The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Raleigh or Broadgate?

Notts is my insurance. I wanna jump on the accomodation application in the event that i dont get into my firm. I was looking through the accomodation and i would prefer self-catered. I've narrowed it down to Raleigh and Broadgate. Which one is the liveliest?

I am considering University park though, because i think the price for food when catered actually adds up to be cheaper. Is this true? How good are the cooking facilities for catered? How healthy and tasty is the food?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Preparing for the worst?! A lot of us here would probably find that offensive seeing as the vast majority in this section will have firmed Nottingham.

The accommodation choice is up to you but you're very late to be applying for accommodation as most "jumped" onto it back in April/May. I'm fairly certain Broadgate has no spaces and a growing waiting list now. Raleigh has places, so that probably makes the choice for you.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by scbond
Preparing for the worst?! A lot of us here would probably find that offensive seeing as the vast majority in this section will have firmed Nottingham.

The accommodation choice is up to you but you're very late to be applying for accommodation as most "jumped" onto it back in April/May. I'm fairly certain Broadgate has no spaces and a growing waiting list now. Raleigh has places, so that probably makes the choice for you.

Erm...sorry? No other way i could have put it, its my insurance, what can i do?

You can only apply before august 15 if you have firmed notts. Its my insurance, so i can only apply after results day. Some people may not get the grades for notts, so that may give vacancies at broadgate and uni park for a short while after results day. Was wondering what its like at the halls i've mentioned
Don't come on a Nottingham university forum and say that you are preparing for the worst when considering it. Idiot.
Reply 4
Original post by Meat is Murder
Don't come on a Nottingham university forum and say that you are preparing for the worst when considering it. Idiot.

:rolleyes: happy?
Reply 5
Original post by 4RealBlud
Erm...sorry? No other way i could have put it, its my insurance, what can i do?

Say that Notts is your insurance and that you're looking at accommodation and completely avoid insulting those already at the university or going there in September. If this is your attitude, which I'm guessing it is looking at the growing red bars next to your username, then you should avoid coming to Nottingham as you'll have a **** time and those of us going don't want it to catch.

As for the halls...there's loads of info on this section of the forum as well as the uni website and the Derwent/UPP sites. They are your usual standard student accommodation rooms. The things that differ, such as location, will be down to preference.
Reply 6
Original post by scbond
Say that Notts is your insurance and that you're looking at accommodation and completely avoid insulting those already at the university or going there in September. If this is your attitude, which I'm guessing it is looking at the growing red bars next to your username, then you should avoid coming to Nottingham as you'll have a **** time and those of us going don't want it to catch.

As for the halls...there's loads of info on this section of the forum as well as the uni website and the Derwent/UPP sites. They are your usual standard student accommodation rooms. The things that differ, such as location, will be down to preference.

Grow up. Why are you throwing a giant hissy fit about something so trivial? obv i've chosen notts as my insurance because i think its good otherwise i wouldnt have chosen it. Some people have it as their firm and some as their insurance, its how the system works. Just because its not my firm doesnt mean that im insulting it and if you are genuinely upset by that, then i am intrigued by how easily you are offended.

Look at me, do i look like i give a damn if i get green or red bars? Do i look sad enough to care how much random people on the internet agree or disagree with me? Do i look like i will alter my views to get a couple of green bars next to my username on a forum? You are in no place to tell me where i should and shouldnt go and i will enjoy myself in most places that i go. So please, dont tell that i should avoid coming to notts because its my insurance and not my firm, because thats the most absurd thing i've heard all day.

Going more on topic, i've already reasearched as much as i can on their website and the literacy that they have sent me. I've come here to obtain knowledge and advice that i can only obtain from people who have actually studied there and/or lived in the halls. I've had a friend that told me Raleigh is not the livliest and said that broadgate is alright. She said uni park is the best even though she lived in peters court (which she repped ofc). I just want a wider opinion on this. Enough of this "insulting" bs, i wouldnt have chosen notts as my insurance if i didnt think it was good. End of.
Notts is my insurance. I wanna jump on the accomodation application in the event that i dont get into my firm. I was looking through the accomodation and i would prefer self-catered. I've narrowed it down to Raleigh and Broadgate. Which one is the liveliest?

I am considering University park though, because i think the price for food when catered actually adds up to be cheaper. Is this true? How good are the cooking facilities for catered? How healthy and tasty is the food?

BGP if you're based on UP.

It works out a little more for catered a term, but cheaper because they only do 31 week lets and give you £5 for lunch everyday.

There's a microwave, toaster and kettle in the pantries, fridge in your room.

The food is edible - if you're fussy, I'd suggest you not go for catered. Health wise - I lost a stone in catered (from avoiding dinner).
Reply 8
Original post by yahyahyahs
BGP if you're based on UP.

It works out a little more for catered a term, but cheaper because they only do 31 week lets and give you £5 for lunch everyday.

There's a microwave, toaster and kettle in the pantries, fridge in your room.

The food is edible - if you're fussy, I'd suggest you not go for catered. Health wise - I lost a stone in catered (from avoiding dinner).

Thank you. How healthy is it? Is it all processed rubbish or do they have veggies, whole wheats and lean meats. Just dont wanna eat unhealthy makes me feel unwell and generally not on point. Also, i dont wanna come out fat (or skinny from missed meals). What's the atmosphere at these two halls?
Reply 9
Grow up. Why are you throwing a giant hissy fit about something so trivial? obv i've chosen notts as my insurance because i think its good otherwise i wouldnt have chosen it. Some people have it as their firm and some as their insurance, its how the system works. Just because its not my firm doesnt mean that im insulting it and if you are genuinely upset by that, then i am intrigued by how easily you are offended.

Look at me, do i look like i give a damn if i get green or red bars? Do i look sad enough to care how much random people on the internet agree or disagree with me? Do i look like i will alter my views to get a couple of green bars next to my username on a forum? You are in no place to tell me where i should and shouldnt go and i will enjoy myself in most places that i go. So please, dont tell that i should avoid coming to notts because its my insurance and not my firm, because thats the most absurd thing i've heard all day.

Going more on topic, i've already reasearched as much as i can on their website and the literacy that they have sent me. I've come here to obtain knowledge and advice that i can only obtain from people who have actually studied there and/or lived in the halls. I've had a friend that told me Raleigh is not the livliest and said that broadgate is alright. She said uni park is the best even though she lived in peters court (which she repped ofc). I just want a wider opinion on this. Enough of this "insulting" bs, i wouldnt have chosen notts as my insurance if i didnt think it was good. End of.

It was the fact that you said it would be the worst case scenario coming to Notts you bell-end. It was hardly a hissy fit. And you can hardly tell a 23 year old to grow up with you being 19. I still class anyone under 21 as a child, so you are a child and you've shown it here. I gave you your advice as have others despite taking offense so now you can jog on!
Reply 10
Original post by scbond
It was the fact that you said it would be the worst case scenario coming to Notts you bell-end. It was hardly a hissy fit. And you can hardly tell a 23 year old to grow up with you being 19. I still class anyone under 21 as a child, so you are a child and you've shown it here. I gave you your advice as have others despite taking offense so now you can jog on!

.............so what??? I have an unconditional at notts, making it a worst case scenario. If that upsets you, you clearly have a problem and i have already stated i obv like notts otherwise it wouldnt be a choice. So you're 23, start acting that age? As if i care what you consider a child to be. There are plenty of people older than you that are children, pity you cant see that.
Reply 11
.............so what??? I have an unconditional at notts, making it a worst case scenario. If that upsets you, you clearly have a problem and i have already stated i obv like notts otherwise it wouldnt be a choice. So you're 23, start acting that age? As if i care what you consider a child to be. There are plenty of people older than you that are children, pity you cant see that.

How exactly have I acted like a child here?! I said right from the off that people will probably take offence to the way you said it, and they did. You are childish for coming here and saying something like that knowing it would piss people off.

You won't last in Nottingham with the attitude you currently have. Then again, you certainly won't last in Manchester with that sort of attitude either so you're pretty much screwed if you don't learn to respect others a bit better.
Thank you. How healthy is it? Is it all processed rubbish or do they have veggies, whole wheats and lean meats. Just dont wanna eat unhealthy makes me feel unwell and generally not on point. Also, i dont wanna come out fat (or skinny from missed meals). What's the atmosphere at these two halls?

Just to make it clear - BGP is self-catered, as is Raleigh. I was in catered but one of my best friends was in BGP. I have no idea about atmosphere etc.

It's just like school dinners tbh. Most of the time it's okay, but some days are horrific.
Reply 13
Original post by scbond
How exactly have I acted like a child here?! I said right from the off that people will probably take offence to the way you said it, and they did. You are childish for coming here and saying something like that knowing it would piss people off.

You won't last in Nottingham with the attitude you currently have. Then again, you certainly won't last in Manchester with that sort of attitude either so you're pretty much screwed if you don't learn to respect others a bit better.

Only the ones who take offense easily. If i went to a uni and someone came up with a similar thread, i wouldnt be offended, because different people have different opinions and you dont know the reason why theyv chosen a uni as their firm or insurance. Why is this pissing you off? So i said its a worst case scenario because i have an unconditional there, it doesnt mean i think its ****. It doesnt mean i think all people who go there are scumbags. It doesnt mean that i'd think any more or less of you for going there. In fact ive already stated several times that i like it there and thats why its an insurance. It doesn't mean that i dont respect people there or anywhere else and its completely ridiculous that i wouldnt have a good time there for that reason. Also thinking that you are automatically more mature than someone based on their age is itself childish. If something this trivial is pissing you off, you have a problem, because were i in your situation i wouldnt be upset or angry or throw a hissy fit over something as trivial as this. I cant believe i've actually had to go this in depth with you over this. We're fighting over peanuts and its not worth my breath arguing with someone as thin-skinned and unreasonable as yourself over nothing, so i wont respond to you any more. Peace

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending