The Student Room Group

Will i struggle with Maths at University

Hey, i'm applying to do maths and economics at Bristol (A* A A) and Newcastle (A A B)
Even though i really doubt i'll get into bristol (GCSE's: AAAAAABBBC, AS: AABB, A2 Pred: A* AA) I'm worried that i will not be able to handle the maths at either course?

I got 94% in AS Maths, but only by working seriously hard (Got an A at GCSE).
I'm going to put in loads of effort but will i just find the maths too hard (as in, it dosen't matter how hard i work?) Another big worry is i haven't done FM so i will have to self teach some concepts?

Also maybe surrey
Bump
Reply 3
You may struggle at the start of the course if you haven't done further maths, but once you learn the concepts you need it shouldn't be too hard as long as your prepared to work.
so ill need to self study FM in the summer ?
bump
It will help you to learn further maths, and you might find (at least at Bristol) that most students have done at least AS further maths. Don't freak out about self teaching it over this year or in summer though, a lot of concepts link with A-level maths so it won't be too hard. I've heard that a lot of first year uni courses cover a lot of what is learnt in further maths, so it will give you an advantage, but then you'll be on the same level as everyone else in your 2nd and 3rd years. If you're worried about not being able to cope, maybe you could apply to less rigorous universities? I would have a look at further maths first though, and maybe do a bit of extra reading and see how you get on.
Reply 7
Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION
bump

you dnt have to worry much usually the 1st year of any course in university is getting everyone to the same page. Not everyone will have done further maths and also the modules differ depending on your college...
Reply 8
Hey, i'm applying to do maths and economics at Bristol (A* A A) and Newcastle (A A B)
Even though i really doubt i'll get into bristol (GCSE's: AAAAAABBBC, AS: AABB, A2 Pred: A* AA) I'm worried that i will not be able to handle the maths at either course?

I'm going to put in loads of effort but will i just find the maths too hard (as in, it dosen't matter how hard i work?) Another big worry is i haven't done FM so i will have to self teach some concepts?

They are actually good results that you should be bragging about
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mr j man
Your just bragging...

Really? My grades are the absolute bottom of the pile of people applying to those universities, but i suppose its sort of flattering you think that!
Original post by roflcakes1
It will help you to learn further maths, and you might find (at least at Bristol) that most students have done at least AS further maths. Don't freak out about self teaching it over this year or in summer though, a lot of concepts link with A-level maths so it won't be too hard. I've heard that a lot of first year uni courses cover a lot of what is learnt in further maths, so it will give you an advantage, but then you'll be on the same level as everyone else in your 2nd and 3rd years. If you're worried about not being able to cope, maybe you could apply to less rigorous universities? I would have a look at further maths first though, and maybe do a bit of extra reading and see how you get on.

Oh ok, thanks, i have already started doing that :smile: is it worth mentioning it in my PS or reference? Im guessing the fact that most people have done FM at bristol means im probably at a big disadvantage already, so maybe i wont apply there :confused:
Reply 11
Really? My grades are the absolute bottom of the pile of people applying to those universities, but i suppose its sort of flattering you think that!

Well yeah it is kind of a compliment but how is it if you get A*AA you are at bottom of pile? I don't think its easy to achieve that and surely not that many people do. I don't know though.
Original post by mr j man
Well yeah it is kind of a compliment but how is it if you get A*AA you are at bottom of pile? I don't think its easy to achieve that and surely not that many people do. I don't know though.

well i am for bristol especially, without FM and no A*'s at GCSE etc, i'm honestly not showing off just don't want to get into a three year course which i can't handle :smile:
if you dont want to do maths you could always do something like physics or actuarial science etc
Reply 14
well i am for bristol especially, without FM and no A*'s at GCSE etc, i'm honestly not showing off just don't want to get into a three year course which i can't handle :smile:

I think you should be able to do it as not everyone does further maths and you have a decent grade in maths so if they let you in you should be able to do it if you got this far.
People who've done other qualifications won't have done the same topics so they generally try and get everyone on the same page in first year.

Even though I'm at a Scottish uni most people I know did A-levels with Maths and FM, whereas up here you just do plain Advanced Higher Maths. I have successfully reached honours and can tell you that it wasn't a big deal in the slightest (except that in our "getting everyone on the same page" module I had to work and my mates slacked for the whole term :P). To put it in perspective my friend didn't even take GCSE physics so he had a pretty steep learning curve when we had a compulsory applied maths module, that we HAD to pass, which turned out to be ALL physics. He has also made it to honours :biggrin:

If you get accepted and your still worried I would phone/e-mail them and ask what kind of topics you should look at.
Reply 16
If you found A-level Maths a breeze you won't struggle. 94% at AS doesn't seem like you struggled. Can't you do AS Further Maths to give yourself an advantage?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by pop101
If you found A-level Maths a breeze you won't struggle. 94% at AS doesn't seem like you struggled. Can't you do AS Further Maths to give yourself an advantage?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

well the thing is, i didn't struggle, but i had to work at pretty much 100% and i got a bit of luck to get that grade, i'm going to have to work even harder this year to get the A*! They can't timetable it :/
Reply 18
well the thing is, i didn't struggle, but i had to work at pretty much 100% and i got a bit of luck to get that grade, i'm going to have to work even harder this year to get the A*! They can't timetable it :/

I don't believe pure 100% work can get someone the A*/A. There definitely needs to be some ability/passion for the subject to get those grades. When I say 'breeze' I was implying that the topics should be easy to understand. Then, the time consuming/hard work part is to iron out any flaws by practising any question you can find.
Reply 19

Everyone struggles at university (Maths isn't easy). As long as you put the work in (just like you did for AS Maths), you should give Bristol/Newcastle a shot.

You should feel proud of your achievement - that is down to your hard work and ability - don't put yourself down and keep it up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest