The Student Room Group

Betrayed by boyfriend and close friend..what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SweetReality
But I did love him and care for him. I don't understand. Are you guys saying that I won't find a guy who wants what I want? Because it's not helping me right now.

Read my post above, nobody can question you because you didn't lead him on.

There are equal numbers of guys wondering the same thing, if there are any women who want to wait until marriage. You will find one but it will be hard, that's the reality of it.
Reply 21
Original post by Wilfred Little
Read my post above, nobody can question you because you didn't lead him on.

There are equal numbers of guys wondering the same thing, if there are any women who want to wait until marriage. You will find one but it will be hard, that's the reality of it.

I didn't even realize that. This whole thing is partly my fault, I was just leading him on,not giving him what he wants. I've been incredibly naive.
Reply 22
Hi everyone.

I'm sorry if I sound whiny and/or irritating, but this morning, my boyfriend of five years broke up with me via text. We've been together since we were thirteen, and it shocked and hurt me badly to realize that our whole relationship has come to an end due to the fact that I'm "frigid" and "can't trust him enough to sleep with him". I can't stop crying, because I really did love him, and told him all of my past personal issues.

But just over an hour ago, my best friend told me that my now ex-boyfriend has been fooling around with another friend of mine whom I've known since childhood. They've apparently been fooling around for two of the five years we've been together. I didn't believe this at first, but now this childhood friend of mine is refusing to answer my calls and has deactivated her Facebook account, forcing me to accept the fact that she's done it.

Words aren't enough to express how..betrayed, heartbroken and depressed I feel. What hurts more is the fact that I could trust these two with my life, and it's painful and humiliating to think about what they'd been doing behind my back.

I live in a small town, so I expect everyone should know by now about what's happened. The only good thing about this is that I'll be moving to Cardiff come September due to university (hopefully), but I'm in tears right now, and I just don't know how to cope or what to do for the rest of the summer. Help..anyone?

I rly feel for you. I've been betrayed by an ex before, and I know how much it hurts. What you're going through though is a lot worse then what I have. Move on and find somebody else. (I know it wont be easy at all) but uni will really help you overcome this, I promise.

Never ever talk to him or the friend again. Never abuse them either. If you see them act like they don't exist, completely ignore them. If you need closure though, I suggest you demand answers from them both.
I didn't even realize that. This whole thing is partly my fault, I was just leading him on,not giving him what he wants. I've been incredibly naive.

Did you tell him from the start, or at least not long after that you intended to wait until marriage or am I missing something?

This is a genuine question by the way, I'm not trying to make you feel worse than you already do feel.

I wouldn't say its your fault. I will say that a couple need to ensure they communicate. If one isn't getting what they want or need from the relationship, then they should let the other one know. Cheating is not the answer (which is why it isn't your fault).

As I said earlier, as hard as it is to accept, you are probably better off without either of them now. Anyone who cheats on you, and a friend who gets with your partner, are both not worth it. Try to keep yourself busy. Your going to uni soon anyway, so you'll have more than enough to distract you and stuff.
Reply 25

Sad story. I would hate to be in your position right now. I don't want to make this situation worse in anyway but can I ask you an honest question:

Can you ever trust another man for a relationship? Can you trust your friends (if it's true that your close friend slept with your ex)?

I don't want you to make a knee-jerk decision to never trust anyone ever again because not everyone is a c**t. But at the same time, how can you trust people after what has just happened?

So what's your answer? How will you move on from this drama?
Reply 26
Original post by Wilfred Little
Did you tell him from the start, or at least not long after that you intended to wait until marriage or am I missing something?

This is a genuine question by the way, I'm not trying to make you feel worse than you already do feel.

I told him a year ago, when he started to give hints about going all the way. No, no, I already know now that I've been really stupid, I actually thought the majority of guys would like to wait! Evidently I was wrong.

Original post by WelshBluebird
I wouldn't say its your fault. I will say that a couple need to ensure they communicate. If one isn't getting what they want or need from the relationship, then they should let the other one know. Cheating is not the answer (which is why it isn't your fault).

As I said earlier, as hard as it is to accept, you are probably better off without either of them now. Anyone who cheats on you, and a friend who gets with your partner, are both not worth it. Try to keep yourself busy. Your going to uni soon anyway, so you'll have more than enough to distract you and stuff.

Yes, but from what you've just stated, guys need to have sex, so I don't blame him for doing so now.

I've got a job interview tomorrow, but I'm seriously considering not going.

Yes, but from what you've just stated, guys need to have sex, so I don't blame him for doing so now.

As I said, don't blame yourself, it isn't your fault. Cheating is not the answer. If he didn't feel happy without sex, then he should have told you and either worked around it or ended the relationship. Cheating is never the answer.

Go to the job interview. I know it'll be hard, but at least its something to take your mind of it. I remember when my ex dumped me I had my driving test the day after. I didn't want to go either, but did and just doing something helped me.
Reply 28
Original post by Cable
Sad story. I would hate to be in your position right now. I don't want to make this situation worse in anyway but can I ask you an honest question:

Can you ever trust another man for a relationship? Can you trust your friends (if it's true that your close friend slept with your ex)?

I don't want you to make a knee-jerk decision to never trust anyone ever again because not everyone is a c**t. But at the same time, how can you trust people after what has just happened?

So what's your answer? How will you move on from this drama?

I don't think I can trust anyone after this. It will certainly take some time.

And that's why I'm here. I don't know how, because at the moment it hurts really badly, and I've broken my phone because I threw it at the wall and stamped on it in a fit of anger, and I'm just locked away in my bedroom feeling really alone and tired.
Reply 29
Original post by WelshBluebird
As I said, don't blame yourself, it isn't your fault. Cheating is not the answer. If he didn't feel happy without sex, then he should have told you and either worked around it or ended the relationship. Cheating is never the answer.

Go to the job interview. I know it'll be hard, but at least its something to take your mind of it. I remember when my ex dumped me I had my driving test the day after. I didn't want to go either, but did and just doing something helped me.

Yeah, but, I don't get it. It's all so sudden. I mean,in less than a day, he dumps me, and my friend betrays me in the worst way possible.

Thanks. I'll try. I'm sorry she dumped you; it's a good thing you went anyway.
Reply 30

Go to the interview. Don't let the bastards ruin your life. Don't let them win.

Edit: Or as unlikely as it may be, see if you can rearrange the interview for a later time. Explain that there have been extenuating circumstances meaning that you may not be in the right state of mind for the interview. If this doesn't work, then good luck with the interview.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Cable
Go to the interview. Don't let the bastards ruin your life. Don't let them win.

Edit: Or as unlikely as it may be, see if you can rearrange the interview for a later time. Explain that there have been extenuating circumstances meaning that you may not be in the right state of mind for the interview. If this doesn't work, then good luck with the interview.

Thank you, so much. I can't seem to find the long post you wrote beforehand, but I did read it, and it made me smile. Thank you. I'll go to the interview, and try my best to get it.
Reply 32
I don't think I can trust anyone after this. It will certainly take some time.

And that's why I'm here. I don't know how, because at the moment it hurts really badly, and I've broken my phone because I threw it at the wall and stamped on it in a fit of anger, and I'm just locked away in my bedroom feeling really alone and tired.

Damn.

Well, it's gonna be hard for you to move on from this because the betrayal in this situation is immense. But no matter how hard it is to move on, you've got to be strong. You cannot allow those people to destroy your life.

My advice would be to find ways of keeping yourself busy but in a very productive way (e.g. doing your hobbies, doing exercise/sports, joining societies that you like at uni, doing some self study to increase your knowledge and intellect etc). Maybe you can also get some emotional support from your other friends. Don't cut yourself off from humanity completely but at the same time don't get too close to people again until you have recovered from this incident. This will help to avoid your heart being broken again. However, uni is a great opportunity to meet great people and you might meet someone who you actually click with and have a great chemistry with. In this occasion, try and strengthen your friendship with these kind of people (but again don't get too close to them to avoid your heart being broken again).

Do well at uni and live the best life that you can. And who knows? You may meet awesome people sometime in the future who you can trust as friends and even a boyfriend who is trustworthy. But don't let your ex win. Don't let him ruin your life. He'll only ruin your life as long as you allow him to. Good luck.

This is just my advice atm. I may be right. I may be wrong. But others may give better advice than me.

Oh and if I were you, I would try and confirm whether your close friend did betray you. But then again, according to your OP, it's very likely that she did sleep with your BF.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Thank you, so much. I can't seem to find the long post you wrote beforehand, but I did read it, and it made me smile.

Nice.
Thank you. I'll go to the interview, and try my best to get it.

Good luck.
Reply 34
Original post by Cable
Nice.

Good luck.

Thanks for bothering to help.
Reply 35
Thanks for bothering to help.

No problem.

But I'm a big believer in "innocent until proven guilty". So try and confirm whether your ex cheated on you with your friend. But even if you can't or don't find out the truth, it's still important to move on since the relationship is over anyway and you just focus on living the best life you can.

All the best.
Reply 36
Original post by Cable
No problem.

But I'm a big believer in "innocent until proven guilty". So try and confirm whether your ex cheated on you with your friend. But even if you can't or don't find out the truth, it's still important to move on since the relationship is over anyway and you just focus on living the best life you can.

All the best.

No, he called by my house about twenty minutes ago. I refused to talk to him, so he told my mum to tell me that "it's all true" and he's sorry. So I know.
Thanks.
Reply 37
No, he called by my house about twenty minutes ago. I refused to talk to him, so he told my mum to tell me that "it's all true" and he's sorry. So I know.
Thanks.

Ok. Well, I already said my piece on this matter.

All the best.

Goodnight.
I read all these posts and I really feel for you.

I went through a similar situation earlier this year and believe me I know how you must feel. I hope these kind of people get exactly what they deserve. It will take a long time to recover but its so important you make efforts to move past it and not have any contact with either of them. Curiosity killed the cat.

A year goes by quickly and before you know it you'll have forgotten about these two people who lack so much in integrity and honesty. You'll become a better person for it, trust me.
This happened to me with my ex and one of my 'friends', 2 years later and I'm still angry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending