The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ArthurOliver
Is it suggestive that there was no "racist lecturer" thread, but a thread about a "lecturer in racism row"?

If you read that thread Nef, you may have heard the radio interview where Ellis was asked if he's racist and he asked for a definition of the term, the reporter didn't have one. This is typical in my experience and is the very epitome of over-use, most people using it don't know what they mean by it!

The thread was called "Racist lecturer at Manchester" even though i belive the uni in question was Leeds

I didn't just read the thread i made several posts in the thread trying to get the message through to people that Ellis said several things which could not be classed as racist and several things which were definitely racist.
However the red mist had descended and people were to busy either crying for his blood to accept that some of what he said was acceptable if a little insensitive. Other people latched onto these things and were fighting tooth and nail for his right to say them and ignored all the clearly racist things he said. Little productive came of the debate and one of the latter negged me rather pettily.
Reply 21
Bismarck
That's the definition of "prejudice" though. Racism entails acting on that prejudice.

Racism requires action? I wouldnt have thought so. You can have racist views. Racism is simply a sub-set of prejudice.

However - whether or not prejudice has to be unfounded is quite another thing.
Reply 22
Lawz-
Racism requires action? I wouldnt have thought so. You can have racist views. Racism is simply a sub-set of prejudice.

The ICERD (International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination) defines racism as follows:

“Any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment, or exercise, on equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural, or any other field of public life.”

That seems to suggest that thought by itself can't be racist. Racism is discrimination based on race.
Reply 23
Bismarck
That seems to suggest that thought by itself can't be racist. Racism is discrimination based on race.

You can discriminate mentally I would contend.

Regardless, Im not sure about that definition... it seems too broad in that there are some perfectly valid racial distinctions.
Lawz-

On that basis, I don't think that the word 'racist' is over used because many many people have racist thoughts and therefore are racist so other people are right in using the term racist. There is no other they could or should use.
Reply 25
The word 'fascist' is grossly overused. When people voice their (often considered extreme) opinions on race, culture, etc. they are called fascists, even if these same people are pro-democracy.
Reply 26
Curious~Leo-ess1989
On that basis, I don't think that the word 'racist' is over used because many many people have racist thoughts and therefore are racist so other people are right in using the term racist. There is no other they could or should use.

So you dotn think that people are called racist often when they are merely expressing a cultural view?

it happens all the time.

Of course racist is overused
Reply 27
How predictable that all the racist fascists would proclaim their victimhood.
Reply 28
Laika
How predictable that all the racist fascists would proclaim their victimhood.

WHo are you talking about?

I get the imrpession you include me.

If not - clarify

if so - where have I been racist?

Also - please look up the word facist. You dont seem to understand it.
Reply 29
Lawz-

Fascist - anyone a leftist disagrees with (including fellow leftists)
Reply 30
Bismarck

Ahhh yes - that's it :smile:
Racist, IMO.
I've even used it in the last couple of days myself.
It is now applied to anyone who holds a different view to your own that involves people of a different race, or even sometimes of the same race.
I'd put facist second (or nazi, which most see as interchanagble) and is used to denote anyone with not left wing views, or anyone speaking on a subject of restrictive views eg. someone is a nazi/facist because they expect your paper in by Thursday.
I'd probably go for communist next, used to attempt to insult anyone who is more left wing than the person using the phrase.
Finally terrorist, which is not used as an insult that often (except by some right wingers against asians) and therefore not that over used, IMO.
Reply 32
Lawz-
WHo are you talking about?

I get the imrpession you include me.

If not - clarify

if so - where have I been racist?

It's ok I was just kidding.

Racism is probably the most overused and fascism is the most misused I would say.
Reply 33
either racist or fascist. People don't know what either of these really means, they should look in a dictionary some time.

EastMidlander
Racist, IMO.
I've even used it in the last couple of days myself.
It is now applied to anyone who holds a different view to your own that involves people of a different race, or even sometimes of the same race.

I think you overuse racist. :rolleyes:
Reply 34
Bismarck

Communist - anyone a rightist disagrees with (including fellow rightists)
They all get mixed up together! That, to me, is a greater linguistic debasement than any one could be. Communist and Terrorist are frequently paired up, as are the other two, but it's possible to be called all four in rapid succession, in one big long stream of Rant.

In any case, I can't decide which one is more abused/overused than all the others. Great thread, though.
Lawz-
So you dotn think that people are called racist often when they are merely expressing a cultural view?

it happens all the time.

Of course racist is overused

What do you mean by 'cultural view'?
Reply 37
I think racist is the most overused; however terrorism is the most abused today.
Reply 38
Curious~Leo-ess1989
What do you mean by 'cultural view'?

As in people criticise a cultural aspect and get called racist, when the commen has nothing to do with skin colour.
Lawz-
As in people criticise a cultural aspect and get called racist, when the commen has nothing to do with skin colour.

Here's some definitions for you:

Race: A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

or; Race: Humans considered as a group.

Racist: racially discriminatory.

So if you were to make a negative remark about a group of people based on their common culture, then yes, you are being racist.

Latest

Trending

Trending