The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QwertyG
Hey.. how long did it take everyone to learn M1 here??

My f. maths class covered it all in 1 hour (all the required theory).
Reply 5981
bob.jpg
Reply 5982
Original post by Oromis263
Most of it was intuitive / stuff covered from physics previously. I would say it is possible within a week? Just my opinion.

Ah how long do you think it would take for someone who hasn't done any physics previously??
Original post by silentlife
I've just started D1 and already hating the stuff you need to do for the exam - can't I just write a programme to do all of this, I keep on making silly errors. :angry:

But running through an algorithm by hand is good for you. :tongue: It makes you appreciate the subtleties of the algorithm and if you can't run an algorithm, how could you expect to design one? :tongue:
Reply 5984
Original post by A Light Lilt
My f. maths class covered it all in 1 hour (all the required theory).

lol??
Original post by bananarama2
bob.jpg

xkcd is cool :cool:
Original post by QwertyG
Ah how long do you think it would take for someone who hasn't done any physics previously??

The week was for a complete beginner to the area.

Original post by Lord of the Flies
I was actually thinking the same thing. I took myself off the stalking pages for this reason. :s-smilie:

It worries you that much? :s-smilie: They may well read it, but there's nothing here that would cause them to reject you?! >.< This is harmless chat. We do maths for fun on these threads... :lol:
Original post by Lord of the Flies
I was actually thinking the same thing. I took myself off the stalking pages for this reason. :s-smilie:

That is not likely to be effective. In this thread and others you've mentioned where you are applying, the subject and which country/city you come from. How many people do you think the college gets that meet those criteria? :tongue: Also TSR is surprisingly searchable using Google, so a tutor at your college could easily find you if they wanted.

Interestingly, what you post will usually be indexed by Google within two minutes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth
Hey guys here's a problem for you:

A computer has a shooter and a moving target. The shooter can hit any of n>1 hiding spots located along a straight line in which the target can hide. The shooter can never see the target; all he knows is that the target moves to an adjacent hiding spot in between every two consecutive shots. Design an algorithm that guarantees hitting the target or prove that no such algorithm exists.

I'm gna post it to the comp sci thread too.

When I finish HW. :frown:
Original post by QwertyG
lol??

It's not difficult at all. They probably just covered SUVAT equations (plug and go), Newton's Laws (F=ma), conservation of momentum and p=mv, friction F= mu xR and then the 4 standard forces.

M2 is a similar story.
Reply 5990
Original post by ukdragon37
That is not likely to be effective. In this thread and others you've mentioned where you are applying, the subject and which country/city you come from. How many people do you think the college gets that meet those criteria? :tongue: Also TSR is surprisingly searchable using Google, so a tutor at your college could easily find you if they wanted.

Interestingly, what you post will usually be indexed by Google within two minutes.

You never make us fell better :tongue:
Original post by silentlife
When I finish HW. :frown:

okdokee :wink:

Interestingly, what you post will usually be index by Google within two minutes.
I wonder whether a tutor finding your profile would benefit or be a detriment to your application. I suppose it depends on what you discuss on TSR.

TSR pops up quite a lot when you search, yes. In fact I think S. Silkos mentioned that he looks over the Nrich and TSR STEP discussion threads to see the reactions and comments.

It worries you that much? :s-smilie: They may well read it, but there's nothing here that would cause them to reject you?! >.< This is harmless chat. We do maths for fun on these threads... :lol:

I know, I know. I just don't like the idea of university professors reading my posts. The stalking page thing was because I figured that would be the first place they would look. They probably wouldn't go through the old pages of this thread though, so as long as I keep quiet about my application from now on I should be fine. :ninja:
It's not difficult at all. They probably just covered SUVAT equations (plug and go), Newton's Laws (F=ma), conservation of momentum and p=mv, friction F= mu xR and then the 4 standard forces.

M2 is a similar story.
Not even that.. we'd all done AS physics so it was pretty much just a quick recap plus friction.
Original post by bananarama2
You never make us fell better :tongue:

I love me some schadenfreude :tongue:

I'm back for educational purposes! As you are amazing at physics, could you maybe help me with this question? I nealry cracked it, I just need to refine my answer as an exam type answer:
Why can gravitational field lines never cross?

I said because placing an object at a certain point in the field line only moves 1 direction due to attracction, however, if 2 lines cross then the object will be allowed to move in two directions. And that isn't allowed/....

Could you help ?
Original post by Theafricanlegend
I'm back for educational purposes! As you are amazing at physics, could you maybe help me with this question? I nealry cracked it, I just need to refine my answer as an exam type answer:
Why can gravitational field lines never cross?

I said because placing an object at a certain point in the field line only moves 1 direction due to attracction, however, if 2 lines cross then the object will be allowed to move in two directions. And that isn't allowed/....

Could you help ?

Gravitational field lines represent a force in a singular direction (ie, a vector). If multiple lines were to cross, each line representing a singular gravitational field, then these forces can be resolved, thus revealing the true direction of the field.

An object doesn't move in two directions if they are to cross, it accelerates in two directions. For example, and object between the Earth and the Moon will accelerate towards the Earth more than towards the Moon, as the gravitational force is stronger. The resultant acceleration would be towards the Earth.

owtte.
Reply 5998
Most of it was intuitive / stuff covered from physics previously. I would say it is possible within a week? Just my opinion.

A week? You're being awfully conservative today :wink:
Original post by Arva
A week? You're being awfully conservative today :wink:

Saying a few hours would just exacerbate TSR's image of being a hang out for the stupidly academic types. :wink:

Latest