The Student Room Group

Personal statement (Law)

How do I make my personal statement stand out? Some of the things I'm doing include attending courtrooms, taking notes, reading, using Spring Pod, contacting local firms for internships and shadowing opportunities, volunteering, and possibly applying for some law essay competitions. Is there anything else I could add?

Then there's the struggle with incorporating all these experiences into my personal statement, making it flow smoothly instead of just listing them out, all while keeping it under 4,000 characters. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Work experience is not needed for a law degree so I honestly wouldn’t worry if you’re not able to get that. Remember to only write about something in your PS if you genuinely think it adds something. Just listing off things you have done that are law related dont do anything to help you. It’s better to pick out perhaps 2 things from that list and explain why this inspired you to study law, or what interested you about law, or what skills you gained from this
Reply 2
(Original post by ScoobyZazzy)How do I make my personal statement stand out? Some of the things I'm doing include attending courtrooms, taking notes, reading, using Spring Pod, contacting local firms for internships and shadowing opportunities, volunteering, and possibly applying for some law essay competitions. Is there anything else I could add?

Then there's the struggle with incorporating all these experiences into my personal statement, making it flow smoothly instead of just listing them out, all while keeping it under 4,000 characters. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'd say don't try and prioritise getting it under 4000 characters straight away and instead make a big list of everything that you've done over the last year that you can incorporate in your personal statement. then I would say don't start with the introduction if you're a bit confused and don't know exactly what you want to say but start by talking about your passion what got you interested in law and then you can build upon that with things you've done, analyse what that thing that you've done has helped you, why that makes you a good candidate and finally add your own thoughts and opinions and just keep doing that for your paragraph. it just has to be like not a cyclical structure but it has to show your ambition and your passion for the subject throughout so don't panic about getting it under 4000 characters straight away right everything you possibly want to write and then your teachers can help you cut it down like that's what I'm doing right now
Original post by davina99
Hi everyone on this forum,

I offer tutoring advice on personal statements for Law. I have completed all of my legal qualifications and I have been helping students with their personal statements for Law for 6 years running now. I like to help all students and really help them succeed because I know how hard the process is. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like my help :smile:

That's brilliant and nice of you. :smile:
Reply 4
Hi everyone on this forum,

I offer tutoring advice on personal statements for Law. I have completed all of my legal qualifications and I have been helping students with their personal statements for Law for 6 years running now. I like to help all students and really help them succeed because I know how hard the process is. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like my help :smile:

why do you do it if you don't mind me asking? also I cant private message you because I'm new here 😅
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
I do it for multiple reasons. Firstly, I started tutoring at university and I realised that I really enjoy helping students because a lot of my students just need some guidance but they’re so capable of excelling in their subjects. Secondly, I have a passion for my subjects in English, History and Law and I want to be able to pass that passion down to other students. Thirdly, over my academic journey, I’ve accumulated a lot of valuable advice that I wish someone else had told me when I was going through GCSEs, A levels, applying to uni etc. I want to give this advice back to other students to help them.

That’s ok, I will send you a message (if I can) :smile:

damn your a good person also I can see your message but cant reply to it :frown: actually I just checked give it 2 more days and ill message you back :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending