The Student Room Group

is it okay to be lonely?

there has been some times when ppl have betrayed me leading to me not, trusting ppl in school so instead i dont want to run the risk of being betrayed again
and im lonely but i feel ppl stare at me sometimes in school, i see ppl in my year with alot of friends but i just think being lonely is better
what do you think?
Reply 1
Hi! I hope you are doing well. I understand your situation and how you must be feeling, but let me tell you something. The word 'lonely' has a very negative connotation to it. I understand how being betrayed can lead to the development of trust issues and you will have to give yourself some time to build that again. As you do that, you may be in your own company and there is nothing wrong with that. To work on your issues and become the person you want to you will have to walk that path alone. This is also so much better than being surrounded by so many people who may or may not be genuine. I don't think you're lonely, you're just on the way to becoming your best self and true loneliness is when you're in a room full of people and cant call a single one your real friend.

I suggest that you develop or dive into your hobbies and don't bother about these people in school! No one really thinks about you the way you think they do. You will have people come along who align with your values and that will be the real deal!

I hope you feel better and please take care of yourself.
IMO, perfectly fine to spend lots of time on your own, whatever works for you. People can be introverts or extroverts, just a question of what energises them. Introverts tend to prefer a few close and meaningful connections over lots of more casual social connections, (and funnily enough, introverts can also be good a public speaking because they are speaking to the room as a whole). Also, spending time on your own gives you time to introspect and also to process information so can be a good thing.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Everyone needs alone time. Each person knows how much is healthy to them. If you do want to make friends, put yourself out there more. Talk to people in your classes.
Perhaps, you value your alone time so much more now because in the past when you've given that time to friends, they've betrayed you. Not everyone is like that. I know you'll find some good friends. Everyone needs good friends. At least one in their life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending