The Student Room Group

Reading & Leeds 2013

READING AND LEEDS 2013
DATE:Thursday 22-Sunday 25th August
TICKETS:£210.50 for a weekend tickets//£97 for a day ticket//£15 for early entry (Thursday)

Green Day are the third and final headliner for this year’s Reading & Leeds festivals, playing on the Friday (Reading/Saturday Leeds). The American pop punk band will be joined on the main stage by the mighty System Of A Down as well as compatriots Deftones, both on UK festival exclusives. Reading & Leeds favourite Frank Turner will also appear, as well as the already confirmed Sheffield band Bring Me The Horizon and New Found Glory (playing ‘Sticks and Stones’ in full).

Over on the NME/Radio 1 stage there will be a UK festival exclusive headline set from Skrillex, and he will be joined by A$AP Rocky, Major Lazer and Bastille, who scored a UK number 1 album with debut ‘Bad Blood’ this weekend. Brummies Peace & LA’s hottest new female duo Deap Vally are also booked to play.

The new Radio 1 dance stage will be headlined by Sub Focus (Live), whilst Wiley takes to the Radio 1Xtra stage.

On Saturday (Reading/Sunday Leeds), iconic rapper Eminem will deliver his only UK festival headline performance, following what will surely be an explosive set from UK drum and bass legends Chase and Status. The previously announced Foals will also appear on the main stage on Saturday, alongside UK festival exclusive performances from White Lies and Brand New. They will be joined by Twin Atlantic.

Alt-J will headline the NME/Radio 1 stage opposite Eminem, following on from Jake Bugg. NME’s ‘Album of the year’ winners Tame Impala, Las Vegas rockers Imagine Dragons, Johnny Marr, Palma Violets and Modestep will join them.

Skream, Benga and Artwork will headline the Radio 1 dance stage as Magnetic Man with their first performance at the festival since 2010. Devlin will headline the Radio 1Xtra stage.

Biffy Clyro will have the honours of closing Reading Festival (playing Friday at Leeds) after being crowned ‘Best British Band’ at the NME awards. But before them comes a huge return for the legendary Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor’s band, who have sold over 30 million records worldwide, will play their only UK shows at Reading & Leeds this year. Sunday will also see another exclusive return in the shape of Fall Out Boy, as well as sets from The Lumineers, Editors and Hadouken!

French indie band Phoenix will bring new album ‘Bankrupt!’ to the NME/Radio 1 stage that night, and will be joined by controversial rapper Azealia Banks, Disclosure, City and Colour on a UK festival exclusive, LA trio Haim and BRIT award nominee Alex Clare.

Australia duo Knife Party will close the Radio 1 dance stage.

Also appearing across the weekend are: Harlem Shake creator Baauer, The Blackout, Iggy Azalea, Mallory Knox, The Strypes, Swim Deep, Temples, The 1975, Theme Park, Tomahawk, and While She Sleeps.

Reading and Leeds festivals take place across the August Bank Holiday weekend from 23rd-25th August. Weekend tickets are available now for £210.50, with day tickets also on sale for £97
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If any of the days look something like this, I will be there.

Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Refused
Frank Turner
Skindred
Cage The Elephant
We Are The Ocean

:sogood:
Reply 2
Original post by Devel
If any of the days look something like this, I will be there.

Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Refused
Frank Turner
Skindred
Cage The Elephant
We Are The Ocean

:sogood:

That'd be pretty decent. If they headlined, I assume Pearl Jam would be the 'heavy' headliner, which would be a tad annoying as it means they'll probably be up against the dance headliner on the NME- which is always great. I'm hoping QOTSA turn up at some point too
Reply 3
Original post by YMLT
That'd be pretty decent. If they headlined, I assume Pearl Jam would be the 'heavy' headliner, which would be a tad annoying as it means they'll probably be up against the dance headliner on the NME- which is always great. I'm hoping QOTSA turn up at some point too

QOTSA playing festivals around the Download weekend, I can see them being more likely to sub/headline second there.

They could have Metallica headlining at Leeds/Reading again, they haven't played since 08 and they always seem to do a festival run.
Reply 4
As much as I'd love to have the Stone Roses play in my town, I seriously doubt they will ever ever play Reading, too much of a bad memory. Would love Mumford and the Killers though
Reply 5
I can't wait, it needs to get here sooner.
Leeds is the one.
My bet for the headliners is Mumford & Sons, Green Day and RHCP... but I really want to see Arctic Monkeys or The Stone Roses again.
Those good folks at eFestivals have suggested Blur and Black Sabbath this year, in my eyes quality bookings for the festival although I'm not really into Sabbath. Whack in a generic indie headliner (Mumford & Sons, The Killers, Biffy, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party) and you've got yourself a festival. My best guess is:

Black Sabbath
Biffy Clyro

The Prodigy
Bloc Party

Blur
Jack White
Reply 7
So Biffy have announced an arena tour for the beginning part of next year. Would think that puts the chances of them headlining at pretty much zero now...
Agreed. Would love to see them in the sub-headliner slot though.
Reply 9
Definitely, reckon they'd fit well under Sabbath, as you say.

Can't help but feel they'll stay away & come back to headline 2014 though. They'd be a shoe-in for that...
Reply 10
How did Biffy get so big?!
They covered that song from the X Factor
Reply 12
Slaughtered Joe Mcelderry. Shameful. Disgrace to music really...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
The Download festival booker has talked about the incorrect Pearl Jam leak for Download saying;

I have to address the PEARL JAM issue which was very embarrassing for everyone. The fact that one of sponsors ‘leaked’ that they were playing makes it even worse! Anyway, what I will say is that PEARL JAM were one of the bands I was speaking to about playing Download, amongst many many others, but the Download dates don’t fit with their touring schedule for 2013, so they couldn’t do it.

It could mean they are more likely for Leeds/Reading if their tour is closer to then, or it could mean nothing. :awesome:

Biffy are doing the best thing they can do right now, if they do stay away from festivals this year. If that tour sells well they will be able to headline most festivals in the country in 2014.

If Sabbath are booked it could mean they are going to try and compete more with Download/Sonisphere. It will be an amazing day for day tickets if they book a more heavier bands. Have more common R/L bands on NME and have the dance tent running that day and it could be amazing.
Original post by Devel
The Download festival booker has talked about the incorrect Pearl Jam leak for Download saying;

It could mean they are more likely for Leeds/Reading if their tour is closer to then, or it could mean nothing. :awesome:

Biffy are doing the best thing they can do right now, if they do stay away from festivals this year. If that tour sells well they will be able to headline most festivals in the country in 2014.

If Sabbath are booked it could mean they are going to try and compete more with Download/Sonisphere. It will be an amazing day for day tickets if they book a more heavier bands. Have more common R/L bands on NME and have the dance tent running that day and it could be amazing.

I don't see Pearl Jam being a massive seller to be honest.
Reply 15
Original post by St. Brynjar
I don't see Pearl Jam being a massive seller to be honest.

They could easily sell out an arena tour and the fact that Download were trying to get them, which had a reported average attendance per day of 105k this year shows they are regarded as one of the stronger headliners.

If they had Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam then something like Blur/Stone Roses, you would be well on your way to a complete sell out.
Reply 16
As much as I love Pearl Jam, I doubt they'd get a much bigger crowd than The Cure did this year unfortunately. Apparently their crowd was pretty small last time they played (2006?) and its becoming more and more of a younger festival.

Depeche Mode are the latest rumour. Got fests booked for Europe but none in the UK and Reading is the only real feasible date.

Blur aren't doing UK fests next year & I don't think Stone Roses will play.

My guess is:

Depeche Mode
XX

Killers
Mumford

Sabbath
QOTSA
Original post by Devel
They could easily sell out an arena tour and the fact that Download were trying to get them, which had a reported average attendance per day of 105k this year shows they are regarded as one of the stronger headliners.

If they had Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam then something like Blur/Stone Roses, you would be well on your way to a complete sell out.

I like PJ don't get me wrong, but the Download demographic is far more suited to their music. I think it'll have to be an either/or for Sabbath/Pearl Jam, with Blur and then someone more mainstream i.e Arctic Monkeys, The Prodigy, The Killers etc.
I like PJ don't get me wrong, but the Download demographic is far more suited to their music. I think it'll have to be an either/or for Sabbath/Pearl Jam, with Blur and then someone more mainstream i.e Arctic Monkeys, The Prodigy, The Killers etc.

I saw Pearl Jam at Isle of Wight Festival and that's a very family orientated festival but they KILLED it. :biggrin:

Was my first time going to Leeds this year, bloody loved it. Foo Fighters are awesome. :cool:
Reply 19

If they want to compete with Download/Sonisphere and they have Black Sabbath who are ideal, Pearl Jam who can headline any rock festival with strong general appeal and a big band perfect for R/L that would be the way to go.

Pearl Jam are a strong booking because of their fanbase. They have built up a community of fans around the world for years now so wherever they play you will get strong ticket sales.

Quick Reply

Latest