The Student Room Group

english lit paragraph !!

Hi can someone plz give me feedback on this? i rlly want to improve my english lit for gcses which are soon and it would really help.
It’s a comparison paragraph of The prelude and ozymandias :

In Ozymandias, Shelley clearly shows nature and time to have a significantly larger amount of power than mankind. This is shown where it says, “the lone and level sands stretch far away.” This quote demonstrates how the pharoah’s work is gone and lost to the ‘sands’ which could metaphorically represent time of which show how he lost all his status and value due to time’s power. The alliteration gives the sentence a longlasting sound and tone as if to visualise the sands themselves. This juxtaposes the power and ego of the pharoah and how none of it remains. The quote could also be a metaphor to describe how in life we could be different but in death we are all equal. This represents to the reader how nature and time always have more power regardless of how significant you are.
This is also represented in The Prelude of which also strongly demonstrates the idea of man versus nature, and that nature inevitably holds more control. This can be implied through the personification in the quote, “led by her”. Wandsworth may have done this to personify her to be a mother leading a child or he is referring to ‘Mother nature.’ This connotes to the contrast of how nature nurtures the entire planet, similar to how a women nurtures her child. This shows natures superiority power over mankind. The use of female pronouns links to femininity and creation and nurturing of life as a mother does. Wandsowrth does this to possibly suggest how when he was younger nature looked and cared for him. To the reader we see how nature holds power over the planet and its creations. Alternatively, the verb ‘led’ could suggest that the speaker is bewildered by the beauty of nature and follows her. This further suggests how easily nature overpowers man.
thank youuu
Original post by s.248
Hi can someone plz give me feedback on this? i rlly want to improve my english lit for gcses which are soon and it would really help.
In Ozymandias, Shelley clearly shows nature and time to have a significantly larger amount of power than mankind. This is shown where it says, “the lone and level sands stretch far away.” This quote demonstrates how the pharoah’s work is gone and lost to the ‘sands’ which could metaphorically represent time of which show how he lost all his status and value due to time’s power. The alliteration gives the sentence a longlasting sound and tone as if to visualise the sands themselves. This juxtaposes the power and ego of the pharoah and how none of it remains. The quote could also be a metaphor to describe how in life we could be different but in death we are all equal. This represents to the reader how nature and time always have more power regardless of how significant you are.
This is also represented in The Prelude of which also strongly demonstrates the idea of man versus nature, and that nature inevitably holds more control. This can be implied through the personification in the quote, “led by her”. Wandsworth may have done this to personify her to be a mother leading a child or he is referring to ‘Mother nature.’ This connotes to the contrast of how nature nurtures the entire planet, similar to how a women nurtures her child. This shows natures superiority power over mankind. The use of female pronouns links to femininity and creation and nurturing of life as a mother does. Wandsowrth does this to possibly suggest how when he was younger nature looked and cared for him. To the reader we see how nature holds power over the planet and its creations. Alternatively, the verb ‘led’ could suggest that the speaker is bewildered by the beauty of nature and follows her. This further suggests how easily nature overpowers man.
thank youuu

. this question is about comparing and contrasting. I'll give some general tips aswell.

remember for english lit, use your own opinion,
what do you speculate the deeper meaning of the poem is. if you have a unique viewpoint, for one, you can present things better as most people learn from the ideas a teacher says. nothing wrong with it but a lot of people do it. Like reacting some catechism. If you have something special use it. format with " perhaps this could mean x "( your opinion). its shows you are trying to explore a deeper meaning you think about.

personally I would start with something like both shelley and Wordsworth explore the effects of power.
this is because it gets the point across what is the similarity or difference. If directly gives the person the point, and perhaps a deeper meaning that you are implying, you can build on this towards the end of you paragraph/essay where you link your point back to the end.

both infact do look at the power of nature. the way the look at it is very different however in Wordsworth's epic poem he goes on an almost fairylike trip to encounter the power of nature willfully, whereas in shelley's poem he contrasts the power of the pharoph ( who resists change), with the omnipotent power of nature.
both shelley and Wordsworth explore the effects of power. the way they both look at it is very different. in Wordsworth's epic poem, he goes on an almost fairylike trip to encounter the power of nature willfully and accepts it, whereas in Shelley's pertachan sonnet he contrasts the individual power of the pharoph ( who resists change), with the pluralistic power of nature.

an example of what I would perhaps say.
for the substance part of you paragraph for ozyamandias.

i would sightly develop that point and say while the power of human, is powerful and short, as seen by the fact that a great metropolis and stature that once existed. eventually the slow but absolute power of nature catches up and the fragility of this once totlatiran power of a ruler dissipates. ( its kinda like a cheetah vs a lion, yes they aren't predators of each other but looking at it speed wise the cheetah does go fast and quickly hunts its prey, but a lion stalks it's prey slowly and then catches it).

you make valid points, you can cut down on space such as saying the metaphor with regards to the word " sands" conveys a deeper meaning that no matter how powerful you are, all things will come to an end and be lost to these "sands." rather than saying this quote shows, start with the similie/metaphor in x word/ tell us and then say what you want.

also with the lone and level alliteration. i would also talk about how gentle it sounds compared to other phrases which you can develop/ make a judgement on what this could do. remember poems are mean to be said aloud.

this juxtaposes the power and ego of the pharaoh and how none of it remains.
agreed, one things I would talk about, is the fact that the statue still stands or remnants of it. with shelley's intention being that he wants to show that art is permanent and can last forever as seen with the insciprtions on the statue.

also talk about the effect it has on you, do you feel a bit saddned that everything, to your body, to the place you live will go back to nature. do you feel a bit sad? or distraught. or a bit at piece since the inequality of the world you see now and in the past, its legacy too will come to an end. you also should talk about writers intention, which is typically what he wants the reader to feel. remember to talk about the contemporary audience as there views could be different to yours but you don't have to.

while my points may be bit rudimentary as it has been a long time since I've learnt/ formulated ideas of this poem, so please do excuse me.
Original post by s.248
thank youuu

good second bit (prelude), remember to talk about the writers intention and how it makes you feel/ the effects on you.

also link stuff back to your original point, like a summary, while both poets explore the power of nature in different ways, Shelley does it this way, whereas Wordsworth does it another way.
Reply 4
Original post by jacksmith23
good second bit (prelude), remember to talk about the writers intention and how it makes you feel/ the effects on you.
also link stuff back to your original point, like a summary, while both poets explore the power of nature in different ways, Shelley does it this way, whereas Wordsworth does it another way.

thank you this was very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending