The Student Room Group

Why do you get so many 'it has always been my dream to study medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tpxvs
Where have you pulled these stats from?

Her arse. :wink:
Original post by arabcnesbit
You clearly have issues.

To a rational person the fact that most applicants choose to go into accountancy once they fail to get into medicine would suggest that they are not doing it "to help people" or "to make a difference" or what other nonsense we hear on these forums constantly but rather to have a stable career that pays a decent salary.

I never mentioned anything about people I've spoken to and if you don't believe that doctors and medicine applicants have inflated ideas about how much more worthy their job is than the rest of us you are clearly deluded.

I'm sure your attitude towards nursing would suggest this also.

No, I have a rational brain. No-one claims that their SOLE motivation is to generically help people in some way. Who says it's inflated? The general public clearly agree that the job of a doctor is more "worthy" than most others.

And what attitude towards nurses do I have exactly? That nursing doesn't require the same scientific knowledge as being a doctor? I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find even a nurse would disagree with that...
Original post by Harbour Seal
Pretty sure cartoon network hosts it, it is crazy weird, but the pup loves it. That and sponge bob.

See (and I have never said this on TSR) I applied for medicine because if I won the lottery, and money was never going to be an issue, I would be a doctor. It's interesting, people are interesting and I love being nosy. The duality of medicine as an art and a science suits me to a T. I am the sort of person people tell things they wouldn't tell anyone else. It just suits me: I don't know how to explain it.

As for prestige, none of my neighbours know, nor my daughter's friends parents know, because I worry they think I'll be showing off. I don't think I'm smarter than anyone! (my Dundee interview was interesting... The seventh station involved my motivation for medicine and ended up with the interviewer telling me I was inspirational while I sat there saying "I'm not good enough for medicine and I have no idea why Dundee offered me an interview.")

I worry constantly about not being good enough. I start in two weeks and have been waiting for Glasgow to say they've made a mistake all of the summer. I feel like I can't actually be THAT lucky.

/selfesteemissues

Awh, Seal. I just want to give you a big hug! :hugs:

Glasgow have given you a place. You deserve to be there. Come September, we're off to our universities and we will be awesome. You'll be awesome.
Reply 63
I actually wanted to be a dolphin trainer for years. :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by K.ChosenOne
Not all students that study medicine at undergraduate level go on to study medicine and become doctors anyway.

Could you elaborate please?

Original post by Hype en Ecosse

I didn't go for medicine because of any lifelong desire (I wanted to be an army man, then a dancer (:colondollar:), then a forensic scientist, and probably more stuff in between), I even mentioned this in my personal statement.
I love science and the more theory heavy stuff, which a science degree or a Medical Sciences degree would have set me up with better, but I also like breadth of knowledge and skills, which a medicine degree would equip you with. I'd want to be challenged throughout my degree, and although medicine isn't said to be particularly intellectually challenging; it is still a very challenging course due to the amount of information.

I also like people (not just the "I want to help people" thing, I just like working with people in general!), and love to try to make someone's day better. I also like the feeling of physically being the one to do something, applying my knowledge to a situation and actually doing some work. It's also a secure and well-paying career, and I'm not going to lie and say that's not a factor in my decision, it would be foolish to go into medicine purely for the money, though. Much better ways to make money than medicine.

Having spent some time in a hospital and at GPs, I thought "yeah, this would actually be pretty cool." and went for it. I just felt medicine could give me the stuff I like rolled up in one. Perhaps I'll be disenchanted by clinical medicine and will go into research, maybe I'll decide I really like being more hands on and go into surgery, or that I hate wasting my day away in a lab and be a clinician. Maybe I'll want out altogether and go for industry, or journalism or who knows what?

Most of the stuff applicants say (myself included) in their personal statement is just to try to tick boxes and get in. I wouldn't take it too seriously!

This, exactly this!!!

Original post by callum9999
No-one could EVER get a place at medical school because a head of sixth "practically begged for him".

Agreed. Otherwise a lot of people's teachers would be calling up to beg for places...
No, I have a rational brain. No-one claims that their SOLE motivation is to generically help people in some way. Who says it's inflated? The general public clearly agree that the job of a doctor is more "worthy" than most others.

And what attitude towards nurses do I have exactly? That nursing doesn't require the same scientific knowledge as being a doctor? I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find even a nurse would disagree with that...

Nice. So you start this conversation by saying that I am generalising about all medical applicants because you believe I met 3 who had a holier than thou approach, even though I said no such thing.

Now you can speak for "the general public" because clearly they all agree that a doctor is such a noble and worthy profession.

The fact that you were the one that brought up nursing as an inferior alternative to medicine suggests you don't think to highly of it. You gave the impression that it would be highly degrading for you to even considder such a career.

You make me laugh.
Original post by MissMedic

"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!"

:lol:

Awh, Seal. I just want to give you a big hug! :hugs:

Glasgow have given you a place. You deserve to be there. Come September, we're off to our universities and we will be awesome. You'll be awesome.

Yeah, I get told off about it all the time by my friends. I have pretty poor self esteem as it is.

:jumphug: go medics! Woo!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by lilyobz
Dentistry students are even worse, "I have always had a passion for the professionalism and ethics of Dentists" oh god..

Cringeworthy...
Reply 68
I'm so glad I never wanted to be a Dr. because

(a) I'm not clever enough

and

(b) I'd be ****ing terrible. I hate sick people, I hate moaning people. Sick moaning people would have me reaching for the shotgun.
Reply 69
wanting to be a doctor for longer than another candidate does not mean you are more likely to be a competent doctor. in fact, most of the time it means that your parents put the idea in your head and it was largely influenced and not self-motivated. i would strongly advise people to avoid ideas such as this in your application if you really want a winning application, even if it's true. tell them WHY you want to be a doctor & why you think you'll make a good one, not for how long you've stared into the skies making out stethoscopes and watching house md.
Reply 70

I've experienced this from my boyfriends mother and her friends, unfortunately.
They all, as nurses, seemed to have a huge chip on their shoulder and complain they knew more than the doctors. :/
Why would you even say that? It makes them sound so silly!
Just do what you love. Don't base your career choice on mummy and daddy.
Reply 72
I had no idea we could get Adventure Time here in the UK, I've been meaning to check it out. What channel is it on?

I much prefer the "Can I turn UUE into A*AA" posts over the "I got 11 A* and a B in Textile Studies. Can I still do medicine?" posts.

I didn't go for medicine because of any lifelong desire (I wanted to be an army man, then a dancer (:colondollar:), then a forensic scientist, and probably more stuff in between), I even mentioned this in my personal statement.
I love science and the more theory heavy stuff, which a science degree or a Medical Sciences degree would have set me up with better, but I also like breadth of knowledge and skills, which a medicine degree would equip you with. I'd want to be challenged throughout my degree, and although medicine isn't said to be particularly intellectually challenging; it is still a very challenging course due to the amount of information.

I also like people (not just the "I want to help people" thing, I just like working with people in general!), and love to try to make someone's day better. I also like the feeling of physically being the one to do something, applying my knowledge to a situation and actually doing some work. It's also a secure and well-paying career, and I'm not going to lie and say that's not a factor in my decision, it would be foolish to go into medicine purely for the money, though. Much better ways to make money than medicine.

Having spent some time in a hospital and at GPs, I thought "yeah, this would actually be pretty cool." and went for it. I just felt medicine could give me the stuff I like rolled up in one. Perhaps I'll be disenchanted by clinical medicine and will go into research, maybe I'll decide I really like being more hands on and go into surgery, or that I hate wasting my day away in a lab and be a clinician. Maybe I'll want out altogether and go for industry, or journalism or who knows what?

Most of the stuff applicants say (myself included) in their personal statement is just to try to tick boxes and get in. I wouldn't take it too seriously!

You've just pretty much explained why I want to do medicine as well. It's just a shame that people feel obliged to turn out the usual clichés in their personal statements, in fear of not seaming interested enough :erm:
Reply 73
Original post by MissMedic

For me, I wanted to be an astronaut and a part-time kangaroo zoo keeper between missions :lol:
Original post by arabcnesbit
Nice. So you start this conversation by saying that I am generalising about all medical applicants because you believe I met 3 who had a holier than thou approach, even though I said no such thing.

Now you can speak for "the general public" because clearly they all agree that a doctor is such a noble and worthy profession.

The fact that you were the one that brought up nursing as an inferior alternative to medicine suggests you don't think to highly of it. You gave the impression that it would be highly degrading for you to even considder such a career.

You make me laugh.

I just used that as an example to say "you sound like someone who is basing your views on many on your experience of a few". As you're digging at the "3" figure, I'll save you some trouble and say the 50,000 figure was just plucked out of the air as well...

I thought it was fairly obvious that the public thought that? Just do a google search? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2014128.stm was one of the top results.

When did I EVER say that nursing is inferior to medicine? I said it is DIFFERENT. How on earth did I give the impression it's "highly degrading"!!! All I'm saying is that nursing isn't likely to satisfy someone determined to be a doctor - the similarities between the professions pretty much end with "they are both in medical centres" and "they both help patients". You may as well suggest to someone who can't get into a nursing degree that they become a hospital cleaner... (And no, I'm not saying that cleaners are "inferior" to anyone or that it's a "degrading" job before you start again...).
Original post by becky1237
I've experienced this from my boyfriends mother and her friends, unfortunately.
They all, as nurses, seemed to have a huge chip on their shoulder and complain they knew more than the doctors. :/
Why would you even say that? It makes them sound so silly!

I only have very limited experience in the area, but I get the impression they feel under-appreciated as a profession. The doctors get to the do the impressive stuff that gives them the glory, while the nurses are stuck with the less glamorous areas!
Original post by Norton1
I'm so glad I never wanted to be a Dr. because

(a) I'm not clever enough

and

(b) I'd be ****ing terrible. I hate sick people, I hate moaning people. Sick moaning people would have me reaching for the shotgun.

I've never got it when people say that. The content isn't particularly mind-boggling. In fact you don't even have to be that good at academics. There's some great doctors out there who just about scrapped three C's at A-levels.

Being academically brilliant doesn't mean you'll be a good at interacting and talking to people. It doesn't mean you'll be loved and adored by your colleagues. It doesn't mean you'll be able to diagnose symptoms properly. There's so much more than just being able to read a book and sit an exam.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Iamyourfather
I've never got it when people say that. The content isn't particularly mind-boggling. In fact you don't even have to be that good at academics. There's some great doctors out there who just about scrapped three C's at A-levels.

Not scientifically clever enough, please don't misunderstand me, I didn't have any interest in pursuing medicine. I am genuinely disinterested in chemistry, which I think is a prerequisite. I just wouldn't be a good doctor, mostly because I don't want to - and never have wanted to - be one.

I wanted to be a fireman when I was little.
Original post by Norton1
Not scientifically clever enough, please don't misunderstand me, I didn't have any interest in pursuing medicine. I am genuinely disinterested in chemistry, which I think is a prerequisite. I just wouldn't be a good doctor, mostly because I don't want to - and never have wanted to - be one.

I wanted to be a fireman when I was little.

Oh I see sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quick Reply

Latest