The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hate maths in a way but ironically I will be taking it as an A level
Original post by tazarooni89
I think Maths has a cultural perception surrounding it whereby unless you're just "blessed" with the gift of mathematical ability by virtue of either having Asperger's Syndrome or being Asian, you don't stand a chance.

There is some truth to this. A mathematics teacher told me that cultural background plays a large part. Indian students, especially boys, are mostly in the top GCSE set. It's rare to find Jamaican students in the top set and girls usually get better GCSE grades than boys. Social class is also a factor amongst the white British. Mathematics is a very middle class subject where it is not just socially acceptable but almost expected for children from lower class backgrounds to be mathematically inept and detest the subject.

What I find controversial is the attitude of parents at a local Asperger Syndrome support group. Not all the kids are of high mathematical ability but for those who are there is a conflict of interest between the kids who want to surge ahead in the subject and the parents who just want them to do the work that they are set to do at school. A situation where a 10 year old is studying trigonometry and quadratic equations at home but is forced to learn decimals and percentages at school along with the rest of the class.
a man who made my wish is that in grave his dead body have snakes
Original post by ameeq ahmad
a man who made my wish is that in grave his dead body have snakes

What
I think that whether or not you like maths is completely up to how good your teacher is.
I love it, its like the only constant in my life 😂
maths didn't have any use in our evolutionary development really, but understanding emotions and communicating emotions and ideas was life or death important. goodness knows how the abiltity for maths even slipped through the net, considering it also often comes along with reduced interpersonal and emtional understanding...that's my opinion anyway.
Original post by Airess3
Why do people in the western countries generally hate Maths? I only know a minority of people who really like maths and find it interesting. But why is there such a dislike about maths in our society? Is it because people have poor numeracy skills resulting in them finding it difficult and boring?? Or is it because of people's lack of determination to practice and do well in Maths? So they give up easily. Why is it genuinely more acceptable to be bad at maths but not in some other subjects like English? And if you are good at or like maths, you are considered as a geek of some sort?

I think people mistake numeracy and math because they are lumped in together if they can split those two teach the tables by wrote hell consecrating on two a year for instance year 1 could do say 2 and 10 just repeat them Every day on the morning and teach basic arithmetic then a separate math class with things like algebra and things people would then know what math is and possibly be more interested.
Original post by applesforme
maths didn't have any use in our evolutionary development really, but understanding emotions and communicating emotions and ideas was life or death important. goodness knows how the abiltity for maths even slipped through the net, considering it also often comes along with reduced interpersonal and emtional understanding...that's my opinion anyway.

Maybe not in evolutionary development, but in human's history, it did. Calculations and numbers were a great step to civilisation and we use them more than before, no matter in what an extent.
Original post by the bear
Success in mathematics requires diligence

Diligence is unfashionable

you actually made my day mate. That is so funny.:smile:
yeah it's hard
Reply 471
Its just SOOOOOOOOOO boring!
Original post by Napp
Its just SOOOOOOOOOO boring!

I blame school.

Teachers make it so boring you'll literally do anything to avoid it.

Latest