The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Languages at nottingham

Hey guys, just wanted to start a language chat to all the future linguists out there!
I'm applying for Modern languages with business (Spanish + Chinese)

What are you guys applying for? and what made you want to choose that language?

Scroll to see replies

Hey there! I’m actually a 4th year languages student at Notts so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask them here or DM me 😊
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello! Really? What languages did you choose? :-D

Original post by leapkicktouch
Hey there! I’m actually a 4th year languages student at Notts so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask them here or DM me 😊
Original post by lizloe
Hello! Really? What languages did you choose? :-D

So I do French and Beginner’s Spanish! Which are you thinking of?
Reply 4
So I do French and Beginner’s Spanish! Which are you thinking of?

OOoooo sounds like a nice combo. I want to do Spanish, beg chinese and business (as a minor)
Reply 5

How was your year abroad? Also how was doing a beginner's language at first (the first year)?
Ah, what level would you say your spanish is by the last year? :-D
Hi there, this is so late but I’ve actually applied to and received an offer for the same course at Nottingham! If I end up choosing Notts I’ll probably choose beginners Spanish because they don’t offer Irish (which I did for a-levels) unfortunately
hey!!
i have also applied to this course and accepted my offer
im taking spanish : )
If you're going to live in Nottingham, you might want to learn to speak roadman.
Original post by annonnymouus
hey!!
i have also applied to this course and accepted my offer
im taking spanish : )

ahhh that’s great, what made you decide to choose spanish if you don’t mind me asking? do you do it for a level?
Original post by gracietea
ahhh that’s great, what made you decide to choose spanish if you don’t mind me asking? do you do it for a level?

yess i take both spanish and french but i chose to do spanish at uni as i feel like i’m better at it
yess i take both spanish and french but i chose to do spanish at uni as i feel like i’m better at it

ah that’s fair, I did french at AS level for all of 3 weeks lol. I dropped it because I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the workload, so when I found out you can start from beginners at uni I was buzzing. What made you choose Nottingham?
ah that’s fair, I did french at AS level for all of 3 weeks lol. I dropped it because I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the workload, so when I found out you can start from beginners at uni I was buzzing. What made you choose Nottingham?

i chose nottingham as it was the only course that i could find that did modern languages and business as opposed to business management, also it is near enough to where i live for me to be able to commute and lastly because it is a russell group university. however i wasn’t sure if i was going to accept the offer until i saw that they had dropped their entry requirements from AAB to BBB for me.
hope this helped !!
Reply 13
i chose nottingham as it was the only course that i could find that did modern languages and business as opposed to business management, also it is near enough to where i live for me to be able to commute and lastly because it is a russell group university. however i wasn’t sure if i was going to accept the offer until i saw that they had dropped their entry requirements from AAB to BBB for me.
hope this helped !!

Oh hi there! Yeah for me, I realised not many universities allow to languages with business, so nottingham was defo a top 5. Now it's my top choice, I dont know if you guys have seen the campus but it's lovely!

Same! I also got BBB as an offer, I hope to get an A in EPQ to make it BBC.

Have you guys firmed it? Also are you guys in the Nottingham whatsapp group?
Reply 14
hope this helped !!

This is such a late reply I’m so sorry! Yes this did help. They also dropped my offer from AAB to BBB although I wonder if there were so few applicants that they felt the need to do this for everyone or are us three a special case

Original post by lizloe
Oh hi there! Yeah for me, I realised not many universities allow to languages with business, so nottingham was defo a top 5. Now it's my top choice, I dont know if you guys have seen the campus but it's lovely!

Hi! I haven’t been to the campus but from what I’ve seen online it looks gorgeous and I could definitely picture myself living there. I haven’t firmed the offer yet because I’m still waiting on a response from edinburgh. Also my parents aren’t really fussed on me moving away because the fees are so much higher (I’m from NI), but I think I’m leaning towards it if only because of the area and employment opportunities. I’m not in the whatsapp group, truth be told I didn’t know there was one aha
Have you firmed the course yet?
Original post by lizloe

heyy
i have visited the campus and i honestly fell in love haha i’m so glad it’s not right in the city centre like a lot of unis are.
yess i have firmed and i’m not in the whatsapp group either lol i also had no idea about it
Reply 16
This is such a late reply I’m so sorry! Yes this did help. They also dropped my offer from AAB to BBB although I wonder if there were so few applicants that they felt the need to do this for everyone or are us three a special case

Hi! I haven’t been to the campus but from what I’ve seen online it looks gorgeous and I could definitely picture myself living there. I haven’t firmed the offer yet because I’m still waiting on a response from edinburgh. Also my parents aren’t really fussed on me moving away because the fees are so much higher (I’m from NI), but I think I’m leaning towards it if only because of the area and employment opportunities. I’m not in the whatsapp group, truth be told I didn’t know there was one aha
Have you firmed the course yet?

Hi there! I did firm it! What did you end up deciding? :-D
Ooh wow I see, I can see their point of view, I also applied to Newcastle but because its father than Nottingham, I didn't even end up visiting the campus.
Oh did you want the link to the whatsapp group?

Oh also, I do think languages is not a as popular or competitive course. Not to say there will be no one doing it or anything, there definitely will be, but I reckon since it's not as competitive, they did lower the grade to BBB for most people, I imagine.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 17
heyy
i have visited the campus and i honestly fell in love haha i’m so glad it’s not right in the city centre like a lot of unis are.
yess i have firmed and i’m not in the whatsapp group either lol i also had no idea about it

It's lovely isnt it?! I Oooo, let me see if I can get the group link, if you want to join :-D
Original post by lizloe
It's lovely isnt it?! I Oooo, let me see if I can get the group link, if you want to join :-D

yes please !!
Reply 19
yes please !!

hey sorry for late reply, are u in the group?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending