The Student Room Group

Warwick MORSE or Imperial Maths with Management?

i posted a similar thread in the Maths forum, thought i'd ask here too.
i'm leaning towards warwick, but i keep thinking that i'd be crazy to turn imperial down!

which is more highly regarded in the city?
i still haven't chosen a precise career path though, i was thinking of either being an actuary or an accountant or going into investment banking.

i also do not mind going to a city or campus university.

can anyone tell me what they think?
thanks very much

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would go with Imperial. Not only is it excellent for Mathematics, but it's reputation also exceeds that of Warwick, it's located in the city (which means you have rapid access to employers, firms, etc), and you will be able to do a joint honours degree in management there. Most firms would love you instantly. :smile:
Reply 2
Knogle, when you replied to this thread in the Maths forum you said to go for Warwick's MORSE. so which one is it?? :tongue:
Reply 3
Shickles
Knogle, when you replied to this thread in the Maths forum you said to go for Warwick's MORSE. so which one is it?? :tongue:

I have seen the light in recent days. :p:

I never spoked badly of the Imperial programme; at that point of time, I simply recommended Warwick based on what seemed to be your preference.

Now that I know you're interested in investment banking, Imperial will give you that extra boost as far as reputation is concerned. And living in the city obviously helps.

Both programmes are stellar.. but I believe Imperial's will be better for your needs. Albeit only by a slightly different shade.
Reply 4
ok thanks :smile:
Go with Imperial, a huge chunk if not the majority of maths grads from Imperial end up in the City.
isn't Imperials undergrad management school not based in the city @ Tanaka, but somewhere else?
Reply 7
it is at Tanaka Business School.
I think you're probably talking about Applied Business Management or something like that, which is based in Wye.
Imperial.
Reply 9
Imperial.
Shickles
it is at Tanaka Business School.
I think you're probably talking about Applied Business Management or something like that, which is based in Wye.

Yea that is what I was thinking of. It just led me to assume that all of the undergrad Management courses would be based there. My bad. Yup I agree with everyone then, Imperial all the way
Reply 11
Personally I'd say Warwick. The MORSE course is *amazing*, it's very well taught, very well run and co-ordinated between different departments (very unusually for a maths/econ course) and extremely well regarded by employers and academics. I'd even say it's Warwick's flagship course. Whereas while Imperial is utterly amazing, it's best regarded for it's applied science, not it's maths or undergrad business.

To be honest, I think they're two good options, and neither will shut you out of any career path whatsoever. Imperial has the edge on reputation, but IMHO MORSE is a better taught and set up degree. The question has to come down to: Do you want to do economics or management? Would you rather live on campus in Warwick or in London at ICL? And the last one, can you afford ICL? (South Kensington isn't cheap, I know I'd have trouble affording uni in London). But smile that you get to choose between two amazing options.
Reply 12
... Would you rather live on campus in Warwick or in London at ICL? And the last one, can you afford ICL? (South Kensington isn't cheap, I know I'd have trouble affording uni in London). But smile that you get to choose between two amazing options. ...

Excellent questions you have put forward. :smile: And yes Shickles, smile! :biggrin:
To be honest, I think they're two good options, and neither will shut you out of any career path whatsoever. Imperial has the edge on reputation, but IMHO MORSE is a better taught and set up degree. The question has to come down to: Do you want to do economics or management? Would you rather live on campus in Warwick or in London at ICL? And the last one, can you afford ICL? (South Kensington isn't cheap, I know I'd have trouble affording uni in London).

lol alright, the maths department at Imperial isn't exactly aesthetical, I hate ever to walk into that place, and my room mate does it and he's working alll the time (dunno if its him or the course).

Imperial is expensive if you try to live it up, but if you're careful its not that much more expensive than other unis. You won't be able to go out as often on a low budget and you'll be cursing your neighbour when his Lamborghini wakes you up at 4am, but the reputation of the uni with the banks will put you in a good position. The question is, do you want to live on a farm or the best city in the world?
Reply 14
yeah thing is i don't mind living in london or coventry - from what i've gathered on this thread, the question i should be asking is: should i go for course or reputation?

how on earth do i choose between the two??
Reply 15
Flip a coin.
MORSE - my friend does it, it seems like the best quantitative course at warwick. Plus you get exemptions from actuarial examinations.
Reply 17
With MORSE you only get exemptions from actuarial exams if you take the actuarial stream. Didn't appeal to me. I don't even think the rep is that much different, since MORSE has such a great rep, and Warwick maths is known to be up with Oxbridge's. IMHO, the rep advantage ICL has is small, though existant, and the course difference is huge. But remember the courses are *different*, not that MORSE is better. Some people would prefer maths and management. Think about which degree is better for you.
Reply 18
Thanks Drogue. It's just that 95% of the people I've talked to seem to dismiss Warwick instantly over Imperial. Personally, I do prefer the course at Warwick than Maths with management at Imperial, because I get to learn economics amongst other stuff. However, ever since I was young I've wanted to go to Imperial, so I guess I'm still kind of holding on to that dream!

Drogue: how come you know so much about MORSE anyway, just out of curiosity?
Reply 19
I researched unis very well before I applied. MORSE was my second choice (after Oxford). I always wanted to do applied maths, but applied to economics rather than physics, so MORSE instantly appealled. I went to the open day then interview and chatted to them a lot about it. Was very impressed. A hardcore degree, but well worth it, as it's one of the very few courses that's set up for practical research and being applicable in the real world (you can take a mathematical finance stream, IIRC, as well as hardcore mathematical economics).

Plus I didn't want to live in London, so Warwick was instantly my second choice after Oxbridge.

Latest

Trending

Trending