The Student Room Group

Private Candidate A Levels

Hi all,

I'm considering entering as a private candidate for A Level Psychology and Sociology next year but I'm a bit worried that when I make my university application, it won't be viewed the same as students who were taught in a classroom environment by a teacher. I think they will have an advantage, even if I achieve good grades. Does anyone have any experience of this and can offer advice? Many thanks
Reply 1
Being a private candidate does not affect your chances at getting into uni, at all
Reply 2
Original post by lou_90
Hi all,

I'm considering entering as a private candidate for A Level Psychology and Sociology next year but I'm a bit worried that when I make my university application, it won't be viewed the same as students who were taught in a classroom environment by a teacher. I think they will have an advantage, even if I achieve good grades. Does anyone have any experience of this and can offer advice? Many thanks

agreed with ^ i am a private candidate not affiliated with any school/college and have an offer from a good uni
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies, I feel reassured!
Reply 4
hi everyone ! i am new on this thread ... I want to sit for my CIE A level Sociology Exam this oct/nov. I was reading through CIE site related to the process of registeration. I was steressed out wen i read that private candidates( in general) should submit their coursework to the school they r registered with......so their coursework can be assessed prior to registeration. My question is do i need to submit coursework for Sociology as well and if yes how do i do it... wats the framework for the coursework as i am studying sociology for the first time.... PLEASE respond ASAP!
Reply 5
Original post by nas_74
hi everyone ! i am new on this thread ... I want to sit for my CIE A level Sociology Exam this oct/nov. I was reading through CIE site related to the process of registeration. I was steressed out wen i read that private candidates( in general) should submit their coursework to the school they r registered with......so their coursework can be assessed prior to registeration. My question is do i need to submit coursework for Sociology as well and if yes how do i do it... wats the framework for the coursework as i am studying sociology for the first time.... PLEASE respond ASAP!

I don't know about CIE but if you can use a UK domestic exam board instead (AQA etc) then there is no coursework for Sociology.
Reply 6
Original post by lou_90
Hi all,

If anything, your proven abiity to motivate yourself may be a plus point. We had a private candidate last year who went off to read medicine having studied all his A levels privately.
Reply 7
I am a private candidate too, doing CIE A levels online. Although I do not do Psychology and Sociology, I don't need to give coursework to a centre because I am not required to do coursework (I am doing alternative to coursework). Have you downloaded the syllabuses of the CIE websites for your subjects? You should check if there is an alternative to coursework that way you won't have to hand in any work. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest