The Student Room Group

Universities you loved but didn't go to :D

Scroll to see replies

St Andrews!!! The people seem so lovely and quirky; declining them hurt :frown:
KCL, the course was amazing, the tutors are awesome and I loved their buildings and the location.

They were going to offer me a place in UCAS Extra but they don't give accommodation to students from London and I could not do living at home :frown:
Liverpool. Great city, great course... but my heart was in Newcastle.
I loved York and Warwick... Turned York down because they gave me an offer for a different course, and Warwick rejected me. I absolutely love Kent though, and it had the best course of the three though, so it all worked out for the best, and I'm so pleased that I'm at UKC. :smile:
King's College London
Goldsmiths College, UoL
Portsmouth
DMU
Kent. I got an offer there to study law and really liked it when I went to see it. However I didn't want to move away from home so I picked Queen Mary as my firm. Ironically I got into Queen Mary and did the first year there but then decided that law was not for me and changed to molecular biology.

Posted from my Galaxy note
Kings college london... I would have loved to have done childrens nursing there.. I didnt even apply though lol as I wanted to go away to birmingham :frown:
I loved Nottingham but sadly couldn't get the grades the course required, I loved Leicester equally though and I'm going there in September :smile:
Original post by TheMeister
I dare to use Latin, no need to Anglicise it.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/campi

On that very link it says: "Merriam-Webster online, American Heritage (via answers.com), MSN Encarta, Oxford English Dictionary (askoxford.com), all have no entry for campi, M-W and Oxford English Dictionary show plural of campus as campuses."

It's not a word mate.
Original post by such_a_lady
St Andrews!!! The people seem so lovely and quirky; declining them hurt :frown:

Yeah it is a fantastic university :smile: Where are you going now, if I may ask?

Anyways back to the thread topic, I'd have to say Cambridge
Reply 70
It was either Lancaster, Surry, Hertfordshire or York. I chose York :biggrin:

Would have loved to go to Lancaster.
Cambridge, oh Cambridge.
I loved Glasgow and UCL but I preferred the course elsewhere.
Manchester, I'd have loved to go to Manchester, but Leeds had higher requirements so I firmed them.
I loved Hull University - each time I visited, I just liked it more and more. However, the grades required were quite a lot lower than my predicted and there were some niggles to do with the course. In the end, I had it as my insurance. :smile:

None of the other universities [aside from Lancaster, obviously] really grabbed me. I visited: Bangor, Cardiff, Nottingham, Birmingham, Newcastle, Warwick and Keele. :smile:
Original post by Banishingboredom
On that very link it says: "Merriam-Webster online, American Heritage (via answers.com), MSN Encarta, Oxford English Dictionary (askoxford.com), all have no entry for campi, M-W and Oxford English Dictionary show plural of campus as campuses."

It's not a word mate.

Look 'mate', don't make it an argument - it's the nominative plural of the word 'campus', which itself is a Latin word (albeit with a different meaning to the English definition). 'Campi' may not be used regularly but it's still a word. Campuses is a word, I accept that, but it's merely a bastardised Anglicisation. Likewise, not many people say rhombi or syllabi in the same way that some choose to use the non-standard (i.e. wrong) 'bacterias' or 'nexuses' - that said, since when does a word's commonness reflect the validity of its usage? It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.
(edited 11 years ago)
I loved the University of Edinburgh. Beautiful city and a great university, but I turned it down for UCL.
Look 'mate', don't make it an argument - it's the nominative plural of the word 'campus', which itself is a Latin word (albeit with a different meaning to the English definition). 'Campi' may not be used regularly but it's still a word. Campuses is a word, I accept that, but it's merely a bastardised Anglicisation. Likewise, not many people say rhombi or syllabi in the same way that some choose to use the non-standard (i.e. wrong) 'bacterias' or 'nexuses' - that said, since when does a word's commonness reflect the validity of its usage? It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I'm afraid you're wrong about the Latin. "Campus" declines as a u-stem noun, so in Latin, the plural form of "campus" is also "campus". It declines similarly to words such as "virus" or "status" which also are "us" in the plural. Common English usage pluralises it to "campuses" and "viruses" and that is the most commonly accepted version (by dictionaries and in standardised common parlance).

By contrast, the Latin noun "alumnus" declines as an o-stem noun, and the plural form is "alumni", which is also true in English.

Ergo "campi" is wrong in every sense. It's akin to saying "octopi" when in fact the correct word is either "octopuses" or "octopodes".
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Saksham Dhawan
Yeah it is a fantastic university :smile: Where are you going now, if I may ask?

Anyways back to the thread topic, I'd have to say Cambridge

Oxford :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

It's a moot point anyway as Oxford doesn't really HAVE a campus so you didn't need the plural after all:wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending