The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by A Light Lilt
I take my last comment back, the integration isn't that straightforward.

The forces are balanced on all blocks except the end block. This is because they remain in contact, hence each normal reaction on each block to the next block is equal to the "push" force being applied. So for the middle block, there is no resultant force as the push force being applied from the 2nd block onto the middle is exactly counteracted by the normal reaction force being applied from the 4th block onto the middle. It's just Newton's third law.

(I interpreted the question to imply that the force was continually applied, which I think is correct)

Are you applying for Natural Sciences at Emmanuel?

But all the blocks are accelerating so the middle block cannot have a resultant force of zero.

I'm applying for Chem Eng via natural sciences at Emma. What are you applying for?
(edited 11 years ago)

Oh dear, I could not answer a single question LOL, and I got AA in my maths and physics AS haha, so glad Im applying for medicine :wink:
The object itself accelerates at a rate proportional to F but as the blocks remain in contact they are inidividually in equilibrium. Perhaps i am explaining badly.

Not sure. A lot of people on this website are applying to emmanuel.
Reply 1983
Original post by A Light Lilt
The object itself accelerates at a rate proportional to F but as the blocks remain in contact they are inidividually in equilibrium. Perhaps i am explaining badly.

Not sure. A lot of people on this website are applying to emmanuel.

I think you mean they are in equilibrium relative to themselves. But if your inertial frame of reference as the table then each block is individually accelerating. The resultant force on a block must be F/5 for it to accelerate.
To-Do List For Today

1. Organise folders for Maths and Chemistry exam retakes.
2. Decide which topics in Chemistry need the most revision, same for Maths and Biology.
3. Revise for ~5 hours.
4. Test what I've learned/revised.
Original post by wcp100
I think you mean they are in equilibrium relative to themselves. But if your inertial frame of reference as the table then each block is individually accelerating. The resultant force on a block must be F/5 for it to accelerate.

Well said.

If all the applicants are as bright as you then I am in trouble :smile:
I can't believe I will be eligible to vote in two months :tongue:
I don't give a bum about UMS anymore. I am really proud of my results! :smile:
Original post by ForensicGeek
To-Do List For Today

1. Organise folders for Maths and Chemistry exam retakes.
2. Decide which topics in Chemistry need the most revision, same for Maths and Biology.
3. Revise for ~5 hours.
4. Test what I've learned/revised.

Are you revising for January retakes already?
Reply 1989
Original post by berryripple

That's great :smile:
Original post by Arva
Yeah it is actually, I just finished the first episode.
Ah I'm sure you'll be able to get in! :awesome:
Worcester, Oxford is what my heart is set on, but it's pretty unlikely! :lol:

Ahh that is good! :biggrin:
Thanks, hopefully my grades were good enough. :biggrin:
Oxford is soo nice, I really like Merton. :moon:

That is the right attitude! :biggrin:

I found out I got 98/100UMS on one of my Maths modules (the one which I really struggled with) and the paper is out of 72, which means I lost like one mark. :biggrin:
Are you revising for January retakes already?

Yes.
Basically didn't put in the effort last year and am really disappointed with my results due to lack of effort.

So in January will have 5 retake exams and 3 new ones so got lots of work to do.
Also want to show my teachers that I will be working harder and maybe do a mock test for one of the exams I'm retaking. If this goes well maybe they will take that into account when choosing my predicted grades.
Reply 1993
Does anyone know where I can find AQA Maths Core 3 stuff? We haven't been given a textbook yet and I'd like to get a headstart :smile:

Cheers in advance! :biggrin:
Hey guys;
I'm kind of looking forward to A2 but I still haven't received my AS results :s-smilie:

But hopefully they should be gd: anyone else apply for Computing/Computer Science ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by JonnyTic
Does anyone know where I can find AQA Maths Core 3 stuff? We haven't been given a textbook yet and I'd like to get a headstart :smile:

Cheers in advance! :biggrin:

Heres a link to the spec. http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-6360-W-SP-13.PDF
Core 3 is on page 40.

It really just tells you the topics you need to know but you can probably google each topic or use sites like Khanacademy to learn them.
Original post by MrNeilPatel
Hey guys;
I'm kind of looking forward to A2 but I still haven't received my AS results :s-smilie:

But hopefully they should be gd: anyone else apply for Computing/Computer Science ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

That would be me. :colonhash:

But for Maths and Computer Science.
Reply 1997
Original post by Heptapus
Ahh that is good! :biggrin:
Thanks, hopefully my grades were good enough. :biggrin:
Oxford is soo nice, I really like Merton. :moon:

I reckon your grades are good enough :smile:
Yeah Oxford's lovely, are you not applying?
I love your new avatar by the way, I laugh ever time it looks at me.
Original post by Heptapus
That is the right attitude! :biggrin:

I found out I got 98/100UMS on one of my Maths modules (the one which I really struggled with) and the paper is out of 72, which means I lost like one mark. :biggrin:

Well done :biggrin:
Haii :biggrin:

Year 13 already... I am old.

Latest