in terms of epistemics, we cannot have certainty. While he says this is not pleasant in that it creates dissonance or a lack of direction, he was almost certainly referring to beliefs of a metaphysical nature. Metaphysics refers to that which is beyond the direct interrogation of instrumentation or senses.

As Rene Descartes puts it, “cogito, ergo sum”, the only thing we may be certain of is that we exist. By definition to doubt is to have the capacity for through and self expression. It is a position that may only be occupied by that which exists and experiences. If we are not certain that we exist then even claiming doubt is a difficult case to make. If there is one thing we may conclude, therefore, it is that we exist.

There is a pragmatic case, too, if in fact we cannot truly know of anything then we shall live in a highly solipsistic world. This is why the case of total scepticism (absurdism) has little practical value, while the position itself remains cogent. If we cease to treat other agents (beings) as thinking and capable of feeling then we may inflict suffering upon others by resting on that assumption. This assumption is thus a dangerous one.

Voltaire authored “Candide” which was a critical analysis of the certainty of Christian explanations of tragedy. Voltaire, in this quote, was likely challenging the dogmatic position of western Christianity at the time and particularly their claims regarding the metaphysics. Thus, I am a proponent of Voltaire’s position as I believe we cannot know that which we cannot interact with. Therefore, if something is unknowable, then claims about it have no epistemic value and thus certainty of such claims may be said to be absurd.

REFLECTION:
Now that I think about it, it may have been more accurate within the introduction to comment further on something being pleasant. That is to say that there are limits to how far our rationality and philosophising can help us as we are still bound by our comforts as humans.
Essay 3: 1 ‘Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.’ (John Dalberg-Acton)

Explain the reasoning behind this statement. Argue that power does not necessarily degrade or
weaken the morals of those who hold it. To what extent is it possible for someone to hold
power without using it for their own personal gain?

Firstly, the assertion that there are moral frameworks that are superior, in the sense that two may be objectively compared and are said to be "more corrupt" than another is invalid. Moral corruption is a conception of the zeitgeist, the ascension to Fuhrer by Adolf Hitler was met with support by the vast majority of the German populace. They regarded Nazi "ideals" as being of the utmost credence in making ethical judgements. On the other hand, modern western democracies would suggest that Hitler's actions were of total dictatorial corruption, feeding his incessant need to enslave those he disliked. This demonstrates that there is no true compass with which to judge the values of the ruler.

El Salvadoran President Nayib Bukele represents a class of ruler known as the "Benevolent Dictator", an individual that holds untrammelled authority and yet conducts himself in the most desirable way (to the people) as possible. His tenure as a, by proxy, dictator has resulted in the murder rate falling to far lower levels than in previous democratic rule. At the same time, his approval ratings are among the highest in any democratic state. This makes it clear that absolute power does not necessarily cause an erosion of morals and that those that rule are judged primarily on the outcomes of their rule. In achieving that which was desired by the populace, he acted out unmetered power with overwhelming support.

For the vast majority of human history we have been governed by an institution through fear of force. Only recently have governments arisen by which individuals in power are checked by regulations that prevent corruption. Such institutions arose as a result of the humanist enlightenment, placing, above all, the needs of the many above the few. Even in countries with historical dictatorship running back centuries, civil unrest has paved the way for representative and decentralised governments. As an aggregate, global corruption and power concentration has reduced, suggesting that the trappings of power are not as corruptive as they used to be. Instead, values such as accountability, responsibility and compassion take precedent. The United Nations Charter for Human Rights exists as an indication that centrality and plutocracies are out and representative and morally upright sovereignties are becoming more desirable. In conclusion, I choose to reject the assertion that power corrupts absolutely and counter with the notion that structures now exist that prevent it from doing so in the first place.

REFLECTION:

Could have been stronger and feel that I deviated a bit. I felt this was quite hard, mainly because I concur with the statement largely. On the whole I am happy though as I believe it came together quite nicely.
(edited 6 months ago)
would you be willing to read through my essay and give it a mark?
Original post by sameiksha2626
would you be willing to read through my essay and give it a mark?

I do not have any time at this point I am afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending