The Student Room Group

Online college for A-levels

I'm looking for an online fast-track A-level school for OxfordAQA Biology, Chemistry and Math. I have found ones that offer AQA for my desired subjects so I was wondering if there really was a difference in the AQA and Oxford International AQA A-levels. Can someone suggest options for my tutoring and give me some clarity?

Thank you so much for any help you may offer!!
Original post by janviranish
I'm looking for an online fast-track A-level school for OxfordAQA Biology, Chemistry and Math. I have found ones that offer AQA for my desired subjects so I was wondering if there really was a difference in the AQA and Oxford International AQA A-levels. Can someone suggest options for my tutoring and give me some clarity?

Thank you so much for any help you may offer!!

International A-levels are still modular (I believe). Rather than linear. They are equivalent level.

I didn’t think you could sit international A-levels in the UK anymore after Goves’s education reforms. As moving to linearised qualifications was the intention for UK students- but im not 100% sure on this.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
International A-levels are still modular (I believe). Rather than linear. They are equivalent level.

I didn’t think you could sit international A-levels in the UK anymore after Goves’s education reforms. As moving to linearised qualifications was the intention for UK students- but im not 100% sure on this.

Thank you for your reply.
I don't live in the UK so IAL is the only option for me.

Are you aware of online colleges that provide tutoring for OxfordAQA?
I've contacted opencollege.ac and oxfordcollege.ac. They only have CIE for IAL and AQA in UK GCE A-Levels. How different is OxfordAQA from AQA?
I'm running out of time so I'll take what I can get.
Thank you for your reply.
I don't live in the UK so IAL is the only option for me.

Are you aware of online colleges that provide tutoring for OxfordAQA?
I've contacted opencollege.ac and oxfordcollege.ac. They only have CIE for IAL and AQA in UK GCE A-Levels. How different is OxfordAQA from AQA?
I'm running out of time so I'll take what I can get.

No idea - no experience with online A-levels.

I would check verifiable reviews, perhaps the international baccalaureate is an alternative as well.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
No idea - no experience with online A-levels.

I would check verifiable reviews, perhaps the international baccalaureate is an alternative as well.

Alright.
I want to complete it in a year through a testing center. I'm not aware of any private testing services for the IB where I live in Qatar. And I've heard the IB is hard as well. Considering I want to complete it in a year, OxfordAQA seems like the easiest option.

Anyway, thank you for your time.
Reply 5
Alright.
I want to complete it in a year through a testing center. I'm not aware of any private testing services for the IB where I live in Qatar. And I've heard the IB is hard as well. Considering I want to complete it in a year, OxfordAQA seems like the easiest option.

You want to do 3 A-levels in one year, and you want to do them on-line? Are you looking to do them this year i.e to sit them in May/June? If so you have already missed 6 weeks or so of teaching.

However much work you put in, I don't think that is achievable, as it is too much content to cover in 1 year, at least not if you want to get top grades.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
You want to do 3 A-levels in one year, and you want to do them on-line? Are you looking to do them this year i.e to sit them in May/June? If so you have already missed 6 weeks or so of teaching.

However much work you put in, I don't think that is achievable, as it is too much content to cover in 1 year, at least not if you want to get top grades.

I've actually completed high school in a different curriculum. A lot of what is taught in A-levels is not new to me. I think it's do-able or at least worth a shot.
Reply 7
I've actually completed high school in a different curriculum. A lot of what is taught in A-levels is not new to me. I think it's do-able or at least worth a shot.

Okay, it's completely unrealistic for someone that has not already covered much of the content, but don't know about your situation. Best of luck.
Reply 8
Original post by lalexm
Okay, it's completely unrealistic for someone that has not already covered much of the content, but don't know about your situation. Best of luck.

Yeah it does sound like a lot. But I really have to do this.
I've already started studying with online resources and youtube videos. The only reasons I'm looking for tutoring is for predicted grades and because I've heard self-studying may not be a good idea.
(edited 6 months ago)
Alright.

My general impression is IB has more breadth, A-levels have more depth. IAL modularity gives some flexibility in what you actually study.

In general “difficulty” is an over egged issue as they are always scored relative to candidate pool & universities essentially are using them for background knowledge and as a yardstick between candidates. You also can’t generally interpret the natural volatility in how a paper and cohort will move year to year.

Quick Reply

Latest