The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asfka
To answer your question, yes.
There is no stopping point other than the individual organism (as this is obviously the terminus of the lineage and where it must resolve itself). Any decision to create a category above the level of the individual organism is arbitrary/socially constructed and is not grounded in logic.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by whyumadtho
Universal phenomena like gravity, the speed of electromagnetic radiation or cell mutation. Mathematical formulae/scientific laws derived from these concepts are also objective, as they represent these natural phenomena in a completely unambiguous and definite manner. But this is just my opinion, and there is the school of solipsism and the observer effect that will argue nothing is intrinsically definite or objective. In respect to 'race' and 'species', the lack of consensus over whether something is in one group, another group or a new one entirely speaks for itself. Assuming all the various grouping systems are predicated on what is observed, it is apparent that reducing such substantial and overlapping variation into a single category is an arbitrary process; hence, the ongoing and historical attempts to redefine various standards or create alternative ones.

Assuming your empirical claims are true, I would agree with you. At least in the case of human races they would be what is commonly understood as a social construct. And Pyramidologist is missing your point, you are not committed to saying that the difference between physical objects is as weakly grounded as that of races. Even if objects are a social construct they would have a much stronger pragmatic base

But intelligence is idiosyncratic. I cannot see the value of an average that subsumes an unrelated group into a single unit without accounting for their individualised intelligences. If the goal is determining what makes somebody intelligent, it would make more sense to compare an intelligent individual and an unintelligent individual to see the neurological differences between the two.

In spite of the discussion about the status of the concept of race, it is an open empirical question whether races are correlated with variations in mean I.Q. scores. I believe this has been found to be the case in statistical experiments. Admittedly, if race is a social construct it would make sense for this correlation to be due to social, not genetic, factors. Would you agree with this?

As to the usefulness, it isn't useful in assessing an individual, but I think it is important to take group differences into account when planning public policy.
Original post by HermesTrismegistus
In spite of the discussion about the status of the concept of race, it is an open empirical question whether races are correlated with variations in mean I.Q. scores. I believe this has been found to be the case in statistical experiments. Admittedly, if race is a social construct it would make sense for this correlation to be due to social, not genetic, factors. Would you agree with this?

As to the usefulness, it isn't useful in assessing an individual, but I think it is important to take group differences into account when planning public policy.
I still fundamentally disagree with the process of grouping in this case so I cannot bring myself to agree with anything derived from such groupings to be of value. I simply do not believe a person's individuality should be subsumed into an average when they have no tangible affinity to the persons within that average.

If low intelligence is a social problem it would make sense to understand the things in common between those who are of low intelligence and those who are of high intelligence to isolate the causal* processes at play. Although I believe the individual's choice to nurture their mind plays a critical role and any unambiguous/standardisable quantitative causal processes will never be found, this both individualises people and undermines the generic and highly problematic grouping/averaging process on the basis of nationality/ethnicity/etc.; such things should not serve as the independent variables when they are not the important factor to consider.

*I still think assessing something as complex, mutable and multifaceted as intelligence is a deeply flawed exercise, but for the sake of this argument I'll go along with it. Furthermore, given the extensive social implications of declaring "persons with immutable X traits are necessarily less intelligent than those with immutable Y traits", I would hope IQ scores are not seen to define a person. If social/cultural traits—which are heavily mutable—are particularly influential I would have no ethical concerns with research of this nature.
I still fundamentally disagree with the process of grouping in this case so I cannot bring myself to agree with anything derived from such groupings to be of value. I simply do not believe a person's individuality should be subsumed into an average when they have no tangible affinity to the persons within that average.

If low intelligence is a social problem it would make sense to understand the things in common between those who are of low intelligence and those who are of high intelligence to isolate the causal* processes at play. Although I believe the individual's choice to nurture their mind plays a critical role and any unambiguous/standardisable quantitative causal processes will never be found, this both individualises people and undermines the generic and highly problematic grouping/averaging process on the basis of nationality/ethnicity/etc.; such things should not serve as the independent variables when they are not the important factor to consider.

*I still think assessing something as complex, mutable and multifaceted as intelligence is a deeply flawed exercise, but for the sake of this argument I'll go along with it. Furthermore, given the extensive social implications of declaring "persons with immutable X traits are necessarily less intelligent than those with immutable Y traits", I would hope IQ scores are not seen to define a person. If social/cultural traits—which are heavily mutable—are particularly influential I would have no ethical concerns with research of this nature.

If the empirical premises obtain, agreed. Thank you for presenting such an interesting line of argumentation so perspicuously.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
People who may think they are of a "pure' race (whatever that is) may be in for a surprise.

Because of modern technology, it is often found that people have genes from many places.

For example, I read an article recently that said Thomas Jefferson's bloodline had genes which probably came from Spain, and that some of his ancestors were probably jews who fled the Spanish Inquisition.

Also, I read an article about people in the State of New Mexico in the United States, who found out that they were really jewish, and that their heirs were also jews who fled the Spanish Inquisition to come to the new world.

That would be ironic----to be anti-semitic, only to find out that you yourself were jewish.
Reply 185
Original post by FreeHat
Wikipedia which in turn quotes a physical anthropologist. You said "many Irish have brown eyes", which implies a significant proportion have brown eyes; which is false, or else the term "many" is redundant.

actually that study was conducted by an american over 2 years in the 1930's. it was not exactly thorough. it conducted essentially of a focus group of pockets of irish people around the country.

now given also that this was a form of research conducted only 30 years after it was relitively popular belief that the irish were the "missing link" in evolution between ape and man i would be skepitcal of the bias that would perhaps have gone with it.

also the study talks about pure brown eyes being rare. not general variations. i may self have brownish eyes with green and grey hints. but predominatly are brown. this is a trait that is found through my entire family. so perhaps i should have been more delicate with my use of words considering i was speaking to such a sensative customer.

to put it a better way. "dark eyes" is what is synnonymous with the black irish. dark hair, pale skin, dark eyes.
Original post by Pyramidologist
I collect old works, but have plenty of modern. Racial typology has not changed, modern science supports the old data we have - so the old texts themselves are still valid.

Crow, James F. "Unequal by nature: a geneticist’s perspective
on human differences." Daedalus, Winter 2002.

Dawkins, Richard. "Race and Creation." Prospect Magazine, Oct. 23, 2004.

Garfield, Kathryn. "Is There a Genetic Basis to Race After All?" Discover Magazine, May 2007.

Hsu, Steve. "Connect the Dots [The Reality of Race]." Information Processing, Aug. 24, 2010.

Hsu, Steve. "Rare variants and human genetic diversity." Information Processing, July 8, 2012.

Khan, Razib. "The Race Question." Discover Magazine, Feb. 23, 2012.

Khan, Razib. "Richard Dawkins accepts the usefulness of race." Discover Magazine, May 4, 2012.

Lahn, Bruce & Lanny Ebenstein. "Let's celebrate human genetic diversity." Nature 461, no. 35 (2009).

Leroi, Armand Marie. "A Family Tree in Every Gene." New York Times, March 14, 2005.

Mayr, Ernst, "The Biology of Race and the Concept of Equality." Daedalus, Winter 2002.

McAuliffe, Kathleen. "They Don't Make Homo Sapiens Like They Used To: Our species—and individual races—have recently made big evolutionary changes to adjust to new pressures." Discover Magazine, Feb. 2, 2009.

Miller, Geoffrey. "The looming crisis in human genetics." The Economist, Nov 13, 2009.

Mountain, Joanna L. & Neil Risch. "Assessing Genomic contributions to phenotypic differences among racial and ethnic groups." Nature Genetics 36, no. 11 (2004).

Race, Ethnicity, and Genetics Working Group. "The Use of Racial, Ethnic, and Ancestral Categories in Human Genetics Research." The American Journal of Human Genetics 77 (2005).

Risch, Niel, et al. "Categorization of humans in biomedical research: genes, race and disease." Genome Biology, July 1, 2002.

Rosenberg, Noah A. et al. "Genetic Structure of Human Populations." Science 298, no. 5602 (2002).

Sailer, Steve. "A Race Is An Extremely Extended Family." ISteve, 1998.

Sailer, Steve. "The Reality of Race." VDare, May 25, 2000.

Sailer, Steve. "Seven Dumb Ideas about Race." VDare, May 31, 2000.

Sailer, Steve. "Where Dawkins Fears To Tread: Ethnic Nepotism And The Reality Of Race." VDare, Oct. 3, 2004.

Sailer, Steve. "Race Does Exist--New York Times." VDare, March 20, 2005.

Sailer, Steve. "The Race FAQ." VDare, Dec. 16, 2007.

Sesardic, Neven. "Race: a social destruction of a biological concept." Biology and Philosophy, 2010.

Sarich, Vincent & Frank Miele. Race: The Reality of Human Differences. Westview Press, 2005.

Sewell, Martin. "Race: An Introduction." Martin Sewell Blog, March 4, 2010.

Wade, Nicholas. "Race Is Seen as Real Guide To Track Roots of Disease." New York Times, July 30, 2002.

Wade, Nicholas. "Gene Study Identifies 5 Main Human Populations, Linking Them to Geography." New York Times, Dec. 20, 2002.

Wade, Nicholas. "Humans Have Spread Globally, and Evolved Locally." New York Times, June 26, 2007.

Woodley, Michael A. "Is Homo sapiens polytypic? Human taxonomic diversity and its implications." Medical Hypotheses 74 (2010).

Xing, Jinchuan et al. "Fine-scaled human genetic structure revealed by SNP microarrays." Genome Research 19 (2009).
It's quite funny that you are linking to news websites, books and blogs to bulk out the amount of recent references you have. Peer-reviewed references that I haven't already refuted will be useful, especially since we're discussing science. :smile: Seriously, some of those articles (Risch, Rosenberg et al., in particular) have been ripped to shreds many times over and I have addressed them in my discussions to you on many occasions.
(edited 11 years ago)
why do people get so confused?

race is where your from? - nothing else

example:

you can be black and British but your ancestors wont be British probably African - you will always be negroid as where your ancestors but your race would be British
It's quite funny that you are linking to news websites, books and blogs to bulk out the amount of recent references you have. Peer-reviewed references that I haven't already refuted will be useful, especially since we're discussing science. :smile: Seriously, some of those articles (Risch, Rosenberg et al., in particular) have been ripped to shreds many times over and I have addressed them in my discussions to you on many occasions.

Racism, discrimination and categorising races doesn't come down to science.
Original post by democracyforum
Racism, discrimination and categorising races doesn't come down to science.
Because they are imaginary social constructs? Cool. :smile:
Because they are imaginary social constructs? Cool. :smile:

No, not because of that.

Read the Ancient Arabs Views of the Zanj.
No, not because of that.
Then what? If it is something objective it can be considered logically via science and philosophy, no?

Read the Ancient Arabs Views of the Zanj.
Summarise and put it in the context of this discussion.
Then what? If it is something objective it can be considered logically via science and philosophy, no?

Summarise and put it in the context of this discussion.

My point is their views of other races are not based on science, but sentiment.
My point is their views of other races are not based on science, but sentiment.
So it's an imaginary social construct? Cool. :smile:
So it's an imaginary social construct? Cool. :smile:

So what that it might be a social construct ? So ? It's more like a social reality since everyone is talking about it.

How is that an argument, for anything ?
So what that it might be a social construct ? So ? It's more like a social reality since everyone is talking about it.

How is that an argument, for anything ?

It shifts into a question of its social value. Concepts like witchcraft, curses, and demons were once social realities, but upon being subjected to reason and sensible analysis, their prominence in social policy and the public psyche has attenuated in this society. The same is happening to 'race', gender and eventually the concept of the nation.

It's only a matter of time. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
It shifts into a question of its social value. Concepts like witchcraft, curses, and demons were once social realities, but upon being subjected to reason and sensible analysis, their prominence in social policy and the public psyche has been attenuated in this society. The same is happening to 'race', gender and eventually the concept of the nation.

Religion is a man made social construct.

Racial differences in athletics, physical attractiveness, crime, creativity, sexual impulse,culture,intelligence, disease, biology,
are realities,
bound by the laws of nature.
It shifts into a question of its social value. Concepts like witchcraft, curses, and demons were once social realities, but upon being subjected to reason and sensible analysis, their prominence in social policy and the public psyche has attenuated in this society. The same is happening to 'race', gender and eventually the concept of the nation.

What are you ? Some kind of hardcore communist ?
Reply 198
Irish people/ people who live in Cornwall and Anglesey tend to be Native Britons (Native the the Island of Britain) they were ran west by the Romans, so they're really

but then Britain got The Vikings, The Saxons, The Normans who were descended from Vikings anyway. I'm Anglo-Celtic-Norman/Viking Anglo is well England taking from the Anglo Saxons-- Anglo-Germanic it all depends on the last name... I have one of the oldest last names in the English language so it's pretty easy but back time gone by they added the E to my ancestors to split from the Anglo Brown's they wanted to not the Celtic Brown's so hence why Browne exists.
Religion is a man made social construct.

Racial differences in athletics, physical attractiveness, crime, creativity, sexual impulse,culture,intelligence, disease, biology,
are realities,
bound by the laws of nature.
There is biological and psychological variation, but it is unique to each individual.

What are you ? Some kind of hardcore communist ?
No, I simply treat people as individuals and don't believe in collectivism on the basis of an incidental attribute.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending