The Student Room Group

Should I take 5 A-levels?

post removed
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

At the end of the day it's up to you and there are definitely people who've successfully done it before. However, most people really struggle with 3 A Levels so it's definitely going to be very tough on you and I personally wouldn't recommend it. I think the max should be 4, including FM. I don't think that should put you at any sort of disadvantage. Also, most sixth forms set up their timetables in a way that it becomes impossible to fit in all the lessons for 5 A-Levels so consider that too.
I doubt your school will allow 5 for the reason that it's crazy. Now A levels are linear 4 including FMaths is the most you should even consider. You are in Year 10 so focus on GCSEs this year ...
If you can handle it why not?

However, considering you are in year 10, you do not know what a-levels you will find easy or hard. Subjects change. I found A-level Further Maths much easier than GCSE Maths (sounds really silly, but it happens). I’ve been told languages are more literature based too at a-level, so you may not enjoy it/be as good as you think.

Also, I think Ivy’s care more about extra curriculars than extra a-levels. I would say focus on 4 a-levels and then bang out some ecs (team sports etc).
Considering you’re only in year 10 I wouldn’t unless you’re extremely smart then in that case you would probably be taking at least one A Level early, but since you’re not then I strongly advise against 5 A Levels at the same time. That and probably no sixth form would allow it.
Don't bother with chemistry because you can't get advanced placement for chemistry at MIT normally and it's a mandatory class (gen ed requirement) in your first year at MIT. So you'll just re-study the content there even if you did it before.
A*A*AAB would look considerably worse than A*A*A*A* or A*A*A* to MIT. 3/4 A-levels is sufficient course rigour and considering the amount of other things you have to think about (ECs, essays and the SAT/ACT) it is 100% *not* worth it. A-levels are far more rigourous than GCSEs and it's easy to underestimate that if you haven't done them.
Those aren't good gades 4 x A* is far better - is this a private school?
You just answered your own question

Beard in mind that even for oxford there are people scoring 6A* so 5A*s aren’t really that impressive compared to this
Maybe something for leadership, some work experience (something research based if possible) and something political. Stuff like anti-bullying ambassadors or head of year etc are all great for this and super easy to do. Tbh tho im not too sure, but im sure tons of info is available already online
it would be discriminatory for them to advantage A-levels > 3 because many schools do not allow it so no they do not
It's like doing 14 GCSE's...
I did physics maths chem bio and fmaths. Not worth it. Got through it but honestly no uni will look more favourably on you because you took 5. All offers will be given to 3 alevels, not 4 or 5. And it’s not like GCSEs- it’s much harder and a LOT more content. You’ll be spreading yourself too thin so I wouldn’t recommend it.
No, don't, the workload will kill you and it's pointless because universities only require 3.
Oh, and mock and exam season will kill you. 2 2 hour exams a day is brutal and tbh shouldn’t be allowed. So in all, most sixth forms won’t even let you for the sake of your well-being. If there was something to gain from it like Oxford preferring you, then maybe. But they advise themselves to take 3 alone, so there is nothing to gain aside from eternal fatigue and stress
A*A*AAB?? Even more reason to just stick with 3/4, most universities would favour 4 or 3 A*s, even A*A*A over those grades. Do the courses required for you to study what/where you want at uni, no University expects you to even do 4 A Levels to begin with, let alone 5. Unless you are 100% confident you will get 5 A*s (you’re in year 10 so you have no clue how difficult A Levels are to begin with) then stick to 4 max with further maths being the 4th
(edited 1 year ago)
I agree with this, absolutely no reason to take on the extra work which could ultimately result in lower grades. You're much better off sticking to 4 or 3 A Levels and getting good grades in them. FYI you can still go to Oxford for a lot of courses with 3 A levels.
Original post by Hisksjd
A*A*AAB?? Even more reason to just stick with 3/4, most universities would favour 4 or 3 A*s, even A*A*A over those grades. Do the courses required for you to study what/where you want at uni, no University expects you to even do 4 A Levels to begin with, let alone 5.
absolutely do not
As most people are saying 5 A-levels is a lot of work, but if you think you can do it start with all 5 see how you handle it and drop a subject if it’s too much. There’s no harm in dropping a subject especially at the begging of year 12.
Original post by Hisksjd
A*A*AAB?? Even more reason to just stick with 3/4, most universities would favour 4 or 3 A*s, even A*A*A over those grades. Do the courses required for you to study what/where you want at uni, no University expects you to even do 4 A Levels to begin with, let alone 5. Unless you are 100% confident you will get 5 A*s (you’re in year 10 so you have no clue how difficult A Levels are to begin with) then stick to 4 max with further maths being the 4th

Btw this is coming from someone who did 4 A Levels. Most Universities I applied to didn’t even care for the 4th A Level, every offer I received just asked for 3 grades in certain subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest