The Student Room Group

english language & linguistics degree

hello, just wondering if anyone has any advice on english language and linguistics personal statement? looking to apply before Christmas, i see a lot of ps that include loads from books, but this isn't really what english is about for me. uni of birmingham is my aspirational, thank you !
Reply 1
hey! i’ve applied for linguistics this year and already received 4/5 offers - one of which is from birmingham! from personal experience and what i’ve heard from others, my best piece of advice would be to start by making notes on your linguistic interests and then link them to any reading and experiences. reading doesn’t have to mean whole books, it can simply be a short article or i’d recommend podcasts if reading isn’t your thing, you can also mention those! then in terms of experiences, it can be as simple as noticing a difference between the way an individual speaks in comparison to the way they text, you can even link this to yourself! i’d recommend starting the ps with what actually interested you in the subject then work from there. don’t be worried if you don’t have lots of reading and/or experience to include, in this case i think that less is more, just make sure to analyse what you say and keep adding depth. also, don’t be afraid to make critical comments and bring up debates like prescriptivism vs descriptivism or nature vs nurture! admissions teams will be searching for those who can form an opinion on topics within the subject and articulate it well. make sure to sound genuinely passionate about the subject and emphasise your enthusiasm and willingness to study linguistics at degree level throughout your ps!

best of luck and let me know if you have any questions! <3
Reply 2
Original post by maishhh
hey! i’ve applied for linguistics this year and already received 4/5 offers - one of which is from birmingham! from personal experience and what i’ve heard from others, my best piece of advice would be to start by making notes on your linguistic interests and then link them to any reading and experiences. reading doesn’t have to mean whole books, it can simply be a short article or i’d recommend podcasts if reading isn’t your thing, you can also mention those! then in terms of experiences, it can be as simple as noticing a difference between the way an individual speaks in comparison to the way they text, you can even link this to yourself! i’d recommend starting the ps with what actually interested you in the subject then work from there. don’t be worried if you don’t have lots of reading and/or experience to include, in this case i think that less is more, just make sure to analyse what you say and keep adding depth. also, don’t be afraid to make critical comments and bring up debates like prescriptivism vs descriptivism or nature vs nurture! admissions teams will be searching for those who can form an opinion on topics within the subject and articulate it well. make sure to sound genuinely passionate about the subject and emphasise your enthusiasm and willingness to study linguistics at degree level throughout your ps!

best of luck and let me know if you have any questions! <3

thank you - this was super helpful! i'm applying this week and hope to be as lucky with that bham offer 🙂

but one thing - do you think using 'I' too much as a sentence opener in your ps is necessarily a bad thing? i've been told different things such as you can overuse it, but i'm trying to keep my ps concise, simple and relevant to me - not taking an unnecessary, abstract approach especially with an english language degree. sorry if i've explained that in a confusing way haha, i'm not sure how else to put it

ty again!
Reply 3
Original post by agb436
thank you - this was super helpful! i'm applying this week and hope to be as lucky with that bham offer 🙂

but one thing - do you think using 'I' too much as a sentence opener in your ps is necessarily a bad thing? i've been told different things such as you can overuse it, but i'm trying to keep my ps concise, simple and relevant to me - not taking an unnecessary, abstract approach especially with an english language degree. sorry if i've explained that in a confusing way haha, i'm not sure how else to put it

ty again!

hey! remember your personal statement is meant to be personal, so it’s definitely impossible to not use ‘i’. i used ‘i’ and ‘my’ a lot throughout my personal statement but just be careful to not overuse it. by overusing i just mean that you should ensure every sentence isn’t beginning with it. i changed a few of my paragraph openers to avoid repetition, but i did use ‘i’ a lot throughout. my best tip would be to read your personal statement out loud once you’ve finished it, and check it actually reads well out loud, you will pick up on any mistakes when doing that! hope that all makes sense, best of luck! <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending