The Student Room Group

Nervous about meeting my boyfriend after a break… he hurt me but we have plans

Any advice would be great! I’ve been travelling europe with my friend and during that time I found out my bf had been messaging a girl a few months back during a rough patch of us. He’s made it very clear that he didn’t actually have intentions to date anyone else (I can tell) but it was his way of “getting back at me” kinda to prove to himself that other girls find him attractive cos our relationship was on the rocks. Even though he didn’t cheat I felt so hurt and betrayed.

Anyway I’m back now and meeting him for the first time in 2 months, I don’t know how to feel though. I cant decide whether this is forgivable or not because he didn’t do this out of intentions to cheat but more insecurity which was admittedly immature. How would be best to handle the situation in person? Things to ask? I don’t know how to approach it because I wanna move past it but it’s so hard how does he even prove I can trust him again?
I think if you really do like him it would be good to talk in person, but even just the fact he thought that was okay and how it sounds like he’s justifying his actions are a massive red flag. Personally, I don’t think I could look past that unless he acknowledged his fault directly, and how it made you feel. It sounds like a really selfish thing to do, and depending on your guy’s relationship it could be good to talk it through, but keep in mind you are your number one and it’s not your job to fix him or deal with his insecurities.
Reply 2
Original post by Jam12345
I think if you really do like him it would be good to talk in person, but even just the fact he thought that was okay and how it sounds like he’s justifying his actions are a massive red flag. Personally, I don’t think I could look past that unless he acknowledged his fault directly, and how it made you feel. It sounds like a really selfish thing to do, and depending on your guy’s relationship it could be good to talk it through, but keep in mind you are your number one and it’s not your job to fix him or deal with his insecurities.

Thank you this is solid advice. Just to be clear he definitely didn’t think it was okay but he said he acted out a few times in the moment and immediately apologised and tried to explain it wasn’t with intent to cheat but more him being an idiot out of fear and anger
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you this is solid advice. Just to be clear he definitely didn’t think it was okay but he said he acted out a few times in the moment and immediately apologised and tried to explain it wasn’t with intent to cheat but more him being an idiot out of fear and anger

Okay well that’s good atleast, just remember to keep yourself in mind.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
So, which was it? Messaging girls to feel attractive, which is narcissistic, or messaging girls to get back at you, which is petty and vindictive?

How old is he? What's he going to do next time there's a problem in the relationship; talk to you to resolve it or message someone else? Is he actually willing to discuss your future plans properly, like where you'll live, finances, careers etc?
Anyway I’m back now and meeting him for the first time in 2 months, I don’t know how to feel though. I cant decide whether this is forgivable or not because he didn’t do this out of intentions to cheat but more insecurity which was admittedly immature. How would be best to handle the situation in person? Things to ask? I don’t know how to approach it because I wanna move past it but it’s so hard how does he even prove I can trust him again?

What he did was forgivable. It all depends on the rest of the jig-saw that makes up who and what he is that counts - apart from the one piece of the jig-saw where his eye roved towards another when you had that rocky patch.
And also how you fit into the jig-saw of his life.

Best thing for you to do is to put this incident to one side and for you to not mention it when you see him. If he brings it up, aim to have a positive conversation about it (and not a blazing row).
Assess whether the sex between you is to good to great to Earth Moving (and not poor to mediocre)
Is he, or will he be OK on the financial side of things
How many children does he and you want?
How does he handle stress, setbacks, coping with things when they're not going his way?
Reply 6
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Best thing for you to do is to put this incident to one side and for you to not mention it when you see him.

Communication is key in a relationship, so why would the OP not discuss how her boyfriend failed to talk to her, and thereby do the same thing?

You don't brush pettiness and disloyalty to one side and carry on like its all ok; that can create resentment and more issues in the future.
Any advice would be great! I’ve been travelling europe with my friend and during that time I found out my bf had been messaging a girl a few months back during a rough patch of us. He’s made it very clear that he didn’t actually have intentions to date anyone else (I can tell) but it was his way of “getting back at me” kinda to prove to himself that other girls find him attractive cos our relationship was on the rocks. Even though he didn’t cheat I felt so hurt and betrayed.

While it wasn’t a nice thing to do I can see why he did it he was feeling insecure you were away and you as you say we’re going through a rough patch. You say he didn’t cheat and that’s the main point he didn’t cheat although I suspect the opportunity was there. You can’t be too upset I mean it it’s possibly for two people of the opposite sex to just be friends I got and had quite few female friends most of them are very attractive but there are no romantic feelings there we are friends that’s as far as it goes I know some have had a crush on me but I’m pretty good at playing dumb. So yeah it could just be they are friends and he just wanted someone to chat to.
Original post by Surnia
Communication is key in a relationship, so why would the OP not discuss how her boyfriend failed to talk to her, and thereby do the same thing?

You don't brush pettiness and disloyalty to one side and carry on like its all ok; that can create resentment and more issues in the future.

Communication in a relationship is important. But it's not as important as other things. Such as picking the right person in the first place. How you behave in a relationship. NB how you behave is important because you can control that. You can't control how the other person behaves. You can - at best - influence them. Which is why picking the right person is so important. Another key is ending a relationship as soon as it becomes apparent that the relationship is not worth continuing.

And then within communication, effective communication is better than ineffective communication. And productive communication is better than destructive communication.

The original post says "He’s made it very clear that he didn’t actually have intentions to date anyone else " Which indicates the boyfriend has already discussed this issue with the original poster. If the original poster were to bring up the topic again, how is the boyfriend likely to feel and react? Chances of a productive and effective discussion of the matter are almost nil. Chances of creating bad blood; very high.

In a relationship it's a great principle to be forgiving of the other person's faults and mistakes. To be tolerant. To not go on about negative stuff.
Discussing the boyfriend texting another girl is fine if the Original Poster (OP) does it once. And then the OP should shut up about it. It might be a last straw that breaks the camel's back of the relationship, in which case the OP should dump him now. Or it might be the first fly in the soup. In which case the OP should shut up about it for the next 6 months.
Reply 9
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Communication in a relationship is important. But it's not as important as other things. Such as picking the right person in the first place. How you behave in a relationship. NB how you behave is important because you can control that. You can't control how the other person behaves. You can - at best - influence them. Which is why picking the right person is so important. Another key is ending a relationship as soon as it becomes apparent that the relationship is not worth continuing.

And then within communication, effective communication is better than ineffective communication. And productive communication is better than destructive communication.

The original post says "He’s made it very clear that he didn’t actually have intentions to date anyone else " Which indicates the boyfriend has already discussed this issue with the original poster. If the original poster were to bring up the topic again, how is the boyfriend likely to feel and react? Chances of a productive and effective discussion of the matter are almost nil. Chances of creating bad blood; very high.

In a relationship it's a great principle to be forgiving of the other person's faults and mistakes. To be tolerant. To not go on about negative stuff.
Discussing the boyfriend texting another girl is fine if the Original Poster (OP) does it once. And then the OP should shut up about it. It might be a last straw that breaks the camel's back of the relationship, in which case the OP should dump him now. Or it might be the first fly in the soup. In which case the OP should shut up about it for the next 6 months.

The OP was travelling when she found out. We dont know if there was much of a discussion or whether it was just messages or a message from the boyfriend. And it's not just about the texting per se, it's the whole issue of the boyfriend's communication and reaction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending