The Student Room Group

calling all grade 9 french students - speaking exam

Hi i'm in year 10 and my teacher just dropped a bombshell on our class today that we have our gcse french speaking exam mock on thursday and he's only just told us today meaning i have very little time to prepare (only 3 days) I'm not too bad at french but i'm really worried since this mock has come out of nowhere, i hate that my teacher has only told us now and the fact that my teacher could ask me literally any question is stressing me out (the whole having to prepare for everything). We haven't even gone through the roleplay and the photo card section of the speaking exam thoroughly in class yet he expects us to follow through with the speaking exam on thursday. What's the most effective way i can revise with the little time i have and how can i get high marks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ctrlm.
Hi i'm in year 10 and my teacher just dropped a bombshell on our class today that we have our gcse french speaking exam mock on thursday and he's only just told us today meaning i have very little time to prepare (only 3 days) I'm not too bad at french but i'm really worried since this mock has come out of nowhere, i hate that my teacher has only told us now and the fact that my teacher could ask me literally any question is stressing me out (the whole having to prepare for everything). We haven't even gone through the roleplay and the photo card section of the speaking exam thoroughly in class yet he expects us to follow through with the speaking exam on thursday. What's the most effective way i can revise with the little time i have and how can i get high marks?

heres my tips for edexel speaking

roleplay - short answers the aim here is to communicate info dont try to complicate it

photocard use palme structure :talk about people actions location mood and extra info ie weather or what they are wearing
i also reccomend to know the adv and disadv of topics like uniform or travelling abroud since in higher they ask you that

speach is just memorisation and read in a slow pace

questions on topics shouls sound natural and should be extended : use a poj noj structure positive opinion justification and negative opinion justification

also make sure you say your tenses right for example when you say je suis allee make sure you exemplify the ey sound

good luck !!!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ctrlm.

i should mention that i do aqa!!
Reply 3
Original post by Usbdss

roleplay - short answers the aim here is to communicate info dont try to complicate it

photocard use palme structure :talk about people actions location mood and extra info ie weather or what they are wearing
i also reccomend to know the adv and disadv of topics like uniform or travelling abroud since in higher they ask you that

questions on topics shouls sound natural and should be extended : use a poj noj structure positive opinion justification and negative opinion justification

also make sure you say your tenses right for example when you say je suis allee make sure you exemplify the ey sound

good luck !!!

this is so helpful thank you so so much!!
Reply 4
Original post by ctrlm.
i should mention that i do aqa!!

would you like me to pm you my french speaking flashcards which have all the speaking questions for each topic? i did aqa too and they're all grade 9 level (according to my teacher at least). they cover the conversation questions but im not sure if youre doing that or not

for the roleplay, keep it short and snappy. literally only just say enough so that it covers the information you need to include as outlined on the card. you only get marks for communication, not for expanding - i can give you further advice if needed and if you need someone to practice with, i'm more than happy to help.

for the photocard, its the other way around - expand and use complex sentence structures. of course stay within your limit because you don't want to attempt a really cool sentence structure only to flunk it completely but really try to add on extra information like opinions, weather, different tenses to show off your skills. i'd aim to use three tenses in the additional questions they ask alongside the photocard. remember that you have a timing limit as well. with the roleplay and photocard, it's all about practice, again i can help out if you would like - i think i may have some speaking resources my teacher gave me which i could dig out and send?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TazmeenX
would you like me to pm you my french speaking flashcards which have all the speaking questions for each topic? i did aqa too and they're all grade 9 level (according to my teacher at least)

for the roleplay, keep it short and snappy. literally only just say enough so that it covers the information you need to include as outlined on the card. you only get marks for communication, not for expanding - i can give you further advice if needed and if you need someone to practice with, i'm more than happy to help.

for the photocard, its the other way around - expand and use complex sentence structures. of course stay within your limit because you don't want to attempt a really cool sentence structure only to flunk it completely but really try to add on extra information to show off your skills. remember that you have a timing limit as well. with the roleplay and photocard, it's all about practice, again i can help out if you would like - i think i may have some speaking resources my teacher gave me which i could dig out and send?

omg if you could do that i'd appreciate it so much?? that's so immensely kind of you
i think i'm going to focus on the general conversation part of the speaking today and tomorrow work on the roleplay and the photocard so if you don't mind i could ask you some questions about that tomorrow? but thank you so much! you've been so helpful
Reply 6
Original post by ctrlm.
omg if you could do that i'd appreciate it so much?? that's so immensely kind of you
i think i'm going to focus on the general conversation part of the speaking today and tomorrow work on the roleplay and the photocard so if you don't mind i could ask you some questions about that tomorrow? but thank you so much! you've been so helpful

sounds like a great plan! ill pm the link over now. the way i tackled the questions was by using a whiteboard and pen. before i flipped over the flashcard, i would write what i remember on how to answer the question and then flip the flashcard over and add what i didn't remember in a different colour. its something that requires quite a bit of effort, especially if you don't know what modules are being covered but it really helps to get the info stuck in. and besides, a lot of the info covered in one question overlaps with what the other questions are asking so don't worry if you don't remember all of it - you could always link it to another question.
sounds like a great plan! ill pm the link over now. the way i tackled the questions was by using a whiteboard and pen. before i flipped over the flashcard, i would write what i remember on how to answer the question and then flip the flashcard over and add what i didn't remember in a different colour. its something that requires quite a bit of effort, especially if you don't know what modules are being covered but it really helps to get the info stuck in. and besides, a lot of the info covered in one question overlaps with what the other questions are asking so don't worry if you don't remember all of it - you could always link it to another question.

Could you pm me the flashcards as well?
Thank you!
Reply 8

i love that blurting technique! i'm definitely going to use it and it sounds like you did really good in your french gcse (woah)
you've made me feel a lot more reassured about this speaking exam and i can't help but thank you again for it - thank you so much for the pm!
Reply 9
would you like me to pm you my french speaking flashcards which have all the speaking questions for each topic? i did aqa too and they're all grade 9 level (according to my teacher at least). they cover the conversation questions but im not sure if youre doing that or not

for the photocard, its the other way around - expand and use complex sentence structures. of course stay within your limit because you don't want to attempt a really cool sentence structure only to flunk it completely but really try to add on extra information like opinions, weather, different tenses to show off your skills. i'd aim to use three tenses in the additional questions they ask alongside the photocard. remember that you have a timing limit as well. with the roleplay and photocard, it's all about practice, again i can help out if you would like - i think i may have some speaking resources my teacher gave me which i could dig out and send?

I'm also going to do AQA GCSE French as well, can you send over teh flashcards just in case i need them?

is there any way i could have them aswell just for some help i would not copy many as im really struggling how to write good ones
could i please have your flashcards I’m struggling to find some good ones
Original post by lauren.tttt
is there any way i could have them aswell just for some help i would not copy many as im really struggling how to write good ones

ofcc heres the link. honestly i dont mind if you copy them i dont think theyd pick up on it during a speaking exam anyways. i have no idea where module 7 questions have gone. if you're desperate for them, i can dig them out of my french gcse folder if needed :smile:

https://www.brainscape.com/p/40Y8A-LH-B3W9H
Original post by Jasmaster
could i please have your flashcards I’m struggling to find some good ones

see above :smile:
see above :smile:

Thanks
Original post by Usbdss
good luck !!!

hii I do aqa but all the info u said was basically applicable to my exam board aswell
anyways ur advice seems really straightforward and clear its pretty much foolproof I try stick to that but sometimes I slip up in the role-play with complexity and make a mistake
im aiming for a nine on my exam next week the last mock I got an 8 cuz I think I messed up my photo card tense I spoke in imperfect instead of past which wasn't necessarily "wrong" completely but it meant the other questions I had to add extra past tense into I also think I messed up my role play a bit
I wanted to ask what was ur sort of checklist to see what u put in ur photo card responses to make them as developed as possible and of high standard and also how u would revise for role-play and photcards
also when u say "questions on topics shouls sound natural and should be extended : use a poj noj structure positive opinion justification andnegative opinion justification" im a bit slow so I dont really understand what this means could u try to expand on it a bit cuz im trying to make sure fluency went be a problem for me.

hi I do aqa too my exams next week im not feeling to stressed as when I do stress like in my mocks I get too nervous and mess up its really bad
last mock I got 8 and was quite scared i messed up a bit of my role-play and photo card
I think my photocard answers are decent my teacher tells me there good after the exam however I want to ensure a nine for my actual exam next week so what would u normally put in your photo card responses to maintain complexity etc
Original post by riley.luce
hi I do aqa too my exams next week im not feeling to stressed as when I do stress like in my mocks I get too nervous and mess up its really bad
last mock I got 8 and was quite scared i messed up a bit of my role-play and photo card
I think my photocard answers are decent my teacher tells me there good after the exam however I want to ensure a nine for my actual exam next week so what would u normally put in your photo card responses to maintain complexity etc

You know how your exam is next week is it possible for you to find out what all the other photocards and role plays were. I know it’s a big ask but French is the only subject I don’t think I can get over 7 in so I need all the help I can get
id honestly tell u straight away but the exams dont work like that
ive had 2 older sisters who did there exams before so I know this
basically for each time slot for example some ppl at my school have on next Monday people exams from 9 to 11 they will all have different photo cards pre picked out for them in that period so none of them can tell each other
and then the people from 12 to 2 will have there's picked out differently aswell from a new watch of photo cards
there's like loads of photo cards aqa send out and the teacher or whoever for u guys will pick out the photo card since there's loads of photocards its really unlikely if I get one it could be yours too as there's a little to no chance that I will have the person who had a photo card on Monday at 10;30.
ill still tell u what mine was and try and tell u some of my friends cuz there's is before mine so u know if there hard or not but im pretty sure ur teacher picks it for u so may they'd know u can do a challenging one or something that happened to my sisters friend her teacher picked a hard one for her cuz she thought she was capable
but idk that will happen cuz honestly that teacher was just a psycho
Original post by Jasmaster
You know how your exam is next week is it possible for you to find out what all the other photocards and role plays were. I know it’s a big ask but French is the only subject I don’t think I can get over 7 in so I need all the help I can get

ill try and ask quite few people I mean there only a limited amount of people who actually remember there photo card and ill be able to tell u by next Thursday

Quick Reply

Latest