The Student Room Group

How to make yourself stand out in Law??

Okay, so I desperately want to have a career somewhere in the Law. It goes without saying that this is one of the most competitive fields, but I believe that with the determination I have I could make it in there somewhere.

I'll be studying at the University of Leicester in September to do LLB Law, and my A-Levels came out as A*AA. However, I know that just succeeding academically is nowhere near enough.

So, pre-university I'm gunna try to be as pro-active as much as I can, when I can, in order to do things to add to my CV to impress when I leave University - I just don't know what.

Obviously there's the old join societies to show your willing to put yourself out there, and I will. The other obvious thing to do is gain work experience, however I fear that this will be extremely difficult to gain due to the competitiveness - I don't even have any family connections that could take me on.

So, my question(s) are - What is the most effective way to get work experience? Any specific societies I should join? Any other things I can do outside of my studying? And, anything I can do to make myself stand out?

That's it, thanks for reading. :smile:
Reply 1
The most important thing you need to try to get is work experience. I recommend spending a couple of hours or so compiling a list of all of the local law firms (local to your home or uni - wherever you have the most free time) and either email them all asking for work experience or send them a letter via snail mail. If you send them a letter, make it stand out - nice paper, off white envelope etc - just do anything that will make them notice it in a stack of mail :smile:
If they all say no, or don't respond, wait a while and try again :smile:

If you can't do that, try voluntary work. Work in local charity shops, just anything :smile: http://www.do-it.org.uk/ << this site is good for finding something to do :smile:

Basically, do anything and everything you can think of :smile: One of my friends on my course has become an Appropriate Adult, and I imagine that would look pretty good to prospective law firms :smile:
Reply 2
Ahh two good ideas there I hadn't thought of! Thankyou very much :smile:
Reply 3
You're welcome :smile:
Also, well done on your A-Levels, and good luck with your course! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thankyou! :smile:
Reply 5
Hi,

I know how hard it is to find work experince. Ive been looking for two years and finally got it. Try the local citizens and advice and law centre. That will make you stand out. You need to show that you are committed so try sticking with some voulantary work for a while. Also it helps when you travel to another city for work experince as it shows that you are dedicated, so i have heard anyway.

Goodluck
Original post by PigsDOfly
Okay, so I desperately want to have a career somewhere in the Law. It goes without saying that this is one of the most competitive fields, but I believe that with the determination I have I could make it in there somewhere.

I'll be studying at the University of Leicester in September to do LLB Law, and my A-Levels came out as A*AA. However, I know that just succeeding academically is nowhere near enough.

So, pre-university I'm gunna try to be as pro-active as much as I can, when I can, in order to do things to add to my CV to impress when I leave University - I just don't know what.

Obviously there's the old join societies to show your willing to put yourself out there, and I will. The other obvious thing to do is gain work experience, however I fear that this will be extremely difficult to gain due to the competitiveness - I don't even have any family connections that could take me on.

So, my question(s) are - What is the most effective way to get work experience? Any specific societies I should join? Any other things I can do outside of my studying? And, anything I can do to make myself stand out?

That's it, thanks for reading. :smile:

I'm doing an LLB in September and wanted to gain some experience as well. I've sent out emails / letters to some local law firms and have been offered some work experience - office helping etc but also "shadowing" one of the solicitors. It'll be some experience I guess. They've offered me one day a week for the foreseeable :smile: I'm sure there's a firm somewhere near you that are able to offer something.

You could also try legal departments of organisations? Council? Housing Offices/Benefit Agencies? Large Corporate places? I did two weeks at the council last year so they do offer them if they're able to.

Also, volunteering with CAB which is really easy to get into. Look online and it'll tell you what's available and you can then apply online. You can do advisor roles, telephone advice or just admin work but it looks good and is some advising experience too (I'm doing it currently, you do have to commit to two sessions a week which are 9-1 and 1-5 daily. It may be different wherever you are).

Sorry for such a long post! Hope some of it helps though :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Student_2012
I'm doing an LLB in September and wanted to gain some experience as well. I've sent out emails / letters to some local law firms and have been offered some work experience - office helping etc but also "shadowing" one of the solicitors. It'll be some experience I guess. They've offered me one day a week for the foreseeable :smile: I'm sure there's a firm somewhere near you that are able to offer something.

You could also try legal departments of organisations? Council? Housing Offices/Benefit Agencies? Large Corporate places? I did two weeks at the council last year so they do offer them if they're able to.

Also, volunteering with CAB which is really easy to get into. Look online and it'll tell you what's available and you can then apply online. You can do advisor roles, telephone advice or just admin work but it looks good and is some advising experience too (I'm doing it currently, you do have to commit to two sessions a week which are 9-1 and 1-5 daily. It may be different wherever you are).

Hi! I hope you don't mind me asking - what does volunteering with CAB involve? They are recruiting in my local area and I want to apply but I'm not sure what I'm getting into!
Hope you don't mind - I'm having a nosey online but thought it would be nice to hear your experience given that you're volunteering already?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by dr.phalange
Hi! I hope you don't mind me asking - what does volunteering with CAB involve? They are recruiting in my local area and I want to apply but I'm not sure what I'm getting into!
Hope you don't mind - I'm having a nosey online but thought it would be nice to hear your experience given that you're volunteering already?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Not at all! It depends what role your looking at doing. They do administration roles which are just filing, reception and admin stuff. I'm currently a Gateway Assessor and hope to move to an advisor soon. Gateway Assessor's work on the advice line (local and national) and sometimes face to face. Basically, taking initial details of the problem and either providing signposting services or booking them into their local cab. If its a minor, small issue then there are things you can do.
It's quite interesting and very easy to build up experience to move on to be an advisor. You've got to do two sessions a week - one session is 9-1 or 1-5 at my CAB but my local one is a part of the national advice line.
Hope that helps! If you want to know anything just message me! :smile:

Not at all! It depends what role your looking at doing. They do administration roles which are just filing, reception and admin stuff. I'm currently a Gateway Assessor and hope to move to an advisor soon. Gateway Assessor's work on the advice line (local and national) and sometimes face to face. Basically, taking initial details of the problem and either providing signposting services or booking them into their local cab. If its a minor, small issue then there are things you can do.
It's quite interesting and very easy to build up experience to move on to be an advisor. You've got to do two sessions a week - one session is 9-1 or 1-5 at my CAB but my local one is a part of the national advice line.
Hope that helps! If you want to know anything just message me! :smile:

Thanks for replying! I'm applying now!! :smile: Do you need experience to be a Gateway Assessor? I've had 12 months experience in full time receptionist role so I should be ok with that but I'm open to doing other roles too! Do you volunteer around studying/are they flexible? :tongue:
Sorry to bombard you with questions! X
Original post by dr.phalange
Thanks for replying! I'm applying now!! :smile: Do you need experience to be a Gateway Assessor? I've had 12 months experience in full time receptionist role so I should be ok with that but I'm open to doing other roles too! Do you volunteer around studying/are they flexible? :tongue:
Sorry to bombard you with questions! X

You don't need experience but obviously if you have it then it'll help. The gateway assessor is good as it'll build your advising experience up - they give you inductions, training and courses etc. The majority of volunteers have other commitments (work, uni etc) so they're really flexible. Just tell them your a student and will need to work around studying - they'll be fine with it. They will just be glad of a volunteer! Good Luck! :smile:

Reply 11

Hi there ! Am also starting uni in Sept for LLB and am hoping to get some experience as well! How did you apply for the local law firms? Did you need to have a cover letter or something like a personal statement with that? If so, what to include in it? Im obviously not having any clue in this and would really appreciate some help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending