The Student Room Group

Exeter Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i'm the daddy!
couple of concerns about Exeter...

(would be applying with AS grades of AABB, predicted grades AAA) - but any offer from there might include an A*.... does anyone know how that works? who is most likely to receive A*AA offer rather than AAA offer?

Also, applying with a UKCAT score of 650 - hopefully ok, but do they interview the ones with higher scores first, slowly making their way down to the 650-ish candidates when they're running low in numbers of offers to make??

Does anyone know if they look closely at AS grades, or whether they go entirely by predicted grades?

According to the above and my correspondance with them, they do not look at AS grades, so presumably you could apply with UUUU at AS and as long as you are predicted AAA or A*AA with a UKCAT of 650+ (as the cutoff was 642.5 last year) you would be "safe".

I believe last year the A*AA offer was give to those who were reapplying/resit students although I'm not too sure. I think they might be using the A*AA offer this year for direct school leavers which is good.
so would a direct school leaver with (only) AAA predictions be disadvantaged compared to someone who had an A* within their prediction, at this med school?
Reply 82
Original post by i'm the daddy!
so would a direct school leaver with (only) AAA predictions be disadvantaged compared to someone who had an A* within their prediction, at this med school?

It doesn't say anything of the sort on the website. You'll be fine, A*AA is just if you're predicted an A*. Look at last years stalking page, I don't think I saw anyone with A*AA offer

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hello :smile: I'm applying to Exeter this year so I'm just showing my face on this thread :smile:
I'm a reapplicant (although I didn't apply to Peninsula last year)
Reply 84
Hello everyone :smile: I really really love Exeter, I sat my UKCAT on Saturday and got 727.5!! So pleased I got a score worth applying to Exeter with :biggrin: just wondered if anyone knows whether you're at an advantage with 3A* predictions when it comes to getting an interview? :smile:
Reply 85
Hey guys, well my UCAS deadline is in three days :frown: and I have not decided on my 4th Uni! ¬¬ Im thinking of one outside of London... So far either, BSMS, Nottingham, UEA, Keele, Exeter or Plymouth.. I NEED HELP. :frown: My London choices are St George's, Barts and Imperial.
If you guys could advise me about whether or not to apply here would be GREAT xD
So my "profile":
- GCSE 4A* and 7A's (one A* and A in short courses)
- AS: AAAA
- A2 Predictions: A*A*A* (Im scared i wont achieve them :frown:((( - What kinda conditional grades would i get??)
- UKCAT: 688
- Two work experiences (1- hospital and 1- GP) and two permanent volunteering placements.
- Hopefully a good PS.

What should I do? D:
Reply 86
Original post by JananyS
Hey guys, well my UCAS deadline is in three days :frown: and I have not decided on my 4th Uni! ¬¬ Im thinking of one outside of London... So far either, BSMS, Nottingham, UEA, Keele, Exeter or Plymouth.. I NEED HELP. :frown: My London choices are St George's, Barts and Imperial.
If you guys could advise me about whether or not to apply here would be GREAT xD
What should I do? D:

You would get an interview at plymouth and exeter with that ukcat score, so they are definitely good options :smile:

But all your stats are really good, so i would suggest applying to the uni you like the best :smile:
Reply 87
:colondollar:
Original post by jess_m94
You would get an interview at plymouth and exeter with that ukcat score, so they are definitely good options :smile:

But all your stats are really good, so i would suggest applying to the uni you like the best :smile:

Hmmm.. Thanks alot!!! ^^
Reply 88
Is it true that if you already have achieved at least AAA at A level, you are likely to be interviewed regardless of your UKCAT?
Reply 89
Original post by bssjonny
Is it true that if you already have achieved at least AAA at A level, you are likely to be interviewed regardless of your UKCAT?

No longer the case apparently :redface:
Reply 90
Original post by myyrh
No longer the case apparently :redface:

Daym, where did you hear that?
Reply 91
Original post by bssjonny
Daym, where did you hear that?

On here. Some people have rung up and apparently they've been told that the UKCAT is still considered even for those with achieved grades.
Reply 92
Original post by myyrh
On here. Some people have rung up and apparently they've been told that the UKCAT is still considered even for those with achieved grades.

Ah damn it!

Better get back on medify :'(
Hi all I'm looking to apply to Exeter for 2014. I have a few quick queries if anybody could answer.

1)Are better grades advantagous? By that I mean is somebody with 4A*'s in better standing than somebody who just meets the offer? Or is it all the same as long as you just meet the offer and it all depends on the interview/UKCAT?

2)Is there any advantage of sitting 4 A levels over someone sitting with 3 A levels (I think this one is a no but just asking anyway)

I appreciate if anybody could answer these questions for me who knows anything regarding the Exeter application process. Thanks.:smile:
Reply 94
i know you guys are probably tired of people asking "am i good enough to get in" but i'm gonna ask anyway :P my gcse's are 4A*s 7As, my AS grades are...
chem-B
French-A
Maths-B
Biology-A
however i am predicted 3A's in bio, chem and maths. I did my ukcat today and it was not good, 2450 (612.5 average) D: I have lots of work experience, i've been to 3-4 hospitals each for 2 weeks and i've volunteered at a care home for a year. My personal statement is pretty good (according to my tutor and other teachers) and i have a decent reference. I know my ukcat lets me down but do you reckon its worth me applying or would i get rejected straight away? any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by maazmania
i know you guys are probably tired of people asking "am i good enough to get in" but i'm gonna ask anyway :P my gcse's are 4A*s 7As, my AS grades are...
chem-B
French-A
Maths-B
Biology-A
however i am predicted 3A's in bio, chem and maths. I did my ukcat today and it was not good, 2450 (612.5 average) D: I have lots of work experience, i've been to 3-4 hospitals each for 2 weeks and i've volunteered at a care home for a year. My personal statement is pretty good (according to my tutor and other teachers) and i have a decent reference. I know my ukcat lets me down but do you reckon its worth me applying or would i get rejected straight away? any help would be much appreciated!

It is completely your decision but you should seriously take into consideration the UKCAT cut-offs that the previous cohorts have faced and then weight up the risks of applying.

Otherwise, your application is good! :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by HarryMWilliams
It is completely your decision but you should seriously take into consideration the UKCAT cut-offs that the previous cohorts have faced and then weight up the risks of applying.

Otherwise, your application is good! :smile:

thanks for the feedback, but do you know what the cut off would likely be?
thanks for the feedback, but do you know what the cut off would likely be?

I wouldn't like to speculate because I simply do not know but attached is the cut-offs overall and sub-test cut-offs for the past few years from Peninsula's admissions department.

Hope it helps! :smile:
Reply 98
according to the table i don't meet the minimum requirement for the overall score, you needed 2570 last year and all i got was 2450 :frown: thanks for your help though! you wouldn't happen to know any unis that i could apply to based on my whole application that i pretty much said earlier?
according to the table i don't meet the minimum requirement for the overall score, you needed 2570 last year and all i got was 2450 :frown: thanks for your help though! you wouldn't happen to know any unis that i could apply to based on my whole application that i pretty much said earlier?

Why don't you look at somewhere like Aberdeen? They are open with the UKCAT and look much more at the "overall application". :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending