The Student Room Group

Can I get two separate maths GCSEs in linear and modular?

Hello,

I have already completed 2/3 of my maths modular exam with AQA with the remaining 1/3 to be sat next June. However, my school has just announced that we will be primarily sitting the linear exam with AQA (again) this January. I've asked my teacher these questions but she doesn't really know... so is it possible to get two GCSEs in both linear and modular; what if I do better in the modular or vice versa? Can I just declare the better grade or must I declare both of them?

Any help would be much appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Same thing happened to me except I was doing EdExcel. My overall grade was based on linear because it covers all of the modular exams, not 100% sure how AQA will do it tough.
Original post by Instinct01
Hello,

I have already completed 2/3 of my maths modular exam with AQA with the remaining 1/3 to be sat next June. However, my school has just announced that we will be primarily sitting the linear exam with AQA (again) this January. I've asked my teacher these questions but she doesn't really know... so is it possible to get two GCSEs in both linear and modular; what if I do better in the modular or vice versa? Can I just declare the better grade to colleges & UCAS etc, or must I declare both of them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Anyway, I don't even know why my school are doing this. It means I have to relearn all the content for Unit 1 and 2, in addition to learning unit 3 in such a short space of time, even though I did well in those exams! Any advice?

You can get two GCSEs, yes. You'll have to put them both down on UCAS. I'd just finish the 1/3 of the modular exam, don't waste your time with the linear - the modular will be easier now that you've already done 2/3 of it.
Reply 3
Original post by The Polymath
You can get two GCSEs, yes. You'll have to put them both down on UCAS. I'd just finish the 1/3 of the modular exam, don't waste your time with the linear - the modular will be easier now that you've already done 2/3 of it.

Oh, I see. Thank you. Yeah, it would be a lot easier if I just finished the 1/3 left of the modular exam but the school are making us all do the linear since a lot of people didn't do very well. They say it will be a 'back-up' but I'm sure that I will do worse since I have to relearn all the content that I thought I could just forget lol.
Original post by Instinct01
Oh, I see. Thank you. Yeah, it would be a lot easier if I just finished the 1/3 left of the modular exam but the school are making us all do the linear since a lot of people didn't do very well. They say it will be a 'back-up' but I'm sure that I will do worse since I have to relearn all the content that I thought I could just forget lol.

Backup? Ofc you'll do worse, and if you don't do worse in Maths you'll just do worse in something else. Seriously, just do the modular and screw the linear. If they make you take it, get a U in it and universities will know what happened - an A* and a U in the same month, both in Maths, they'll assume something went wrong with the exam entry. Check with your teachers though, and get your parents to complain (works wonders).
Yeah you can I got an A in linear EdExcel and A* at OCR modular

Quick Reply

Latest