The Student Room Group

New - And Waiting To Hear Back!

Hi everyone!

I think I am now classed as a mature student - I was 22 a few weeks ago.

I hadn't really thought about going to uni. Well, actually, that's a lie. I went for two years a few years ago, but my health deteriorated and I couldn't continue. I'll need to apply for extenuating circumstances from student finance, but I've got plenty of support from my doctors, so I'm sure I'll be okay.

I emailed a few unis last week about places. I work as a journalist at the moment, mainly freelance, and I've been working for about six years. I don't have A levels, due to health problems, but I completed 3 OU modules last year. They aren't relevant to journalism, but I hope they will show that I can cope with HE study.

I'm not too confident about getting in without any formal entry requirements, but I'm hoping my experience will count for something. I'm moving to a new area so I hope the uni will get back to me soon, and it should help me make friends in the area as well as further my career. Possibly.

I haven't sent a UCAS application yet because the uni haven't got back to me, and I'd be in Extra anyway. I haven't applied for student finance, either, as it'll take some time and I want to know that there is a chance of acceptance first!

So...I'm feeling pretty nervous. Is anyone else waiting to hear back? Good luck to everyone that is - and well done if you already have a place :smile:
Welcome to TSR :smile:
Original post by WordsAndPictures
Hi everyone!

I think I am now classed as a mature student - I was 22 a few weeks ago.

I hadn't really thought about going to uni. Well, actually, that's a lie. I went for two years a few years ago, but my health deteriorated and I couldn't continue. I'll need to apply for extenuating circumstances from student finance, but I've got plenty of support from my doctors, so I'm sure I'll be okay.

I emailed a few unis last week about places. I work as a journalist at the moment, mainly freelance, and I've been working for about six years. I don't have A levels, due to health problems, but I completed 3 OU modules last year. They aren't relevant to journalism, but I hope they will show that I can cope with HE study.

I'm not too confident about getting in without any formal entry requirements, but I'm hoping my experience will count for something. I'm moving to a new area so I hope the uni will get back to me soon, and it should help me make friends in the area as well as further my career. Possibly.

I haven't sent a UCAS application yet because the uni haven't got back to me, and I'd be in Extra anyway. I haven't applied for student finance, either, as it'll take some time and I want to know that there is a chance of acceptance first!

So...I'm feeling pretty nervous. Is anyone else waiting to hear back? Good luck to everyone that is - and well done if you already have a place :smile:

If you apply now your application will go into clearing rather than extra.
Most of the Uni's are empty (ish) now, the admissions tutors have a bit of break before all hell breaks loose after A level results day.

I would suggest telephone follow-ups to your emails to see if "anyone is at home".
Ah okay. I thought it would be extra. So would the uni be able to offer me a place, or would they give an indication and I'd have to wait to August to find out if I could actually go?

It might make a big difference to my future plans.

I've emailed again now - the undergraduate office told me to email last week, and responded when I did to say I'd have a response within 7 to 10 days. They said due to graduation things are slower.

She has given me the course directors email, so I could resend it directly?

I'll try phoning now as well. Thanks again, both of you.
Ah okay. I thought it would be extra. So would the uni be able to offer me a place, or would they give an indication and I'd have to wait to August to find out if I could actually go?

It might make a big difference to my future plans.

I've emailed again now - the undergraduate office told me to email last week, and responded when I did to say I'd have a response within 7 to 10 days. They said due to graduation things are slower.

She has given me the course directors email, so I could resend it directly?

I'll try phoning now as well. Thanks again, both of you.

Well if they said they would respond that is good, I assume it was not an automated email like they send when they get your UCAS application.
Also the uni can actually make you an offer direct, outside of UCAS, as another student reported last week, so fingers crossed for you.

But if your application goes into the UCAS process then it will be clearing as extra has now closed.

Good luck and I hope you do not have to wait.
Original post by evening sunrise
Well if they said they would respond that is good, I assume it was not an automated email like they send when they get your UCAS application.
Also the uni can actually make you an offer direct, outside of UCAS, as another student reported last week, so fingers crossed for you.

But if your application goes into the UCAS process then it will be clearing as extra has now closed.

Good luck and I hope you do not have to wait.

Thank you :smile:

It's helped posting here, I think. My OH graduated last week and doesn't remember the anxiety of waiting, I don't think.

The reply wasn't automated - she also forwarded it to the course administrator, who I am now waiting to hear from. Very nervous, and quite worried that they will say no A levels = no course.

Here's hoping my OU study and experience are enough together. I'm very excited about the prospect of going!
Thank you :smile:

It's helped posting here, I think. My OH graduated last week and doesn't remember the anxiety of waiting, I don't think.

The reply wasn't automated - she also forwarded it to the course administrator, who I am now waiting to hear from. Very nervous, and quite worried that they will say no A levels = no course.

Here's hoping my OU study and experience are enough together. I'm very excited about the prospect of going!

My wife and I both start this year, we both used OU modules to get our offers.

Good luck
Original post by evening sunrise
My wife and I both start this year, we both used OU modules to get our offers.

Good luck

Ooohh exciting! What are you studying? Congratulations :smile:

I've only got 3 completed OU modules - the rest won't be certified in time for offers, I don't think, although I'm hoping the OU might be able to help me out if necessary. Did you do a full years' worth of modules?
Ooohh exciting! What are you studying? Congratulations :smile:

I've only got 3 completed OU modules - the rest won't be certified in time for offers, I don't think, although I'm hoping the OU might be able to help me out if necessary. Did you do a full years' worth of modules?

We did a couple of years worth, but not 120 credits per year.

There is a student on here who had an OU module, and had a conditional offer from a Uni for scoring a certain percentage on the module she was studying up until the results day in August as the OU module would not be completed at that time. Universities can be quite pragmatic when it comes to mature students.

I am doing BSc Archaeology at Durham and my wife BSc Environmental Science at Newcastle. Our first year accommodation is a three bed (still have two of the four kids at home) flat at Newcastle Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending