The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Really interesting reports linking Dzeko with a move to Roma, on a five-year deal according to some.
Original post by Mackay
Really interesting reports linking Dzeko with a move to Roma, on a five-year deal according to some.

With Gervinho departing, Garcia not thinking much of Destro and Doumbia...being Doumbia, they do need some serious firepower to lead the line.

Right now Inter is being linked to every wide player under the sun. Salah, Cuadrado, Perisic, Jovetic, Mertens...we can't sign all of them! Salah will probably end up at Fiorentina, Perisic costs too much, Jovetic's wage demands will probably be too high, not sure Chelsea will give up on Cuadrado just yet...but a Mertens-Guarin swap sounds interesting.

Meanwhile, I can't help but laugh at Xherdan Shaqiri's career trajectory. Bayern Munich > Inter > Stoke. His prospects went downhill very quickly :laugh:
Original post by Stramala
With Gervinho departing, Garcia not thinking much of Destro and Doumbia...being Doumbia, they do need some serious firepower to lead the line.

Right now Inter is being linked to every wide player under the sun. Salah, Cuadrado, Perisic, Jovetic, Mertens...we can't sign all of them! Salah will probably end up at Fiorentina, Perisic costs too much, Jovetic's wage demands will probably be too high, not sure Chelsea will give up on Cuadrado just yet...but a Mertens-Guarin swap sounds interesting.

Meanwhile, I can't help but laugh at Xherdan Shaqiri's career trajectory. Bayern Munich > Inter > Stoke. His prospects went downhill very quickly :laugh:

Shaqiri has a level much higher than Stoke. I think he'll really shine there and get a big move elsewhere. He could be a cult figure.
Guarin for Mertens should be interesting if that were to happen.

Also what do you think about Inter's team this season? Looks like it'll easily get top 3 personally. If not top 2.
Original post by jam277

Also what do you think about Inter's team this season? Looks like it'll easily get top 3 personally. If not top 2.

They'll undoubtedly get CL football, in my opinion.

Miranda is a really good signing. Very astute, considering their ageing central defensive partnership helped them ship 50 goals in the league last season.

Kondogbia and Jeison Murillo will only help cement that ability and added solidity.
Original post by jam277

A top 3 position still isn't possible until the problems out wide are fixed. Both in terms of full backs and attacking wingers.

Inter currently possesses a smorgasbord of mediocre full backs, ranging from the defensively inept Dodo, to the mediocrity of Santon, D'Ambrosio and Nagatomo. I'm not entirely sure Martin Montoya is much of a step up from that, though. There were talks (or should I say, dreams) of buying Pablo Zabaleta from City for a while now, but this seems far from happening.

The problem offensively is the opposite - there are no players, realistically. Contractually speaking we have two offensive wingers, both Shaqiri (who looks certain to leave after just 6 months), and Schelotto, who we may as well assume will be departing for Chievo. Palacio would once have been an option out wide, but with his pace and stamina subsiding as age catches up, he will more likely be deployed as a backup to Icardi at centre forward. So this is why we've been linked with a million and one wingers, because we need multiple.

Speaking of centre forwards, that is also a slight concern, with both Podolski returning to Arsenal from his loan, and Bonazzoli being shipped to Sampdoria. It also looks like George Puscas will leave to play for a provincial side, so leaving only two registered strikers in the entire side (Icardi + Palacio). Without some decent backup we will be crippled up front if Icardi picks up an injury or suspension.

We have purchased and retained some important building blocks (Kondogbia, Miranda, Kovacic, Icardi, Handanovic), but we are still missing quality in certain areas of the pitch to allow us to challenge Roma et al. Although we are at least a step ahead of AC Milan now - I don't think Bacca, Luiz Adriano and Bertolacci are going to solve all their problems.
Their results have started to get better, especially in the latter part of the season, so I have every confidence in them if Mancini can drill his philosophy into them and get them tactically shrewd.

I think Juventus will undoubtedly win it, but the two spots for the CL after them can be any of Inter, Roma and AC's. I don't really fancy Lazio, but they could surprise, while I think Napoli are too rudderless.
So, what do you guys think of Ravel Morrison so far? 4 goals in 2 games, according to the italian press he was excellent in both games.
Not seen him play but sure read a month ago, he wanted to come back and QPR were interested? Hope he sticks at it if he's doing well, got the talent it seems but just off field stuff not helping him.
Drogba on speculation linking him with a move to Inter, despite MLS talks: "Inter are a great club and certainly if they were to contact me I would love to listen to what they have to offer, but at the moment my only negotiations are with an MLS club."

"As far as Inter are concerned, it could become a definite option if they were to be interested."
Drogba, at 37, would be ideally suited to the MLS. Even as back-up at Inter, don't think he'd do any better than his small, but valuable contribution, at Chelsea. Maybe a step backwards for Inter considering some of the good business they've done so far.
Original post by Aky786UK
Drogba, at 37, would be ideally suited to the MLS. Even as back-up at Inter, don't think he'd do any better than his small, but valuable contribution, at Chelsea. Maybe a step backwards for Inter considering some of the good business they've done so far.

Agree completely.
They have Icardi as the main ST and Palacio as backup. Drogba as third choice is fine.
Original post by jam277
They have Icardi as the main ST and Palacio as backup. Drogba as third choice is fine.

Not sure why he'd want to, though.

He's had such a good career, and despite never playing in Serie A, he's still able to do a job with his physicality and you'd assume that the MLS would be the ideal place to see out the remainder of his career now that he's in his twilight.

I'm unsure whether he buys into the whole American culture and lifestyle, but he'd be a great DP for a US side.
Three red cards, Juve, Milan and Napoli lose, Roma draw and Jovetic scores a beautiful last minute winner for Inter in the opening round of fixtures in Serie A.

With all the issues that goes on in Italian football from the racism to the match fixing to the league (and national team) taking a dip meaning it has lost a few fans from around the world, there is something about Italian football which means I can’t turn my back on it. Glad to see the season has started again and that it was an interesting set of first round games to watch!
All hail Cyril Théréau.

In all seriousness, the game between Roma and Juventus next week is going to be extremely intriguing after both sides failed to get off to w winning start.

It's a shame Carpi couldn't start well against Sampdoria. I have a feeling they'll be the whipping boys of the division, which is a shame given their fairytale journey to Serie A.

Rodrigo Ely must have endured the worst start to a season I've ever seen, by the way.
Juve's inability to put the ball in the net was kind of embarrassing, then Udinese took advantage of the one chance / bit of poor defending. Kind of inevitable really.

Milan were rubbish, but I really wasn't expecting much more, nor am I particularly upset about it.
Wow. Sunday marked the first time since November 2013 that Juventus finished a round of Serie A games in anything other than first place.
Original post by Mackay
Wow. Sunday marked the first time since November 2013 that Juventus finished a round of Serie A games in anything other than first place.

No it didn't.

They didn't hit first place til September 24th last season.

(Anyway all the stat would have indicated is what everyone has known for years.

That Italian soccer is uncompetitive compared to other leagues.)
Original post by moggis
No it didn't.

They didn't hit first place til September 24th last season.

(Anyway all the stat would have indicated is what everyone has known for years.

That Italian soccer is uncompetitive compared to other leagues.)

Just what I read online.

Quick Reply

Latest