The Student Room Group

"How can a university have no vowels?" or, madders94 goes to Glyndwr!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

Yes indeedy, eight days to go. It's a scary thought but I'm now counting down last "things" before I go - like how many times will I see my fiancé before I go, how many times will I play in the garden with my dog etc. I'm so excited about going but at the same time I'm nervous. I've ordered a cheapy little phone to take out on nights out (£4.95 for the phone, £10 top up plus 100 free minutes, 300 free texts and 50 whatevers of internet, from Carphone Warehouse if you're interested), hopefully my provisional will arrive before long too.

Packing is getting serious. I'm trying to do things a bit at a time because when I try to rush packing, things get broken and I don't want that. No clothes yet - that's a last-minute thing - but I'm starting to get stuff from my bedroom packed, even though I'm kind of running out of boxes to put stuff in. A trip to Aldi may be needed (tip - if you need boxes and don't have any, don't pay for those big cardboard ones you can get in Argos; go to your local Aldi, they tend to have a huge box full of cardboard boxes that you can just take, and if you pick the right ones, they're fantastic to store things in and for transporting stuff to uni! :smile: ).

Been talking to a friend who is going to Liverpool; she moves in at the weekend so anyone else moving in to any uni this week or weekend, good luck and enjoy! :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
I always thought Wrexham was in England. I even googled it just now to check before I corrected you.

I thought someone told me it was right on the border but classed as England, this is embarrassing. Every day I learn something which makes it even easier to see why I always sucked at geography.:frown:

Hope you have a good Freshers in Wrexham in Wales!

I myself am off to Wales, the South though - Swansea.:smile:
Reply 22
Original post by deadsmurfette
I always thought Wrexham was in England. I even googled it just now to check before I corrected you.

I thought someone told me it was right on the border but classed as England, this is embarrassing. Every day I learn something which makes it even easier to see why I always sucked at geography.:frown:

Hope you have a good Freshers in Wrexham in Wales!

I myself am off to Wales, the South though - Swansea.:smile:

Haha I'm terrible at geography! I think unless you've lived in Wales for a while, it's really easy to think Wrexham is in England (apparently it's quite strongly English-speaking, which will be weird coming from somewhere where people speak Welsh a lot).

Ooh enjoy Swansea! :smile: Have a good freshers.
Reply 23

6 days to go!

So we're down to less than a week until I move to Wrexham. How am I feeling? There's nerves and excitement there, but more impatience than anything else. I'm not impatient to get to uni - I'm impatient with myself because I keep procrastinating! I'm busy for most of the weekend and the next few days (I think tomorrow's my only other free day!) so I really need to get it pretty much sorted now, with the exception of clothes which will be a sort of last minute job on Sunday morning before I head out.

There's also a little bit of emotion involved. I'm packing some of the things that have been given to me as presents by my fiancé - they're all going with me but I'm trying to do it bit by bit so I still have some left in my bedroom for me to see before I leave. I'm also trying to decide whether to take my Christmas tree with me, or to get a new one at the start of December when I'm there, to go in my bedroom. Lots of decisions to be made and lots of tidying to do, because my bedroom is a dump! So much stuff has ended up piled in the middle of the floor while I'm trying to get things wrapped in newspaper and boxes, it's awful - and it means I can't see anything. So the mission for today and tomorrow is to tidy up and get the bulk of stuff packed.

I've got to go to hospital on Thursday in Wrexham, so I'm wondering if they might let me go and see my room (they did for someone else) so I know how much space I have and what I need to bring that I might have forgotten. If not it'll still be weird to see the university and know I'm moving up there four days from then :eek:
Reply 24

5 Days To Go!

Today I hit something of a wall, where I started questioning exactly what I'm doing. I think it was a bit of a confidence crisis more than anything else - convincing myself that I won't be able to handle the workload or the hours or the movement classes, but the result is that I've done no packing today. I'm hoping everything but clothes is now packed, because I don't have much time left - Saturday's my only free day now to get that all sorted.

I packed all my books last night - I hadn't planned on taking many, what with having my Kindle, but there were a lot that I really did want to take, including all my Chicken Soup for the Soul books, so I have a box full of books. My mom bought me a few things food-wise too - a box of decaf tea, a jar of hot chocolate, some mug noodles and things like that - for which I am very grateful!

The nerves are starting to build; I have no idea what to expect on the first day so if anyone has any advice or experience, I'd be very grateful!
Reply 25
I start there in 12 days studying Creative Media Computing :biggrin:. I think you're the first other person I've come across on here who is starting there this year :O.
Reply 26

2 days to go!

Yep, so I move the day after tomorrow! I'm so nervous but so excited - my CitizenCard has arrived, which should tide me over until I get my provisional - apparently most of the clubs have said they accept it, whether they will is another thing, but at least shops accent it so I can buy alcohol from there :tongue: I'm actually quite happy with my picture on it - I don't look terrible, at least.

The rest of today will be spent packing and making sure I've got everything, and then tomorrow is trying to load stuff into the car and then going for a meal in the evening with my family and OH. I'm looking forwards to that, but it's also going to be very sad - thankfully I'm seeing my OH on the Wednesday because he's coming up and we're spending the day together, but I won't see my family after Monday morning for what seems like ages, although I think they're planning on calling in in the last weekend of September. I'm glad I'll be going home fairly often - not every week but hopefully once a month. It means I can visit my old theatre group (went to my last session of it this morning :cry2: ) and it'll be nice, but also I'll be more independent by not visiting home every weekend.

I've booked my arrival slot and I'm trying to decide whether to get the fresher's wristband. It's £40+ worth of events, for £25, which sounds like a really good deal but I'm not sure how many events I'll want to go to - although I'll probably give pretty much all of them a try. There's a trip to Chester Zoo on Thursday, which does sound really fun, but at the same time I'm not sure if I want to go or not - I think I'll see what other people are doing and make my mind up then.

This is so much more nerve-wracking than starting college was, although I'm fairly confident I'll enjoy this course a lot more than I enjoyed college!
Good luck! Having the same dilemma over the fresher's pass although ours is £50!:eek: So will probably just stick to buying individual tickets to the ones I want to go to.

Glad you found a course you want to do.:smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Beebumble
Good luck! Having the same dilemma over the fresher's pass although ours is £50!:eek: So will probably just stick to buying individual tickets to the ones I want to go to.

Glad you found a course you want to do.:smile:

Good luck to you too, hope you enjoy!! :smile:
W is a welsh vowel :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by EffieFlowers
W is a welsh vowel :wink:

As is "y" :tongue:
Good luck Maddy! I'm sure you're going to fit right in, you made everyone feel so at home and at ease over on the Result's Day thread :smile:

Hope all goes well for you, and enjoy! :biggrin:
Reply 32
Leaving in half an hour. Very nervous. Not really sure what else to say! Car is going to be jam packed and I'm certain I have too much stuff. Scared about leaving home, glad to be leaving my village. Just seen my brother off to school and not going to lie, I'm gutted - I'm going to be a mess once that car's off the drive.

Original post by Niki_girl
Good luck Maddy! I'm sure you're going to fit right in, you made everyone feel so at home and at ease over on the Result's Day thread :smile:

Hope all goes well for you, and enjoy! :biggrin:

Awh :h: thankyou! :hugs: hope you enjoy uni too! :biggrin:
Good luck for today!
Reply 34
Good luck! :h:
Reply 35
Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 36
I love university :love: had an amazing day yesterday, all my flatmates are amazing, had a great night in the clubs, the room is great and everything is just awesome :awesome:
Original post by madders94
I love university :love: had an amazing day yesterday, all my flatmates are amazing, had a great night in the clubs, the room is great and everything is just awesome :awesome:

Yay!:thumbsup:
Reply 38
Trying to find time to blog is awkward. Ok, so yesterday I went on a treasure hunt around the uni and met some new people, which was cool. Then my OH came up and we went out for a meal and went bowling and had a couple of drinks, which was nice, and then today we've finally finished shopping and I used the hob for the first time (I've been forgetting to eat :s-smilie: ). I love my accommodation but it's still a state, I'll get it tidied up either after going out tonight or tomorrow morning and get some pics up :smile: it's student night tonight, £1 entry and £1 drinks but it's such a trek from the uni so I'm wearing flats (they don't accept trainers or I'd be in my comfy running shoes!). Found the swimming pool today, going to start going at least once a week starting Friday morning. Off home for a party Friday evening and then back Saturday afternoon, but going to Chester Zoo tomorrow :biggrin:
Glad you are enjoying uni, I have a couple of friends who seem to be having a rough time which makes me a bit nervous - I am a bit socially awkward at times so I'm kind of dreading moving into a flat full of people I don't know!!

My mum and brother will see me for the last time before I leave tonight! My dad is taking me up on Friday and they will be at work/school by the time I wake up. It is my cats I am really going to miss though - if they aren't in on Friday morning so I can say goodbye and give them a good squeeze I might cry, (I might anyway, I love one of my cats like he's my child LOL).

Have a good time tonight (Or this morning... I am up ridiculously late so you may already be back,in which case I hope you had a good night.)!

Just realised I have gone in about myself an awful lot here haha... sorry for hijacking your blog :tongue: I would start my own but I'm not very good with words.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending