The Student Room Group

'Furious' Kate and William may sue French magazine over publication of topless photos

Scroll to see replies

This happens to celebrities all the time. Because its royalty, people get aggressive
Shame that money will be exchanged over this. This fuels a reciprocal taboo. If nobody cared, nobody would shoot poor Kate's boobies.

Can understand Wills and co being furious but best to refrain from reacting publicly. They're people but the media have inferred that they're the most important people in the world. The public reaction, or at least the media interpretation thereof, has brought about if nothing else a sense of ostensible omnipotence from the royals, ie "we're reacting like this because it's us, we have a right to feel like this because we're the royals." In privacy terms it's no different from if any other celebrity had her boobs shot without her permission; indeed, there's no point praising the tabloids for some decency. Next summer, I'm pretty sure there will be Sun journalists in Southern Europe tracking Abbey Clancy's every movement. In fact, we should be annoyed at the tabloids for perpetuating the hierarchical representation of the royals as "above us".

We accept the potential disadvantages of celebrity status whilst decrying those who cause them. Tabloids on the other hand should go to hell if they think some people are more important than others.

In short, I hate the media machine.
Reply 82
Original post by rockrunride
Shame that money will be exchanged over this. This fuels a reciprocal taboo. If nobody cared, nobody would shoot poor Kate's boobies.

Can understand Wills and co being furious but best to refrain from reacting publicly. They're people but the media have inferred that they're the most important people in the world. The public reaction, or at least the media interpretation thereof, has brought about if nothing else a sense of ostensible omnipotence from the royals, ie "we're reacting like this because it's us, we have a right to feel like this because we're the royals." In privacy terms it's no different from if any other celebrity had her boobs shot without her permission; indeed, there's no point praising the tabloids for some decency. Next summer, I'm pretty sure there will be Sun journalists in Southern Europe tracking Abbey Clancy's every movement. In fact, we should be annoyed at the tabloids for perpetuating the hierarchical representation of the royals as "above us".

We accept the potential disadvantages of celebrity status whilst decrying those who cause them. Tabloids on the other hand should go to hell if they think some people are more important than others.

In short, I hate the media machine.

You seem to be making the incorrect assumption that other celebrities don't sue tabloids and other gossip media for invasion of privacy. They do, and have won as well. It's simply that these cases are not as well publicised as this one
Reply 83
Original post by dgeorge
Whether or not it was "open air" they have the right to privacy. You cannot simply hover over someone's personal property and claim that they should "expect" no privacy.

Either way, it would seem what was done was pretty blatantly illegal. It's simply a case that the profit that will be made selling the extra magazines will likely outweigh whatever judgement is brought against them

I'm sure news helicopters take photos of lots of people's private roofs.
Yeah? And who's going to pay to bring the action? I don't pay 60p duty on each litre of petrol so that Kate Middleton can afford to sue some foreign newspaper
Original post by dgeorge
You seem to be making the incorrect assumption that other celebrities don't sue tabloids and other gossip media for invasion of privacy. They do, and have won as well. It's simply that these cases are not as well publicised as this one

I'm not. I just find it highly ironic that the Sun are reporting on Kate and Wills suing some company for invasion of privacy and attempt to take a moral high ground.
Reply 86
I'm rather tempted right now to make a joke about how the French know how to deal with royalty the right way, buuuut I don't want the redcoats to kick down my door so I won't. It's wrong to invade a person's privacy like that, but its also their fault for doing everything they could it seems to act like just another family of celebrities in the way they have conducted themselves.
Reply 87
Original post by Hopple
I'm sure news helicopters take photos of lots of people's private roofs.

This was a paparazzi mission for the singular intent of getting a photo of someone for financial gain in a PRIVATE area. Not a newscopter
Reply 88
Original post by dgeorge
This was a paparazzi mission for the singular intent of getting a photo of someone for financial gain in a PRIVATE area. Not a newscopter

Unless the photographer was on private property (and the blurriness of the photos indicates it was taken from a huge distance) then there's nothing wrong. Sure, the photographer is an arse hole, but you wouldn't criminalise it.
Reply 89
THEY ARE ONLY BOOBS why shouldn't Kate be able to go on holiday relax and sunbathe like any other person? Yes she made the choice to marry a royal but she has taken on all the responsibilities of that and fitted into the role seamlessly she does loads for charity and is a genuinely nice person so why do people feel the need to try and find something to hold against her? Perverted paparazzi trying to ruin her holiday and her reputation. Low lives like that should be banned from owning cameras.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Every article I've read on this has said the same thing; "It was different for Harry, it's much worse for Kate". Why? Maybe Harry has the reputation, but I really doubt he wanted his private parts published. No one would.

Do feel very, very sorry for her, and I hope the lawsuit goes well for her, but I feel papers are being a tad hypocritical (particually ones that post pictures of celebs without their consent on a regular basis).
Reply 91
Original post by Emma.x
THEY ARE ONLY BOOBS why shouldn't Kate be able to go on holiday relax and sunbathe like any other person? Yes she made the choice to marry a royal but she has taken on all the responsibilities of that and fitted into the role seamlessly she does loads for charity and is a genuinely nice person so why do people feel the need to try and find something to hold against her? Perverted paparazzi trying to ruin her holiday and her reputation. Low lives like that should be banned from owning cameras.

I don't get what you're trying to say here. If they are 'only boobs' then she shouldn't worry that people have taken photos of her topless. If they are 'only boobs' then the photos won't damage her reputation except with prudes. Nobody's holding anything against her with regards to this, least of all the paparrazzi :s-smilie:
Reply 92
LOOOOL this is funny found it on ja606

The UK public were outraged when topless pictures of the Duchess of Cambridge appeared in print in a French magazine.
The pictures have been widely condemned and many people are struggling to come to terms after seeing the much admired Catherine caught topless.

“They aren’t even nice" said a distraught man from Newcastle. “I’d pictured them nice and firm you know but they look like a soggy pie lid like with a burnt bit in the middle. I’ll not eat me tea tonight if it’s pie."

“You have to feel so sorry for the royal couple now" said a woman in London. “We now all know that he goes to bed with those every night. It does make you wonder if they’ll ever have children now."

A man concurred “He could take her from bhind I guess as you’ll not want those flacid baps anywhere near your face." He shook his head in rage “I know that we’re in a recession but can we not get them done? Give him some double D’s to play with! Damn. This is the future Queen we are talking about!"

The Palace has refused to comment but an insider has admitted that the Queen was very much shocked that her own brests were in better a condition.

“There are concerns that they’ll be touching the floor before long and she’s worried the corgis might have a nibble" said the anonymous insider.
Original post by kunoichi
Because celebrities dont always make an effort to look respectable, they have to stay famous to make their living so will do many things for attention. Look at lindsay lohan and Britney for example getting drunk and who knows what. many celebrities just seem to rely on their scandal getting in the paper and female celebrities dont always dress smartly or modestly.

Whereas the royals try to make an effort to look respectable and represent our country. They dont generally go out making scandals of themselves. They dress and act with modesty and self respect. They constantly act with a dignity that celebrities dont.

Not that its acceptable for anyones privacy to be invaded but this is why this is considered worse i think.

It doesn't apply to every celebrity though. Some really pleasant decent celebrities who arn't scandal magnets have the same thing done to them and their privacy is invaded. Are we saying that Celebrities since their famous deserve to have their privacy breached whenever but then there's another standard for the Royals. What your saying is every celebrity is a rotten egg but every royal is an angel im sorry but that's complete rubbish.
Reply 94
Original post by johnharris19944
It doesn't apply to every celebrity though. Some really pleasant decent celebrities who arn't scandal magnets have the same thing done to them and their privacy is invaded. Are we saying that Celebrities since their famous deserve to have their privacy breached whenever but then there's another standard for the Royals. What your saying is every celebrity is a rotten egg but every royal is an angel im sorry but that's complete rubbish.

I didnt say they deserved to have their privacy breached at all. I dont think they should actually which you would know if you had read all of my post.

I was explaining the probable reason why the british public feels this is worse than celebrities.

Read my ****ing post before you start accusing me of things yeah?
They'll probably get something so the magazine avoids the courts, but legally there may not be a case: as long as the photos were either taken from public ground or with the permission of the owner, it's not illegal to take a photo of someone unless they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Undressing in her bedroom for a shower would incur a reasonable expectation of privacy; it's arguable that being outside there is none...
I didnt say they deserved to have their privacy breached at all. I dont think they should actually which you would know if you had read all of my post.

I was explaining the probable reason why the british public feels this is worse than celebrities.

Read my ****ing post before you start accusing me of things yeah?

No, you basically generalized all celebrities as some sort of scum that every single one of them was like Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears. Both had their privacy breached but just because their royals doesn't mean they get to be treated better.
Reply 97
Original post by johnharris19944
No, you basically generalized all celebrities as some sort of scum that every single one of them was like Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears. Both had their privacy breached but just because their royals doesn't mean they get to be treated better.

Dont tell me what i meant, b/c you obviously have no ****ing clue.

I gave an example of what the british public think and why they think it. I gave examples of celebrities that were searching for that sort of attention and no where did i mention that every single celebrity was like that.

So sorry i didnt put every in and out of this in my original post, didnt explain every little thing. i didnt realise there were such dumbassess on here that wouldnt understand that that was
A. a generalisation that didnt rule out the existence of better behaved celebrities but named the worst since yknow i have better things to do that list every ****ing celebrity under the sun.
B. The general opinion of the public.

I did not say anywhere that celebrities deserve no privacy. Quite the opposite.

So stop attacking me for explaining what most people think to answer the OP's question and piss off someplace else.
Dont tell me what i meant, b/c you obviously have no ****ing clue.

I gave an example of what the british public think and why they think it. I gave examples of celebrities that were searching for that sort of attention and no where did i mention that every single celebrity was like that.

So sorry i didnt put every in and out of this in my original post, didnt explain every little thing. i didnt realise there were such dumbassess on here that wouldnt understand that that was
A. a generalisation that didnt rule out the existence of better behaved celebrities but named the worst since yknow i have better things to do that list every ****ing celebrity under the sun.
B. The general opinion of the public.

I did not say anywhere that celebrities deserve no privacy. Quite the opposite.

So stop attacking me for explaining what most people think to answer the OP's question and piss off someplace else.

tumblr_m6cp5o1Rxm1r9zdk4.gif

tumblr_lmjptgLeR21qcragg.gif

tumblr_m9a6j0efTA1rya3nuo2_250.gif
For someone adored for being classy and proper this is a bit... weird.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending