The Student Room Group

"How can a university have no vowels?" or, madders94 goes to Glyndwr!

Hey! First of all, let me explain the title of this blog. One of the main comments I've had from people when telling them which university I'm going to (people from outside Wales, that is), is - "Why does it have no vowels?". It seems to really jump out at people and confuse them that a university name can have no vowels in it. It's a Welsh university, and in Wales, our vowels are - a, e, i, o, u, w and y - so actually it has two vowels in the name :tongue: but it's funny to hear that same remark again and again.

Secondly, let me introduce myself - I'm madders94 or Maddy, I'm 18 and this September I'm off to Glyndwr University in Wrexham to study Theatre, Television and Performance. Other comments I've had regarding this have included "Is that even a university?" and "Why are you going to a university with such low reputation?". My response is that yes, Glyndwr is a very new university, and I don't care about reputation - I've visited Glyndwr and absolutely love it :smile:

Last year's freshers blogs have been helpful to me in preparing to go to university, so I hope this will be helpful to others in some way or another! My journey to uni and my plans for afterwards are somewhat different to most, and it's quite difficult to explain but I'll give it a go. In September I applied for five drama courses, including the one at Glyndwr. I got offers and interviews for all of them. Then I decided that I wanted to be a nurse, but thanks to being poorly, that went down the drain, so I got a place at Bangor to do Creative Studies. A week before results day, I decided that no, I was wrong all along and I want to go to Glyndwr. So I chose to go into Clearing after getting my A Level results (ABB) and got an offer for Glyndwr. I'll explain what I want to do after uni in another post later on.

I live in a tiny village on the west coast of Wales - and when I say on the coast, I mean on the coast! There's four houses and a few fields separating my house and the beach, and I can see the sea right from where I'm sitting here now in my bedroom, typing away. That's something I'm really going to miss when I re-locate up north - whilst I'm glad it's still Wales, Wrexham does seem very far away from the beach, and I'm going to miss early morning walks. Still, hopefully I'll be home before next summer properly starts, so I can make the most of beach time!

Leaving my family and fiancé behind is going to be very difficult - again, I'll write more about this at a later date or this post will end up being a TL;DR case! Thanks for reading - if you've made it this far, I salute you! - and I promise not all posts will be as long-winded as this! :smile:

Anyway, today is the 5th September which means -

12 days until I move to Wrexham!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know I said I wouldn't update again until it's closer but this is for any future freshers.

BE ORGANIZED. Get your ID sorted early. I'm now facing not being able to drink for the first few days of freshers due to waiting for my provisional to arrive. And no-one wants that. SO GET YOUR ID SORTED ASAP!!!

Oh, and also -

10 DAYS UNTIL I MOVE TO WREXHAM!
Reply 2
Original post by madders94
I know I said I wouldn't update again until it's closer but this is for any future freshers.

BE ORGANIZED. Get your ID sorted early. I'm now facing not being able to drink for the first few days of freshers due to waiting for my provisional to arrive. And no-one wants that. SO GET YOUR ID SORTED ASAP!!!

Oh, and also -

Hey.

When did you send off your DVLA form where you have to sign, date, and attach a passport photo?

I did that today, and should be getting the provisional in 2 weeks.

So the 21st Sept?
I am afraid I am one of those cretins that asked why does Glyndwr have no vowels...

I'm sorry :cry2:
Reply 4
Original post by AspiringGenius
I am afraid I am one of those cretins that asked why does Glyndwr have no vowels...

Not so good for an aspiring genius. :wink:

Oh, and also -

You could just use your passport?
Reply 6
How do you pronounce it? :colondollar:
Original post by liamb109
Not so good for an aspiring genius. :wink:

Maybe I should make a blog about this comment which I always get whenever I do something less than smart... I am not a genius and I don't claim to be, my user name is AspiringGenius hence I am aiming to be a great mind, but currently am not :tongue:
Original post by Harley

Glen-dor would be my attempt, don't know how accurate that is :/
Original post by crocker710
Glen-dor would be my attempt, don't know how accurate that is :/

I was going to ask the same thing, I'm thinking it as "glin-deer" though!

Good luck at uni, 10 days is so close! Everything ready to go? :smile:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

I'm only going off this, as it's named after him, good ol' history nerdz

0:48 first said

[video="youtube;ySW4JXYhjvU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySW4JXYhjvU[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Maybe I should make a blog about this comment which I always get whenever I do something less than smart... I am not a genius and I don't claim to be, my user name is AspiringGenius hence I am aiming to be a great mind, but currently am not :tongue:

I figured you got that comment often but someone had to step up to the plate. :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by tehforum
Hey.

When did you send off your DVLA form where you have to sign, date, and attach a passport photo?

I did that today, and should be getting the provisional in 2 weeks.

So the 21st Sept?

Nah, they're sending me a form about that but friends have said that from filling in the online form they had the actual provisional within a week.

Don't be sorry, I think it's so funny because I never noticed it before!

Original post by crocker710
You could just use your passport?

It expired (not got the corner cut off it though), I'm hoping some places will accept it but may as well make sure by getting a provisional.

Original post by Harley

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

It's pronounced "Glin-door" or if you want it to be properly Welsh, "glin-dooohr" (with the "ooh" like you're really interested in something :tongue: )

Um this video is probably best at pronouncing it :tongue: right at the start, when it talks about Owain Glyndwr :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VofnIA4av7g&feature=related

I think I'm pretty much ready, I've bought everything new that I need and now it's just a case of packing stuff I already have :smile:
Reply 13
Nah, they're sending me a form about that but friends have said that from filling in the online form they had the actual provisional within a week.

Don't be sorry, I think it's so funny because I never noticed it before!

It expired (not got the corner cut off it though), I'm hoping some places will accept it but may as well make sure by getting a provisional.

It's pronounced "Glin-door" or if you want it to be properly Welsh, "glin-dooohr" (with the "ooh" like you're really interested in something :tongue: )

Um this video is probably best at pronouncing it :tongue: right at the start, when it talks about Owain Glyndwr :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VofnIA4av7g&feature=related

I think I'm pretty much ready, I've bought everything new that I need and now it's just a case of packing stuff I already have :smile:

Thanks! I'm now having a go at saying it in my best Welsh accent!
Reply 14

I did it online.

I submitted it 3 days ago, got the form which I outlined above today, and sent it off today, so I should be getting it within a week- according to the experiences of your friends.

That's good.
Reply 15
Original post by tehforum
I did it online.

I submitted it 3 days ago, got the form which I outlined above today, and sent it off today, so I should be getting it within a week- according to the experiences of your friends.

That's good.

Fingers crossed :biggrin:
Reply 16

Lmao, just take them on a day trip to llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and give them a free meal if they can pronounce it :biggrin:

I live in West Wales too, in the UK's smallest city to be precise :colondollar:

The Red Bull UK diving is currently taking place in Abereiddy (pronounced "aber-eye-thee) which is around 10 mins away.

Good luck in Wrexham!
Reply 17
Going for fda business management.Hope I get My Visa Really excited to go to wales.Never been to uk Before.How is the wrexham area?I love beaches and coasts are there any nearby?

Also i would be arriving at heathrow.Do regular trains go to wrexham from London Frequently?I dont want to get Stuck And be late.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by raheel1
Going for fda business management.Hope I get My Visa Really excited to go to wales.Never been to uk Before.How is the wrexham area?I love beaches and coasts are there any nearby?

Also i would be arriving at heathrow.Do regular trains go to wrexham from London Frequently?I dont want to get Stuck And be late.

The Wrexham area is quite nice, but I think the nearest proper beach is Talacre, which is about 25 miles away and I'm not sure what travel is like to there - I'm really going to miss the beach!

With regards to the train, this website is pretty good -http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/HEATHROW/Wrexham/100912/0830/dep - there's two changes but it looks like every hour there's an underground from Heathrow to London Euston which is the main London train station. From Euston you can get pretty much anywhere, and every hour there's a train up to Chester, when you get to Chester you change onto a train for Wrexham :smile:
Reply 19
The Wrexham area is quite nice, but I think the nearest proper beach is Talacre, which is about 25 miles away and I'm not sure what travel is like to there - I'm really going to miss the beach!

With regards to the train, this website is pretty good -http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/HEATHROW/Wrexham/100912/0830/dep - there's two changes but it looks like every hour there's an underground from Heathrow to London Euston which is the main London train station. From Euston you can get pretty much anywhere, and every hour there's a train up to Chester, when you get to Chester you change onto a train for Wrexham :smile:

Thanks that Helped...:smile:

Excited going to glyndwr even more excited going to wales as I heard its really Beautiful..

Is it easy to find a part time job in wrexham?

Also is the weather the same as in england?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending