The Student Room Group

medbh goes to Oxford

....aka Donning the Slutfusc :pierre:

So I thought I should finally write a blog. I'm going to Lady Margaret Hall, to read Classics.

I'm feeling quite nervous about going, but I've got all my paperwork in order, and just waiting to hear back from the All Ireland Scholarships people. I know my room number, and where I'm staying. Doesn't quite reflect the images one gets when thinking of Oxford, but still quite pretty.

They've given me a room on the top floor however, which doesn't bode well for carrying luggage or returning from nights out :no:

I still have packing to do, as well as actually doing some of the work I was asked to do before coming up (although I have managed to reread half the Iliad so far, which is a start). I also failed my driving test today, which only adds to the general feeling of inadequacy.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated. Things will get more interesting once I arrive :sexface: (hopefully)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have fun!
Reply 2
Subscribed. :colone:
Have fun, Have confidence and Good Luck :smile:
Wow, the building looks lovely! Good luck with your studies at Oxford and LMH in particular, I'll definitely be keeping up with your, ur *fishes around for X-factor-worthy word*...journey :cool:
Reply 5
Hope you enjoy it and meet my daughter there as she will also be starting at LMH doing Biology on 1st October.(She is in Deneke)
Reply 6
Original post by medbh4805
....aka Donning the Slutfusc :pierre:

So I thought I should finally write a blog. I'm going to Lady Margaret Hall, to read Classics.

I'm feeling quite nervous about going, but I've got all my paperwork in order, and just waiting to hear back from the All Ireland Scholarships people. I know my room number, and where I'm staying. Doesn't quite reflect the images one gets when thinking of Oxford, but still quite pretty.

They've given me a room on the top floor however, which doesn't bode well for carrying luggage or returning from nights out :no:

I still have packing to do, as well as actually doing some of the work I was asked to do before coming up (although I have managed to reread half the Iliad so far, which is a start). I also failed my driving test today, which only adds to the general feeling of inadequacy.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated. Things will get more interesting once I arrive :sexface: (hopefully)

lady margaret hall has lifts :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by alt31
lady margaret hall has lifts :biggrin:

Not 100% sure, but I think my building doesn't. You may be better informed than me though, since I was only in LMH for UNIQ and my interview and neither time did I stay in Deneke West. :lol:
Not 100% sure, but I think my building doesn't. You may be better informed than me though, since I was only in LMH for UNIQ and my interview and neither time did I stay in Deneke West. :lol:

I hope it does have lifts for your sake! You'll love it when you arrive.
Reply 9
Original post by .snowflake.
I hope it does have lifts for your sake! You'll love it when you arrive.

thanks :biggrin: I see from your blog you've already finished Freshers' week, how was it? Did you do much partying? :colone:
Reply 10

ohhh ok, i was thinking of pipe partridge
oh well, good exercise ehh :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by alt31
ohhh ok, i was thinking of pipe partridge
oh well, good exercise ehh :tongue:

Were you on UNIQ as well? :p: I stayed at Pipe Partridge - it was lovely :daydreaming:
:party:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
Were you on UNIQ as well? :p: I stayed at Pipe Partridge - it was lovely :daydreaming:

no i did a revision course there, with cherwell. But yeah the accommodation is amazing!
thanks :biggrin: I see from your blog you've already finished Freshers' week, how was it? Did you do much partying? :colone:

First few days were a bit crap because i wasnt sleeping, and just couldn't find places for things. I haven't done much in the way of partying, but theres chemsoc pub crawl next week.
Reply 15
Finished working at the Charity shop today, going to try to get stuck into some work tonight. Hopefully I can get about 4 books of the Iliad read tonight, as well as making some progress with Lysias 19 and Plato's Crito :yep: I've been given quite a lot of grammar to review for both Latin and Greek (albeit mostly very basic stuff) as well as vocab lists, so I have a lot to try to get done this week. But with driving and other obligations wound up I feel like I can finally focus :colonhash:#

Also, job hunting sucks massively. Still unsure whether it's worth busting my ass trying to get a Christmas temp job, as it's unlikely anywhere will take me due to the dates I'm available, and I'll be on minimum wage...

I also ordered my Fresher's hoodie today :u: things are getting exciting...
Reply 16
One week until Fresher's! :shock:

Reply 17
Haven't been up to much today, other than working on Latin and Greek and such. I have discovered that there's a monthly goth night on in Oxford called Intrusion, so naturally I'm going to force as many people as possible to go to it with me :colone:

I'm also in two minds about my costume for the 'Round the World' themed bop on the Saturday night. Part of me really wants to do 'Northern Ireland' with para-esque gear, but I'm worried that it could offend some people. That said, the whole 'round the world' thing seems like a minefield of potential offensiveness anyway... what to do :beard: My mother found me an aran jumper, so I could just adopt a less incendiary Irish stereotype if it came to it :colonhash:
Reply 18
Haven't been up to much today, other than working on Latin and Greek and such. I have discovered that there's a monthly goth night on in Oxford called Intrusion, so naturally I'm going to force as many people as possible to go to it with me :colone:

I think I nearly went to that by accident once, my friend thought there was free entry at some club, but it turned out to be their goth night. We relocated to more mainstream climes. :p:
Reply 19
Original post by dbmag9
I think I nearly went to that by accident once, my friend thought there was free entry at some club, but it turned out to be their goth night. We relocated to more mainstream climes. :p:

It looks awesome! I've never managed to go goth clubbing before (we have rock/alt nights here but none which are specifically goth)...I can't pass up the opportunity now it's available :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending