The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Ash Music Scholarships

Hi,

I applied for this and have just got rejected without even getting an audition:frown: Feeling really down at the moment as I know I will not be able to afford any lessons at university.

Anyone get an audition for this? What standard did you have to be to get that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got an audition for easter. I imagine you'd have to be way above grade 8 standard to get it.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Oh, I got my diploma in piano and didnt get one. Was dissapointed but feeling better now. The piano is the most popular instrument so it probably has the most competition :frown:
Reply 3
Yeah, I'm going for piano as well I really hope I get it. It would mean a lot to me.
Reply 4
The Ash music scholars I know are generally really amazing. some of them have already been having lessons at RCM for the last few years. and they would have got their grade 8 when they were 13/14...

don't worry about not being able to get lessons. being next to RCM, there are a lot of amazing students there who offer private tuition.
Reply 5
*year-old thread bumped*

I just got an audition on the 3rd of April for a scholarship :smile:

anyone else?
Reply 6
Well, you have to have at least grade 8 distinction to be considered...which sucks a bit since I'm doing diploma atm.
Reply 7
best of luck to all who have auditions. The Ash scholars I know at Imperial, as I've said, are all absolutely stunning players who wouldn't be out of place at music college.
Reply 8
edit: doublepost
Reply 9
I've got an april 3rd audition too silverjonny. Very scared. I play piano, violin and guitar, but recently got 136 for gr 8 piano and thats what I'm going for. What are you going to wear??
john
Reply 10
I'm probably going to wear my usual interview wear, that's a black short-sleeved shirt, smart jeans, beige comfortable jacket and black shoes. How about you?

What time's your audition?

Well done, that's a great result :biggrin: I'm finally taking my grade 8 violin on Thursday - I emailed Richard Dickins (and went and spoke to him on the day of my IC interview) and discussed whether it would be OK to apply even though I haven't taken grade 8. He said it was extenuating circumstances - I explained how my surgery has forced me to postpone it for a year or two. Thankfully my teacher wrote a reference that mentioned that I was grade 8 distinction standard.
Reply 11
2.15 mine is. Bad luck about your injury too, that would be really annoying. I'm taking grade 8 violin in summer (jesus christ), its really not my prefferred instrument because I just find it so hard to get a good sound. Good luck with yours.

Glad you're not going to the extent of full concert wear, I was a bit paranoid. I find it difficult to play in anything other than a t shirt, so a shirt and good shoes are a good step up for me :p:

What pieces are you gonna play?

john
Reply 12
4Ed
The Ash music scholars I know are generally really amazing. some of them have already been having lessons at RCM for the last few years. and they would have got their grade 8 when they were 13/14...

don't worry about not being able to get lessons. being next to RCM, there are a lot of amazing students there who offer private tuition.

private tuition for free?
Reply 13
clearly not.
Reply 14
hello - sorry, didn't realise anyone had replied!

I'm playing the last movement of the Brahms A major sonata, and the Bach D minor gigue from Partita no. 2. I suppose, now I have an audition, I have a fighting chance :smile: My audition's at 11am-ish.

what are you playing?

(Grade 8 was good news, took Trinity but got roughly equivalent to your piano mark :smile:)
Reply 15
I'm doing a couple of cliches: rachmaninoff's c#minor prelude and the last movement of the appassionata by beethoven. Quite possibly a bit too similar in style, but I really couldn't master a bach in the time available so I stuck with these two that I know well. The sight reading is gonna be scary! Good luck with your stuff, maybe I'll see you on the day.

john
Reply 16
I think he'll be more impressed by two similar movements you can put music and style into than two movements that are contrasting but were prepared in a rush, so I'm sure that's the right decision.

I'm a good sight-reader (orchestral experience) but my pieces never work well on the day! We'll see though.
Reply 17
yeah good luck man, let us know how it went afterwards!

regards
john
Reply 18
Hey good luck everyone! Didn't know you had to apply for music scholarships before actually getting into the uni... dammit... I should have applied... :frown:
Reply 19
greeniev
Hey good luck everyone! Didn't know you had to apply for music scholarships before actually getting into the uni... dammit... I should have applied... :frown:

Have you been to any Imperial open days then? When I came to my open day, they had information on the Ash scholarships, but it did sound quite daunting...

What do you play, and what standard are you at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending