The Student Room Group

Giving med school up

Hi, it's been 4 years since I'm in med school ( it's a 7 years program) and because I loved CS I got a minor in computer science simultaneously, after our theory classes from year 4 since now I'm at hospital period. I honestly hate hospital and seeing patients, it gets worse we no longer have any holidays except new year and for only 10 days. The grad degree I want to go doesn't need medicine necessarily and I myself have no interest working as a doctor, but I really enjoyed the theory and non clinical courses. Nowdays I'm seriously thinking about leaving it for good and save my mental health but I'm scared of the regret. I'm scared of lost years of my life. I'll probably use the knowledge I achieved but I have to start over. There are three years left without any holidays and with night shifts and I dont think I can handle those. I'm basically dying in this situation as I'm in a decision making paralysis. I only need a valid statement to melt my heart enough to stay or make me brave enough to leave. Ps: the deadline is next week and till then I have to decide, please guide me if there is something you that can get me unstuck.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Quit. What do you aim to achieve by completing your degree if you hate it this much and don't see yourself being a doctor? If the path you want to take doesn't requite you to have a medical degree, just leave and stop torturing yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Quit. What do you aim to achieve by completing your degree if you hate it this much and don't see yourself being a doctor? If the path you want to take doesn't requite you to have a medical degree, just leave and stop torturing yourself.

I've gone through many to pass first four years. It's hard to leave at this point. Plus others strongly suggest I'll regret if I let go. And lastly i don't know why but whenever I imagine myself out of it it's hard to pass by a drugstore or lab or anything related to biology and not to cry. I'm getting tortured that's the exact situation but I'm really scared of leaving it because of these. I feel I can never talk about anything related to medicine because I came out
Reply 3
Original post by Hope235
I've gone through many to pass first four years. It's hard to leave at this point. Plus others strongly suggest I'll regret if I let go. And lastly i don't know why but whenever I imagine myself out of it it's hard to pass by a drugstore or lab or anything related to biology and not to cry. I'm getting tortured that's the exact situation but I'm really scared of leaving it because of these. I feel I can never talk about anything related to medicine because I came out

then suck it up and keep going whist hating your life...
Original post by Hope235
Hi, it's been 4 years since I'm in med school ( it's a 7 years program) and because I loved CS I got a minor in computer science simultaneously, after our theory classes from year 4 since now I'm at hospital period. I honestly hate hospital and seeing patients, it gets worse we no longer have any holidays except new year and for only 10 days. The grad degree I want to go doesn't need medicine necessarily and I myself have no interest working as a doctor, but I really enjoyed the theory and non clinical courses. Nowdays I'm seriously thinking about leaving it for good and save my mental health but I'm scared of the regret. I'm scared of lost years of my life. I'll probably use the knowledge I achieved but I have to start over. There are three years left without any holidays and with night shifts and I dont think I can handle those. I'm basically dying in this situation as I'm in a decision making paralysis. I only need a valid statement to melt my heart enough to stay or make me brave enough to leave. Ps: the deadline is next week and till then I have to decide, please guide me if there is something you that can get me unstuck.

You have endured so much to not even get through the end? So many hours of learning, working, hard work, losing on sleep, missing family events- just for nothing? I know there are soo many people right now who want to be in a place like you where they could have a choice if they want to do medicine or not.
I am not sure if you are from the UK or somewhere else but you have basically spent your entire life studying for this, you alevels, UCAT/ admission test, rigorous interviews to get into uni and then the constant battle in med school to not even finish your degree
You have already gone through so much and you are so close to the end line, you can’t give up now. And after you are done with this degree, you have the option to not practice medicine and go for a career in computer science BUT if you don’t enjoy CS you will always have a back up to fall back onto, only because you didn’t give up that one time you weren’t sure. I don’t think you should drop out, if you don’t finish this degree you will feel like you wasted the 4 years even though you haven’t because you learnt so much so I am sure you will get there, it’s definitely not easy at all but you have so got this! I am so proud of you for coming so far!
I really don’t mean to sound harsh if it comes out like that but I hope this gives you a tiny bit of strength
Original post by Hope235

it’s probably not the right question but why did you end up going through such a rigorous, tough, difficult process to get into medicine when you didn’t really wanted to practice it. Was there a motive behind going to med school? If there was think about it every time you feel like giving up on it.
Reply 6
Original post by anayasyed
You have endured so much to not even get through the end? So many hours of learning, working, hard work, losing on sleep, missing family events- just for nothing? I know there are soo many people right now who want to be in a place like you where they could have a choice if they want to do medicine or not.
I am not sure if you are from the UK or somewhere else but you have basically spent your entire life studying for this, you alevels, UCAT/ admission test, rigorous interviews to get into uni and then the constant battle in med school to not even finish your degree
You have already gone through so much and you are so close to the end line, you can’t give up now. And after you are done with this degree, you have the option to not practice medicine and go for a career in computer science BUT if you don’t enjoy CS you will always have a back up to fall back onto, only because you didn’t give up that one time you weren’t sure. I don’t think you should drop out, if you don’t finish this degree you will feel like you wasted the 4 years even though you haven’t because you learnt so much so I am sure you will get there, it’s definitely not easy at all but you have so got this! I am so proud of you for coming so far!
I really don’t mean to sound harsh if it comes out like that but I hope this gives you a tiny bit of strength

Other people wanting to be in your place is an absolutely ridiculous reason to do something you hate doing. And 3 years away from finishing when you are miserable is not "so close", it's a very long time.

I'm assuming OP is not in the UK but in the UK, if you leave after 4th year, you get a BSc degree so it's not like you get nothing for your efforts - perhaps this is an option where OP is too, and would open up doors to something science/medicine related that may be more up OP's street than clinical practice.
Simple answer - stop. It's not "quit". It's stop.

Stop doing this to yourself. Stop and regroup. Stop and give yourself time to think. Stop and rediscover what you want out of your own life.

Otherwise, as blacktea says, don't stop, and have a meltdown. (and btw then your body will be taking over and it's stop regardless of what your brain is saying)

Also - it's this simple. Stop.
Reply 8

I agree I've been through a lot but the rest is far harder, I have issues with hospital atmosphere and can't tolerate it well and the rest of it is full of 24 hour shifts, harder exams and ... One one side I can't think of passing through all of this losing 3 years more family events holidays and .... For something I don't like but on the other side as you mentioned it's not easy to leave 4 years of reputation. That's why I'm stuck.
Reply 9
it’s probably not the right question but why did you end up going through such a rigorous, tough, difficult process to get into medicine when you didn’t really wanted to practice it. Was there a motive behind going to med school? If there was think about it every time you feel like giving up on it.

At highschool I was new to this type of science and so I was exploring, I thought it is so cool and I love it but after passing through entrance exams ( which was so hard ) I noticed that's not my correct place, but my family kept me with various reasons to keep up and till now the pressure was barely tolerable now that it's increasing I am not sure whether I can make it
Reply 10
Original post by black tea
Other people wanting to be in your place is an absolutely ridiculous reason to do something you hate doing. And 3 years away from finishing when you are miserable is not "so close", it's a very long time.

I'm assuming OP is not in the UK but in the UK, if you leave after 4th year, you get a BSc degree so it's not like you get nothing for your efforts - perhaps this is an option where OP is too, and would open up doors to something science/medicine related that may be more up OP's street than clinical practice.

Exactly. I'm working on it to be able to get a bsc at least. If possible I believe it is the best option but if not ...
Reply 11
In every job in every moment there are people who have a 'get me out of this' I absolutely @*%$ hate it phase. Life is like that and so are jobs that are mundane or jobs that have working conditions that are just beyond awful. Often there is no way out because of debt, mortgages, kids etc Just because you are in medicine is no different. Firstly separate out your human emotional and physical needs. If necessary go sick and get medical help for your burnt out head space. You should never make a rash decision when you are exhausted. If you are not that far gone then take some time out to do all the things you need to regain calm and peace in your head. Get out into wide spaces, beautiful scenery, green spaces and just let all the worries in your mind leave you for that time you are there. Then come back to the logical of what am I going to do next? Yes you can throw away so many years of intense study, hard work down the toilet if you make a decision based on being exhausted. The trick is to build on what you have gained and never burn your bridges. This 'bad' phase won't last forever and then you have a lifetime to decide what you want to want to do with the skills and knowledge you have. It doesn't have to be a hospital (prison) for the rest of your life. You have no perspective right now because you are living in it. Go and talk to your tutors, your mentors and your colleagues and work out what options you have to regain a sense of control. Then you will realise you do have a choice. You may hate your environment, your work but there will be an end point to it, and it doesn't have to be a hospital. Speak to someone to get welfare support. In between you need to know what you can do to make life bearable. Bailing out will always be your choice, and an end point. That is always an option but explore absolutely everything so you know where your routes are out of medicine are and what you can do with what you have right now. Get your sleep banks fully loaded and then make decisions from a mind that is in a good place.
Reply 12
Original post by Muttly
In every job in every moment there are people who have a 'get me out of this' I absolutely @*%$ hate it phase. Life is like that and so are jobs that are mundane or jobs that have working conditions that are just beyond awful. Often there is no way out because of debt, mortgages, kids etc Just because you are in medicine is no different. Firstly separate out your human emotional and physical needs. If necessary go sick and get medical help for your burnt out head space. You should never make a rash decision when you are exhausted. If you are not that far gone then take some time out to do all the things you need to regain calm and peace in your head. Get out into wide spaces, beautiful scenery, green spaces and just let all the worries in your mind leave you for that time you are there. Then come back to the logical of what am I going to do next? Yes you can throw away so many years of intense study, hard work down the toilet if you make a decision based on being exhausted. The trick is to build on what you have gained and never burn your bridges. This 'bad' phase won't last forever and then you have a lifetime to decide what you want to want to do with the skills and knowledge you have. It doesn't have to be a hospital (prison) for the rest of your life. You have no perspective right now because you are living in it. Go and talk to your tutors, your mentors and your colleagues and work out what options you have to regain a sense of control. Then you will realise you do have a choice. You may hate your environment, your work but there will be an end point to it, and it doesn't have to be a hospital. Speak to someone to get welfare support. In between you need to know what you can do to make life bearable. Bailing out will always be your choice, and an end point. That is always an option but explore absolutely everything so you know where your routes are out of medicine are and what you can do with what you have right now. Get your sleep banks fully loaded and then make decisions from a mind that is in a good place.

I know each job and position has its own challenges, but some are significantly harder, I gave it time , I relaxed for a 3 month period without any stress but there are many controversial reasonings. One one side I'm thinking that ( Im not suited for medicine and of I leave it this way I can have my dream life where I do what I wanted and imagined when I was young and plus I'll be released from this so called prison) on the other hand ( I've gone through many things. If I get out there won't be a way back ever ! What if I'm doing wrong decision? And ...) I know I'm exhausted and every decision I make at this condition, it is likely to be wrong but if I don't make any in 7 days I'll be here for another semester for sure and the next semester work load is no difference. I really wish some car hits me and let me rest in peace, this is getting really painful
Reply 13
Thinking of passive options to resolve a situation just indicates you are burnt out and need to talk this through with someone you can trust. Deal with today and rest. Make a plan and find out who you can talk to about this. Find that support - within your own circles or externally with professional help and support. Whatever you decide you have your whole life ahead of you. It would be helpful for you to ensure you don't fry the mainframe.
Reply 14
Original post by Muttly
Thinking of passive options to resolve a situation just indicates you are burnt out and need to talk this through with someone you can trust. Deal with today and rest. Make a plan and find out who you can talk to about this. Find that support - within your own circles or externally with professional help and support. Whatever you decide you have your whole life ahead of you. It would be helpful for you to ensure you don't fry the mainframe.

I'm sorry I don't want to bother you or make you angry but I talked to three different professors, two therapists ( working at university students support) and many friends. But each had different approach. Many suggest a conservative approach, they believe even if I'm suffering to death ( which I'm not there yet ) I have to keep up and finish because it worths , some believe all of this misury and hate sense is built by me and doesn't have any real base. Some don't believe in preference and talent and say this is the best degree ever and just finish it .... None seems to be coming from a good place
Reply 15
Original post by Hope235
I'm sorry I don't want to bother you or make you angry but I talked to three different professors, two therapists ( working at university students support) and many friends. But each had different approach. Many suggest a conservative approach, they believe even if I'm suffering to death ( which I'm not there yet ) I have to keep up and finish because it worths , some believe all of this misury and hate sense is built by me and doesn't have any real base. Some don't believe in preference and talent and say this is the best degree ever and just finish it .... None seems to be coming from a good place

Take your BSc and walk away.It is not for you and you cannot blame yourself for not knowing what you wanted to do at 18.If you were saying you wanted to still be a doctor that would be different.You are still young so go travelling,take a real break and then decide what route you take next.
Original post by Hope235

Sounds like the sunk-cost fallacy. Either quit or, push through the next 3 years, obtain that medicine degree and go on to what you actually want to do.
Reply 17
Original post by Scotney
Take your BSc and walk away.It is not for you and you cannot blame yourself for not knowing what you wanted to do at 18.If you were saying you wanted to still be a doctor that would be different.You are still young so go travelling,take a real break and then decide what route you take next.

Thank you 🥲. I'll definitely try for it but I'm not sure whether my university will agree to give a bsc degree. I've heard some universities only leave you with associate degrees. I'll stuck if I try to solve it , I don't have guts to fully quit and I don't have power and mind resources to tolerate the next three years. I don't know why I hate hospital this much, it makes me scared and nervous even after a year being in it
Reply 18
Original post by Hope235
Thank you 🥲. I'll definitely try for it but I'm not sure whether my university will agree to give a bsc degree. I've heard some universities only leave you with associate degrees. I'll stuck if I try to solve it , I don't have guts to fully quit and I don't have power and mind resources to tolerate the next three years. I don't know why I hate hospital this much, it makes me scared and nervous even after a year being in it

To me it plainly sounds like you have actually had enough.Have you contacted admissions at the grad course uni and explained your situation You will need to clarify what degree you would leave with.Be brave and just say you are exploring your options which is fine btw.Do not destroy your mental health over this as that helps no one.Not everyone is cut out for medicine and as one of our wisest heads on here used to say if you are choosing between medicine and another subject do not choose medicine.
Reply 19
Original post by Scotney
To me it plainly sounds like you have actually had enough.Have you contacted admissions at the grad course uni and explained your situation You will need to clarify what degree you would leave with.Be brave and just say you are exploring your options which is fine btw.Do not destroy your mental health over this as that helps no one.Not everyone is cut out for medicine and as one of our wisest heads on here used to say if you are choosing between medicine and another subject do not choose medicine.

Thank you for your kindness. You are so right 😓 il carrying this situation for 1.5 years now , there was no second beside the hours I was asleep that I didnt think about what should I do and how I should solve this situation. I was always scared of regretful leave from med school and also this repel from hospital was driving me insane , I'll fully explain my situation to students administration and seek for help, but I'm not sure whether they care or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending