The Student Room Group

General Olympics Thread MKII

Scroll to see replies

Laura Trott's street party was on the One Show last night. I'm glad I hadn't changed it in the background. Oh Laura :moon:
Reply 581
Original post by SirMasterKey
Laura Trott's street party was on the One Show last night. I'm glad I hadn't changed it in the background. Oh Laura :moon:

Hows her boyfriend :tongue:

So excited for the paralympics. Dunno if Ill be here to watch the first night though!
Original post by lilabs
Hows her boyfriend :tongue:

So excited for the paralympics. Dunno if Ill be here to watch the first night though!

Yeah, he was there. :unimpressed:
Reply 583
Original post by SirMasterKey
Yeah, he was there. :unimpressed:

Never mind :biggrin: you still have as much chance as you did before.:smile:
Reply 584

Awww, thats so sweet of that old man! Must be a fortune to him. So nice of him.
Reply 585
Really don't think the Paralympic symbol is great.

_62352446_agitos.jpg
Reply 586
Completely half arsed. The Paralympics needs to completely stand away from the Olympics and do its own four year cycle beginning 2 years after the Olympics with its own committee and host city.
Original post by Mess.
Completely half arsed. The Paralympics needs to completely stand away from the Olympics and do its own four year cycle beginning 2 years after the Olympics with its own committee and host city.

They couldn't do that because the winter Olympics happen 2 years after the summer Olympics, and occurs every 4 year's.
Reply 588
Original post by mynameisntbobk
They couldn't do that because the winter Olympics happen 2 years after the summer Olympics, and occurs every 4 year's.

Well do it on one of the odd years then :dontknow:
Saw the highlights of the opening ceremony this morning, it was surprisingly awesome compared to when I first watched it. Must of missed all the cool parts whilst I was cringing and waiting for something embarrassing to happen
Can't wait for the Paralympics!!
Does anyone reckon we get more medals than the olympics?
Reply 590
GB should get over 100 medals so I'd say we are guaranteed to beat the proper Olympics :p:
Reply 591
Original post by Whostolemycookie
Saw the highlights of the opening ceremony this morning, it was surprisingly awesome compared to when I first watched it. Must of missed all the cool parts whilst I was cringing and waiting for something embarrassing to happen
Can't wait for the Paralympics!!
Does anyone reckon we get more medals than the olympics?

We got 102 at Beijing and the Paralympians are just as ramped up and extra motivated as the regular olympians. Second on the table is a given, frankly.
Reply 592
GUYYYYYYYYS!

Ennis, Bolt and Daley on the JR show at 10 :dancing2:

It'll be great :bigsmile:
Reply 593
Bolt should be great fun on the show :mmm:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 594
Original post by Mess.
Bolt should be great fun on the show :mmm:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

He's got such a character, he'll be hilarious :sexface:
can just tell!
I feel slightly guilty for saying this but I have no interest in watching the paralympics. I don't consider myself a bigot or anything of the sort but I just don't get it. What maked a disabled person want to do something like this? They can win all the gold medals they want but they'll never swim or run as fast as an able bodied person.

Let me give you my own experience. I was very keen on playing sport in school but the trouble was I was very small and only moderately talented. So I never did very well. I eventually realised I was making a fool of myself by trying to compete with the other kids so I stopped taking it seriously. I've occasionally played sport since in a purely recreational fashion and enjoyed it full in the knowledge that I'm not very good. But to take it seriously? That's for people who are really talented in my eyes. The sad truth is that however much paralympians train they will never be world class athletes.
Reply 596
Original post by KingKenny
I feel slightly guilty for saying this but I have no interest in watching the paralympics. I don't consider myself a bigot or anything of the sort but I just don't get it. What maked a disabled person want to do something like this? They can win all the gold medals they want but they'll never swim or run as fast as an able bodied person.

Let me give you my own experience. I was very keen on playing sport in school but the trouble was I was very small and only moderately talented. So I never did very well. I eventually realised I was making a fool of myself by trying to compete with the other kids so I stopped taking it seriously. I've occasionally played sport since in a purely recreational fashion and enjoyed it full in the knowledge that I'm not very good. But to take it seriously? That's for people who are really talented in my eyes. The sad truth is that however much paralympians train they will never be world class athletes.

that's why they've got a separate olympics, so they can excel in that.

...But they can be the best version of themselves. A lot of people in the Olympics probably wouldn't consider themselves elite athletes and they know they aren't going to be anywhere near the medals. They all have their own personal goals that they'll want to achieve. Same with the Paralympians. The Olympic movement is merely about pushing yourself to be the best you can be. It's not about winning or being world class at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 598

That's the difference between you and paralympians. They don't set a benchmark for themselves. They have achieved the best they can given their disabilities. Your own experience is not an experience of being able to judge disabled athletes. It's an indication that you have no drive or ambition in life to do the best/be the best at something. You'll never have the drive to be the best at what you're good at, that's why you don't get it.

Your attitude towards those less fortunate is truly appalling. Those "non world class" athletes would absolutely destroy you in every sport you can possibly think of. Do you think anyone who isn't really talented at something should just give up? Your logic is so unbelievably stupid and backwards.
Reply 599
Woohooo, so excited to watch this. Ennis looks great :mmm: and Daley! nice outfit.
and Bolt! :biggrin:

omg, kelly brook :coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest