The Student Room Group

IB ab intio german or IB SL german

I was wondering if anyone knew the policy or restrictions on doing an ab initio language, such as if you have done it for GCSE.

I am planning to study medicine and currently study
HL: Bio, Chem and Geography
SL: Maths studies, german and english

I recieved my UCAS predictions which resulted in a 5 for German. Many people who got 4's and 3's moved to ab initio.

I obtained GCSE grade B at german, if i did the ab initio course would my application to medicine be frowned upon or be disadvantaged.

If I did ab initio, I could spend more time working on my higher levels to a level 7 standard.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Well the unis will see your GCSE grades and therefore know that you took a course that is inappropriate for your level (students who never spoke any German before take ab initio). On the other hand, you can make up for that with a higher score and I think that most unis don't really care about SL subjects at all, at least not as much as about the overall score. It's your choice obviously, but I think you'll just be wasting time in that class. Honestly, I think that being able to speak German well is much better than having few more points on your IB diploma. A German person could take that class, never show up and get a 7, but that doesn't mean its a good idea...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks Kyle, where do you do the IB? Do you know whether for medicine it would have an impact, cheers for the advice but my teachers recommended I go for the highest point score possible.
Original post by GeniusDoctor
Thanks Kyle, where do you do the IB? Do you know whether for medicine it would have an impact, cheers for the advice but my teachers recommended I go for the highest point score possible.

it shouldn't at all, i asked my teacher the same thing.. i did arabic B.. which is really close to ab initio, just a little bit more difficult.. managed to pull a 7 which is the important part :smile: subjects not mentioned in the requirements shouldn't matter.
Reply 6
IB is hard so do whatever you can to make it easier for yourself.
I think you should do ab initio if the option's there. It won't disadvantage your application.
Reply 7
thanks everyone, i'm still anxious, like won't universities read through it, that your taking the easy option, because ab initio, is like doing your GCSE's again, but a little extra vocab and grammar!
Original post by GeniusDoctor
thanks everyone, i'm still anxious, like won't universities read through it, that your taking the easy option, because ab initio, is like doing your GCSE's again, but a little extra vocab and grammar!

Nope dont worry, there is a reason why it is an IB subject :wink: and the most important thing is that the subjects that r not directly relevant to ur course are easy.. For example, if you're going to do law, and take environmental sciences as a science, the universities will not ask you why u did not take biology or chemistry or physics, and went for the easier science which is environmental. so choose whichever subject you would score the highest at. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending