The Student Room Group

Those who are currently in uni/have finished uni, did you actually learn anything?

Scroll to see replies

You learn a skill-set which you can then apply to different situations, primarily in a work environment. How often am I going to have to recall the dates of The English Civil War, The Battle of Bosworth Field or the operation name of the D-Day Landings? Down at the occasional pub quiz I'll do with work colleges when I'm well into my 40s.
Reply 21
Depends on what course you do. In general, if you do humanities, you will learn about people and their interactions and what makes their emotions tick. If you do a science, you will learn about nature and its interactions and what makes it tick.
Personally, having graduated this July, I learnt loads but it's not enough, especially for my chosen career, so I've decided to do a masters.

University is not just about academic learning; I never believed this until now. I was always a bit snobby and thought grades were everything but I've changed my mind now. You gain more than just a degree at university.

But yeah, depending on your course and university and chosen career path, uni and the student lifestyle doesn't well equip you for employment. That's the employer's job - to train you. Except many employers now are expecting a ready-made perfect employee because they don't want to spend money to train you up. Need experience for job; need job for experience.
Reply 23
Original post by Inkerman
The interesting question is not 'how much did you learn?', the question you should be asking is 'how much of what you learned do you actually use in your job?'

I'm doing a PhD in my subject, and I use much less than 5%.

Maybe I should quit my degree and go straight on a PhD.
Reply 24
Original post by avéry
I learnt that my course wasn't what I wanted to do and that my career aspirations are much different than I imagined. That said, I still have to go through the last year because it's too late to do anything about it now. I don't feel like I've learnt much at university, more like I've learnt a lot in my own time because I wasn't getting it at university.

I feel the same. :frown:
I learnt last year that I'm not suited to a career in microbiology, as nothing ever grows on my agar plates. Luckily, I didn't want one anyway =P.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending