The Student Room Group

The Filofax Appreciation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoftMusk
what programs do people use to create their own inserts? They look so pretty that I highly doubt they use Microsoft office??

Original post by lotteeee.
I can't help with the answer but I've often wondered this too!

I've used photoshop to do mine. You can download free trials online! (:
Or free programs like gimp will do near enough the same.
Original post by katehlouise
I've used photoshop to do mine. You can download free trials online! (:
Or free programs like gimp will do near enough the same.

Thank you! P.s your inserts look great:biggrin:
Thank you! P.s your inserts look great:biggrin:

Aw thanks! xD I got sick of the ones I was using.
Aw thanks! xD I got sick of the ones I was using.

Do you use templates and then alter?
Do you use templates and then alter?

Well I based it off an insert that DIY Fish had made, but made it all myself. I found the graph paper online, and then made my own boxes and that.
Just ordered a Personal Malden in Aqua off the Colemans website for £53! So excited!
Reply 986
Original post by snakeyface
Just ordered a Personal Malden in Aqua off the Colemans website for £53! So excited!

So jealous! This is the filofax I'm lusting over!
what programs do people use to create their own inserts? They look so pretty that I highly doubt they use Microsoft office??

I used In Design, which is a hell of a lot easier than Publisher IMO but it's a bit of a learning curve if you've not used it before! But once you know how to use it it's just so much easier (it has tools for checking everything is in the same place etc).

(And using things like Data Merge (In Design) and Mail Merge (Publisher) means you can make dated inserts without the effort! You just have to create a file in something like Excel with the info you want - most of which, e.g. day of the week, week number, date etc can be worked out by Excel).
(edited 10 years ago)
Well I based it off an insert that DIY Fish had made, but made it all myself. I found the graph paper online, and then made my own boxes and that.

Original post by Aemiliana
I used In Design, which is a hell of a lot easier than Publisher IMO but it's a bit of a learning curve if you've not used it before! But once you know how to use it it's just so much easier (it has tools for checking everything is in the same place etc).

(And using things like Data Merge (In Design) and Mail Merge (Publisher) means you can make dated inserts without the effort! You just have to create a file in something like Excel with the info you want - most of which, e.g. day of the week, week number, date etc can be worked out by Excel).

Thanks for your replies guys! I am going to try making my own now :smile:
So jealous! This is the filofax I'm lusting over!

I was lusting over it for a while, went to John Lewis twice to get a feel for the sizing and tried to convince myself to get a Saffiano... But the purple Malden was just too gorgeous so I trawled online to find the Aqua cheaper :smile: So happy I did as it's sold out now! (there is one Ochre left though!)

Colemans actually has loads of Filofaxes 30% off, I especially like the pink Breast Cancer Campaign one for £24.50 but there are loads of cheap ones! eeeeeee I want it now
Reply 990
Original post by snakeyface
I was lusting over it for a while, went to John Lewis twice to get a feel for the sizing and tried to convince myself to get a Saffiano... But the purple Malden was just too gorgeous so I trawled online to find the Aqua cheaper :smile: So happy I did as it's sold out now! (there is one Ochre left though!)

Colemans actually has loads of Filofaxes 30% off, I especially like the pink Breast Cancer Campaign one for £24.50 but there are loads of cheap ones! eeeeeee I want it now

Ive got a finsbury I don't really use so I'm in two minds about the Malden! Lucky lucky you to have one! :smile: I was looking at the colemans deal last night :frown: missed my chance! x
Hey guys!

I'm determined to try and be organised whilst at university, since school and sixth form was basically a massive mass of blasé 'I'll remember' moments mixed with frantic displays of crazed desperation trying to find out if I had missed an important piece of homework the night before. So I'm determined to be good and write everything down so I'm not going to go insane. I'm also thinking of buying a Filofax, because I much prefer to write things down, and I know that if I put it on my electronic things, I will never actually read it because I'll be too distracted. Plus, handwriting things looks so much better than typed letters and boring fonts. :smile: I'm just wondering whether a Filofax is a good investment, and if people actually have ample opportunity to use it throughout the year. :smile:

Thanks for the help!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 992
I caved :biggrin:. I had a store wide 20% off card for WH Smiths so bought an A5 for £30. I'm completely new to the world of Filofaxes though- I've got a Filofax week-on-two-pages diary up until December which came with it so ill be buying a 2014 to finish it off. What inserts would people here recommend? FYI I'm doing my A2s, so anything academic would be useful. Also any general tips would be cool. Cheers :smile:

photo (2).jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 993
Can anyone recommend any lined inserts, week on two pages. I would like to try the cotton cream inserts but they aren't lined :frown:
Can anyone recommend any lined inserts, week on two pages. I would like to try the cotton cream inserts but they aren't lined :frown:

Think the paperchase ones are lined.
I have the Charleston but will be storing it away for future use :biggrin:
Reply 996
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Think the paperchase ones are lined.

I'll take a look thanks, is the paper quality any good?
I'll take a look thanks, is the paper quality any good?

Sorry, no idea - I don't like lined diaries so I've never tried them.
Can someone please explain to me the hype about Filofaxes? Not sure whether to buy one or a diary for this academic year.. :colondollar:
My personal patent purple original came <3 <3 Love it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending