The Student Room Group

english literature at uni

Hi
I am considering English lit as a degree option but I have a few questions and would love if any English students could give some advice :smile:
- How are modules assessed- are there closed book exams, essays etc. - I am not strong with memorising quotes so do you have to memorise a lot of quotes/ critics?
- What are seminars and lectures like?
- Do you get given resources or do you have to research all by yourself?
- was there anything unexpected/ anything you were unprepared for?

Thank you in advance :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
I'm planning to do english lit at uni too, not sure about the rest of your questions either but with modules it depends on each university e.g warwick assess entirely through coursework, whilst other universities do exams and a mix of coursework but also stuff like presentations and groups work are mentioned . It should say on each website of the uni how it's assessed, it's different for every university!
Original post by cariiii07
I'm planning to do english lit at uni too, not sure about the rest of your questions either but with modules it depends on each university e.g warwick assess entirely through coursework, whilst other universities do exams and a mix of coursework but also stuff like presentations and groups work are mentioned . It should say on each website of the uni how it's assessed, it's different for every university!

Thanks! Do you have an idea of which unis your applying to?
Reply 3
Original post by Pandasarecute65
Thanks! Do you have an idea of which unis your applying to?

I applied on monday! Cambridge, warwick, manchester, liverpool and reading

How about you?
Original post by cariiii07
I applied on monday! Cambridge, warwick, manchester, liverpool and reading

How about you?

ah Good luck!! Im thinking Cambridge, Leeds and Sheffield so far but Im still deciding :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Pandasarecute65
ah Good luck!! Im thinking Cambridge, Leeds and Sheffield so far but Im still deciding :smile:

good luck! I hope it goes well for you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending