The Student Room Group
Reply 1
GrantMac
not a specific question but a big bit in an excersise im not sure how to do

'solve the follwoing equations for x, in the intervals indicated

the first one is(when i know how to do one, i'll be set):

sin x degrees = -root3/2 , interval = 180 - 540 degrees

thanks

Imagine the graph y=sinx. It's at rt3/2 at 60 degrees, so it's at -rt3/2 at 180+60 and 360-60, i.e. At 240 and 300. It also has a period of 360 degrees, so add 360 onto both of those and include them if they fall in the range (they don't, the graph is positive between 360 and 540).

I really hope I haven't ballsed up here, I'd be quite ashamed if I did :biggrin:
Reply 2
JohnSPals
Imagine the graph y=sinx. It's at rt3/2 at 60 degrees, so it's at -rt3/2 at 180+60 and 360-60, i.e. At 240 and 300. It also has a period of 360 degrees, so add 360 onto both of those and include them if they fall in the range (they don't, the graph is positive between 360 and 540).

I really hope I haven't ballsed up here, I'd be quite ashamed if I did :biggrin:

thanks you did that right :smile:

but could you just tell me how you know its at rt3/2 at 60 degrees please (its probably obvious >.<)

thanks - id give you rep but it wont let me, ill try tomorrow if you#re bothered
Reply 3
The 1,2,root 3 triangle helps. Look in chapter 8 you can find out simple roots for specific sin tan and cosine angles there. theres also the 1 1 root 2 triangle too for 45 degrees.
Learn the triangles.
I find the quadrants in a circle a hell of a lot simpler and easier to learn than imagining the graphs in my head when it comes to equations like these.

Latest