The Student Room Group

Feel betrayed by bf

So bf and I have been dating 2.5 years. He was working with this girl who was flirty with him and I told him I'm uncomfortable with them being friends. The project finished and he has now befriended her, I keep telling him how I feel but he doesn't seem to care enough and seems to value their friendship over keeping our relationship/ my feelings, a year later and I still want to give him the chance to fix this. Should I just walk away cause technically he already made his choice and I'm begging it at this point

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So bf and I have been dating 2.5 years. He was working with this girl who was flirty with him and I told him I'm uncomfortable with them being friends. The project finished and he has now befriended her, I keep telling him how I feel but he doesn't seem to care enough and seems to value their friendship over keeping our relationship/ my feelings, a year later and I still want to give him the chance to fix this. Should I just walk away cause technically he already made his choice and I'm begging it at this point

girl, i get how you feel. but if he is clearly showing you he does not care and he values a 'friendship' over you, that tells you a lot. Your doubts are not unjustified, you need to tell him straight up how you feel and ask him what he truly wants then see how he responds but if he continues in the same way then theres nothing else you can do. the worst thing is to remain attached to him and find out bad news that was bound to come...

Remember when someone doesn't treat you the way you should be treated, it's better to get rid of them which I do personally.
She might be what is termed a "work spouse." This is a colleague one is so close to that one spends most of his or her time with at work, knows a great deal about, and in some cases, prefers their company to that of their actual spouse at home.
Reply 4
So what problems are there between you and your boyfriend directly, as opposed to just the fact of him having a female friend? How doesn't he value you?
Original post by Surnia
So what problems are there between you and your boyfriend directly, as opposed to just the fact of him having a female friend? How doesn't he value you?

Your probably ignoring the obvious with the OP stating it makes her feel uncomfortable.

If it was the other way round, you would probably call him insecure for overthinking your friendship with another lad.

Your feelings don't or should not override his life. If there is nothing there, then you should relax and enjoy your relationship.

Credit goes to you for stating how you feel over this. Honestly I would prioritise my significant other over a friend with all due respect because to me she’s like priority and there’s nothing that would be more important than her even if it were a friendship I wouldn’t give a about being friends with someone else over my other half. Your giving him the opportunity yet he ain’t realising it which’ll only hurt you more because it would be right and sensible to do everything you can to fix the relationship over just a friendship especially one that’s nearly 3 years old. Personally I too would support you in walking away because you have feelings you have an opinion you have a right to voice that for it to be considered and heard by the looks of it he considered it but has no willingness and motive to do anything about it especially with the girl he loves and also you got to bare this in mind boundaries are always put into place in relationships and following them will only make it stronger clearly he isn’t just move on and find someone better.

Get rid of him, he's more than likely having sex with her as well as befriending her
Reply 9
Original post by Mohammed_80
Your probably ignoring the obvious with the OP stating it makes her feel uncomfortable.

OP says the girl is flirty with her boyfriend, not her boyfriend flirty with the girl. So how does she feel uncomfortable if her boyfriend is trustworthy?
Original post by Surnia
OP says the girl is flirty with her boyfriend, not her boyfriend flirty with the girl. So how does she feel uncomfortable if her boyfriend is trustworthy?

It's the bit in the opening post that says "seems to value their friendship over keeping our relationship/ my feelings". That's the key.

In a romantic relationship it's fine if each person has platonic male and female friends. However the social circle should be like an onion. With the beloved at the heart. And then other people in various layers of the onion going out towards the skin.

The boyfriend is giving a too high a priority to the work friend and not a high enough priority to the original poster. It's therefore reasonable for the original poster to feel uncomfortable about continuing the relationship.

There's also a chance that the boyfriend is having an affair. Some people are very good at hiding their affairs.

It sounds like it's time for the original poster to end this relationship. Or, alternatively whenever she finds him calling or texting or meeting Miss Work Girl, she should put on her glad rags and tell him that she's going out with her friends. With her considering herself a free agent when she does.
Original post by Surnia

Where did she state anything about being trustworthy?
Credit goes to you for stating how you feel over this. Honestly I would prioritise my significant other over a friend with all due respect because to me she’s like priority and there’s nothing that would be more important than her even if it were a friendship I wouldn’t give a about being friends with someone else over my other half. Your giving him the opportunity yet he ain’t realising it which’ll only hurt you more because it would be right and sensible to do everything you can to fix the relationship over just a friendship especially one that’s nearly 3 years old. Personally I too would support you in walking away because you have feelings you have an opinion you have a right to voice that for it to be considered and heard by the looks of it he considered it but has no willingness and motive to do anything about it especially with the girl he loves and also you got to bare this in mind boundaries are always put into place in relationships and following them will only make it stronger clearly he isn’t just move on and find someone better.

Spot on, bro!
girl, i get how you feel. but if he is clearly showing you he does not care and he values a 'friendship' over you, that tells you a lot. Your doubts are not unjustified, you need to tell him straight up how you feel and ask him what he truly wants then see how he responds but if he continues in the same way then theres nothing else you can do. the worst thing is to remain attached to him and find out bad news that was bound to come...

Yeah you're right! I've had this conversation with him before and he said he'd cut her off if I want him to but it just feels controlling and I know he's going to resent that. It's more that I wanted him to realise how I feel and take it upon himself to do the right thing gym
no absolutely not! I would never put someone who I've known for a few months over our relationship and if he felt uncomfortable then I would distance myself, and I actually have done so
Original post by Wired_1800
If it was the other way round, you would probably call him insecure for overthinking your friendship with another lad.

Your feelings don't or should not override his life. If there is nothing there, then you should relax and enjoy your relationship.

Thank you for the support I appreciate it! Yeah I think that's the worst part, I've told him multiple times how I feel and he hasn't done anything about it, I think part of me is scared to let go though
Original post by Miss Paige
Get rid of him, he's more than likely having sex with her as well as befriending her

LOOL na I know he's not, for the most part he's a good guy and a good bf. Only thing that irks me is that he didn't seem to care about my feelings too much in all this
Original post by Surnia

It's not that I think he's going to do anything, its that he doesn't care how I feel. Personally I would always prioritise my partners feelings and make sure he's good so I expect the same back.
no absolutely not! I would never put someone who I've known for a few months over our relationship and if he felt uncomfortable then I would distance myself, and I actually have done so

What about if he tells you to get rid of some of your male friends that you have known for years? Will you see it as insecure?
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
It's the bit in the opening post that says "seems to value their friendship over keeping our relationship/ my feelings". That's the key.

In a romantic relationship it's fine if each person has platonic male and female friends. However the social circle should be like an onion. With the beloved at the heart. And then other people in various layers of the onion going out towards the skin.

The boyfriend is giving a too high a priority to the work friend and not a high enough priority to the original poster. It's therefore reasonable for the original poster to feel uncomfortable about continuing the relationship.

There's also a chance that the boyfriend is having an affair. Some people are very good at hiding their affairs.

It sounds like it's time for the original poster to end this relationship. Or, alternatively whenever she finds him calling or texting or meeting Miss Work Girl, she should put on her glad rags and tell him that she's going out with her friends. With her considering herself a free agent when she does.

Yes its exactly that!
But 😂😂 I wouldn't do anything to jeopardise the relationship like that hahaha
Do you think it's an unreasonable request to ask him to distance from her?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending