The Student Room Group

Apply to Durham? Yes or No?

Hello,

Last year, I achieved an A in A-Level Mathematics, A in AS Physics and an A in AS Electronics. I will be resitting C3 and C4 to get an A* in Mathematics.

I've chosen to apply to; Oxford Maths (A*A*A), Warwick Maths (A*A*A2), Warwick Discrete Maths (A*AA) and Nottingham Maths (A*AB).

The last spot is either York Maths (AAA) or Durham Maths (A*AA). My friends have suggested me to go with an AAA university, just as a backup choice. Obviously this is because I failed to achieve the A* in Mathematics first time round. I disagree, I know I am capable of achieving A*A*A*A* (if I continue with electronics).

My UMS is very poor though. I scored around 85% on average in Maths. If I score 100 UMS on both C3 and C4 resits (which I know I can do), it will take it to around 93%. In addition, my AS Physics UMS is 94% and AS Electronics is 82%.

I have heard that Durham ask for UMS scores. Is it worth applying to them, or will I be auto rejected due to <90% average? I don't want to 'waste' a spot on my application.

Edit: Just in case you guys don't read my sig. I'm studying Further Maths too :smile: I will complete the full A-Level this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I am going to have to be harsh about this because you need to know some things.

Unfortunately Durham places a very large emphasis on UMS scores which will put you at a disadvantage. 85% + retaking isn't going to look good for Durham imo

Especially since you have 4 other high offers including an A* in Maths I would strongly warn against Durham unless you are willing to use it in replacement of another choice.

Hate to say it but Oxford is not going to be very impressed that you did not manage to get an A* in Maths and you are not doing Further Maths.
Oxford and Warwick both ask for Further Maths as part of their offer and you will be SEVERELY disadvantaged without it (unless you have a very good reason that you have not mentioned). Also Electronics is considered a 'soft' subject and its your third one.

York has a fairly decent maths course, I went to look around last year and put it as my insurance. Also Nottingham is great.

In conclusion, apply to York instead. good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by oh_1993
I am going to have to be harsh about this because you need to know some things.

Unfortunately Durham places a very large emphasis on UMS scores which will put you at a disadvantage. 85% + retaking isn't going to look good for Durham imo

Especially since you have 4 other high offers including an A* in Maths I would strongly warn against Durham unless you are willing to use it in replacement of another choice.

Hate to say it but Oxford is not going to be very impressed that you did not manage to get an A* in Maths and you are not doing Further Maths.
Oxford and Warwick both ask for Further Maths as part of their offer and you will be SEVERELY disadvantaged without it (unless you have a very good reason that you have not mentioned). Also Electronics is considered a 'soft' subject and its your third one.

York has a fairly decent maths course, I went to look around last year and put it as my insurance. Also Nottingham is great.

In conclusion, apply to York instead. good luck.

Oops! Sorry, I didn't explain it well. I completed the Mathematics A-Level last year, and I'm doing the full A-Level in Further Mathematics this year (hence why I said I think I can get A*A*A*A*). It's the way my school does it. I will also be continuing with A2 Physics and perhaps A2 Electronics.

I realise only having an A first time round isn't ideal. I asked Oxford Admissions (in person) and they said I would still be a competitive applicant and should definitely apply.

Like I said, I know my UMS is poor so I may not apply to Durham if they're wanting 90%+. My feeling was that they can't be too picky because a lot of the 90%+ will be applying to UCL/Imp/LSE/Ox/Cam/War/St Andrews/Bath which are all better than Durham.
Reply 3
Original post by Prepotency
Oops! Sorry, I didn't explain it well. I completed the Mathematics A-Level last year, and I'm doing the full A-Level in Further Mathematics this year (hence why I said I think I can get A*A*A*A*). It's the way my school does it. I will also be continuing with A2 Physics and perhaps A2 Electronics.

I realise only having an A first time round isn't ideal. I asked Oxford Admissions (in person) and they said I would still be a competitive applicant and should definitely apply.

Like I said, I know my UMS is poor so I may not apply to Durham if they're wanting 90%+. My feeling was that they can't be too picky because a lot of the 90%+ will be applying to UCL/Imp/LSE/Ox/Cam/War/St Andrews/Bath which are all better than Durham.

Sounds much better now. What Oxford college are you considering applying to? I am also an Oxford maths applicant this year. :smile:
Reply 4

You are correct that those departments are usually ranked above Durham, but you are forgetting that Durham has a great reputation as a university as well. A lot of students may be drawn to it because it is traditional and has a college system. When I applied (last year) they made it very clear that you needed a good 90+% UMS score average in every maths module taken. I would advise against applying there when there are other high ranked universities that don't use UMS scores.
Having an A in maths and picking 5 A* in maths universities is pretty silly and I think you have to face up to this fact. There are plenty of other options for you, eg Bristol which is one of the best courses outside of COWI, Lancaster, Manchester, St Andrews, Edinburgh and York like you said. Remember that this is your 5th option, it doesn't need to be somewhere that you are very keen to go to.
Reply 5
Original post by fGDu
You are correct that those departments are usually ranked above Durham, but you are forgetting that Durham has a great reputation as a university as well. A lot of students may be drawn to it because it is traditional and has a college system. When I applied (last year) they made it very clear that you needed a good 90+% UMS score average in every maths module taken. I would advise against applying there when there are other high ranked universities that don't use UMS scores.
Having an A in maths and picking 5 A* in maths universities is pretty silly and I think you have to face up to this fact. There are plenty of other options for you, eg Bristol which is one of the best courses outside of COWI, Lancaster, Manchester, St Andrews, Edinburgh and York like you said. Remember that this is your 5th option, it doesn't need to be somewhere that you are very keen to go to.

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

I've thought about it long and hard and I think I'm pretty sure on this:

Oxford - Maths & Statistics A*A*A
Warwick - Maths A*A*A2
Warwick - MMORSE A*AA/AAA2
Nottingham - Maths A*AB
York - Maths AAB

... that's assuming Warwick allow me to apply to both of their courses. One is ran by the statistics department and the other by the mathematics department. I'm hoping it will be okay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm an ABB student and I don't do maths so don't pay much attention to me.

But if I were you I'd be aiming for something a little bit lower just to have an sure shot of getting into uni. Something like ABB or something. Though York covers it I suppose.

Good luck anyway. You seem smart. I doubt you need it. xP
Reply 7
Original post by TayRex
I'm an ABB student and I don't do maths so don't pay much attention to me.

But if I were you I'd be aiming for something a little bit lower just to have an sure shot of getting into uni. Something like ABB or something. Though York covers it I suppose.

Good luck anyway. You seem smart. I doubt you need it. xP

Thank you, all advice is appreciated.

A part of me is saying that if I get below A*AB (miss the Nottingham offer), then I'll do a third year. But I don't think it will come to that :biggrin:
Reply 8
Can you really pick two different courses at one uni and apply to both?
Reply 9
Original post by Zhy

I think so? I know you can't apply to two courses from the same department... but these are different departments. Albeit they are in the same building! :redface:
How are you so certain you will get A*A*A*A*, better candidates than you are not certain of achieving that.
Reply 11
Original post by marcus2001
How are you so certain you will get A*A*A*A*, better candidates than you are not certain of achieving that.

I said capable? Not sure where you've got 'certain' from.. Even then, I'm most likely dropping Electronics, so that would leave me with three potential A*'s.
Reply 12
Original post by Zhy

This girl I know applied to nursing courses all at the same university. Five applications to the same university. Stuff like mental nursing and paediatric nursing etc. I think it is possible but you should contact the university specifically and ask. :smile:
Reply 13
Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

I've thought about it long and hard and I think I'm pretty sure on this:

Oxford - Maths & Statistics A*A*A
Warwick - Maths A*A*A2
Warwick - MMORSE A*AA/AAA2
Nottingham - Maths A*AB
York - Maths AAB

... that's assuming Warwick allow me to apply to both of their courses. One is ran by the statistics department and the other by the mathematics department. I'm hoping it will be okay.

That looks good, I think Nottingham offer AAA/A*AB as well so that makes it 2/5 being safe options. Best of luck with your applications, maybe you will see me at Warwick :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by fGDu
That looks good, I think Nottingham offer AAA/A*AB as well so that makes it 2/5 being safe options. Best of luck with your applications, maybe you will see me at Warwick :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:

Hopefully! Warwick is actually my favourite university so far :tongue: hence two applications.

I assume they will be okay with me applying for MMORSE and Maths? They're different departments, so it should be okay?
Reply 15
Thank you very much :smile:

Hopefully! Warwick is actually my favourite university so far :tongue: hence two applications.

I assume they will be okay with me applying for MMORSE and Maths? They're different departments, so it should be okay?

Yep they are two totally different admissions systems, so I don't see why not. You should email them to be sure. What a lot of offer holders were offered this year was to transfer to Discrete Mathematics if they didn't get the grades for Maths, so that is also a safety net.

They don't have to be that un-picky it seems though- they rejected me with 8.5 A*s 1 A 0.5Bs and a distinction in a dual award ICT course (forgotten what it was called- though i know it counted for another 2 GCSEs) at GCSE and AAAAB at AS (maths, fm, chem, phys and the B in bio)! :tongue:

Admittedly my FM UMS wasn't exactly that great (I self taught and didn't actually begin learning any of the modules until several days before each exam) and my s1 score was only like 82 (even though i thought the exam went perfectly! :confused: :frown: ) however i had nearly perfect scores throughout in my core modules and none of my modules were below on A which i thought might counterbalance that, but it seems not :tongue:.
Reply 17
Original post by In One Ear
They don't have to be that un-picky it seems though- they rejected me with 8.5 A*s 1 A 0.5Bs and a distinction in a dual award ICT course (forgotten what it was called- though i know it counted for another 2 GCSEs) at GCSE and AAAAB at AS (maths, fm, chem, phys and the B in bio)! :tongue:

Admittedly my FM UMS wasn't exactly that great (I self taught and didn't actually begin learning any of the modules until several days before each exam) and my s1 score was only like 82 (even though i thought the exam went perfectly! :confused: :frown: ) however i had nearly perfect scores throughout in my core modules and none of my modules were below on A which i thought might counterbalance that, but it seems not :tongue:.

That's crazy. I'm not going to apply there then :wink:

I've emailed Warwick to make sure I can apply for two courses and they said it was fine.

So I'm going with; Warwick x2, Oxford, Nottingham and York.

Thank you everyone for all the help!
That's crazy. I'm not going to apply there then :wink:

I've emailed Warwick to make sure I can apply for two courses and they said it was fine.

So I'm going with; Warwick x2, Oxford, Nottingham and York.

Thank you everyone for all the help!

Ahah, don't let me scare you away from applying! :wink:

In all honesty though I suspect the tipping factor might have had something to do with me submitting my application at 23:57 the evening of the midnight deadline- i guess maybe they didn't like that :colonhash:. The impression that gave could easily have been enough to (barely) reject me- they waited pretty much until the absolute latest they were legally allowed to take to reject me ( a hidden message? :tongue: ).
Hello,

Last year, I achieved an A in A-Level Mathematics, A in AS Physics and an A in AS Electronics. I will be resitting C3 and C4 to get an A* in Mathematics.

I've chosen to apply to; Oxford Maths (A*A*A), Warwick Maths (A*A*A2), Warwick Discrete Maths (A*AA) and Nottingham Maths (A*AB).

The last spot is either York Maths (AAA) or Durham Maths (A*AA). My friends have suggested me to go with an AAA university, just as a backup choice. Obviously this is because I failed to achieve the A* in Mathematics first time round. I disagree, I know I am capable of achieving A*A*A*A* (if I continue with electronics).

My UMS is very poor though. I scored around 85% on average in Maths. If I score 100 UMS on both C3 and C4 resits (which I know I can do), it will take it to around 93%. In addition, my AS Physics UMS is 94% and AS Electronics is 82%.

I have heard that Durham ask for UMS scores. Is it worth applying to them, or will I be auto rejected due to <90% average? I don't want to 'waste' a spot on my application.

Edit: Just in case you guys don't read my sig. I'm studying Further Maths too :smile: I will complete the full A-Level this year.

I would recommend lancaster as its a lot better than York and they only require AAA! Its like 6th in the country after durham if you take into account all 3 main uni league tables! Durham would probably reject you not meaning to sound harsh but they probably would as there main focus is maths ums and well mine is 98% and i was there yesterday and he said average maths candidate thats given an offer is normally well into the 90's so i assume something like 92/93% you have to remember a lot of cambridge candidates also apply who have outrageous ums scores in maths! I would recommend lancaster and i honestly think not durham

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest