The Student Room Group

OCR AS Biology (F211) - Jan 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imthe12
Thanks for your clear explanation, could you list all the conversion units , mm, mm etc.e.g u said x1000,000 for Nm.

Find attached a conversion table:
Original post by imthe12
Thanks for your clear explanation, could you list all the conversion units , mm, mm etc.e.g u said x1000,000 for Nm.

Here's a full table:

You don't need to know most of these, the important ones are nano, micro, milli and centi for Biology.
Original post by imthe12
Thanks , what does micro milli and centi need to be multiplied by then?

Metres is the standard unit, and that's what the table is based on.

If you have 10 mm, then that's 10-3 metres.
Original post by imthe12
Thanks , what does micro milli and centi need to be multiplied by then?

Here are the most common calculations you'll need to do.

To go from mm to μm you multiply by 1000
To go from mm to nm you multiply by 1000000
To go from μm to nm you multiply by 1000

To do the reverse conversions, just divide instead of multiply.
Reply 384
ask me a biology question ?
is anyone here doing f212 in jan
Reply 386
Original post by Priya_Biju
I just got the 2012 june F211 from my teacher. Anyone want it? Am i allowed to post it? Well, I desperately needed it, so I am sure other people need it too.
Please let me know if I have to take it off before u give me a warning or negative rating.

Is there a mark scheme available for this paper at all please?

Thanks
What is an organ system??
Reply 388
Original post by the A* guy
What is an organ system??

A group of organs working together to perform a particular function e.g. the digestive system, the respiratory system, the circulatory system.
Original post by rachhhhhh
A group of organs working together to perform a particular function e.g. the digestive system, the respiratory system, the circulatory system.

Thank you :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 390
To anyone: explain why a cell surface membrane is impermeable to most biology molecules? (4 marks)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Can someone please explain to me why the curve for fetal haemoglobin is more to the left?
Original post by yousifalwandi
Can someone please explain to me why the curve for fetal haemoglobin is more to the left?

Fetal haemoglobin has a higher affinity for oxygen than of adult haemoglobin therefore Fetal haemoglobin is able to pick up oxygen at a lower partial pressure than of adult haemoglobin. This makes the Fetal haemoglobin curve on the graph to the left of Adult haemoglobin as it is able to pick up more oxygen at a lower partial pressure. (partial pressure is on the Y-axis)

Hope this Helps :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 393
predictions?!?!
Reply 394
Original post by amyAcurran
roles of components in membranes?..

I really hope so, they'res so much you can say xD

Original post by theworld
What does everyone think the 5 mark question is gonna be on?!

I reckon it'll either be on sources and sinks, Haemoglobin and CO2 or possibly the role of division of labour.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi does anyone have a definition list for this unit? :smile: and in the exam if you bullet point your answers will you lose marks (on the 5 marks q's)
Could anyone please explain how sucrose is loaded at the source and unloaded at the sink?

I get the loading part which i think is:

* The companion cells use atp to actively pump H+ ions out of their cytoplasm. This creates a hydrogen ion concentration gradient.

* Co-transporter ions move sucrose and H+ ions back into the companion cells by facilitated diffusion.

* This leads to sucrose building up in the companion cells causing it to move out of the companion cells into the sieve tube through the plasmodesmata.

So what happens after this?

Any help much appreciated!
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
Could anyone please explain how sucrose is loaded at the source and unloaded at the sink?

I get the loading part which i think is:

* The companion cells use atp to actively pump H+ ions out of their cytoplasm. This creates a hydrogen ion concentration gradient.

* Co-transporter ions move sucrose and H+ ions back into the companion cells by facilitated diffusion.

* This leads to sucrose building up in the companion cells causing it to move out of the companion cells into the sieve tube through the plasmodesmata.

So what happens after this?

Any help much appreciated!

Water moves into the sieve tube due to the sieve tube having a lower water potential. This increases hydrostatic pressure at source.

At the sink sucrose is removed from the sieve tube by diffusion or facilitated diffusion. This increases water potential of the sieve tube so water moves out decreasing hydrostatic pressure.

Sucrose moves from source to sink due to hydrostatic pressure gradient.
Reply 398
Please can someone explain to me the Haemoglobin and CO2 thing? I don't understand it at all!

Thanks
Reply 399
Original post by rachhhhhh
Please can someone explain to me the Haemoglobin and CO2 thing? I don't understand it at all!

Thanks

CO2 diffuses into blood, some enters RBC, combines with water to form carbonic acid. Catalysed by enzyme carbonic anhydrase.
CO2 + H20 -> H2CO3
. Dissociates to form hydrogen ions and hydrogencarbonate ions
H2CO3 -> HCO3- + H+
. Hydrogencarbonate ions move out and chloride moves in to balance the charge = chloride shift.
. Hydrogen ions displace the oxygen to release oxygen and also prevent the RBC from becoming acidic.

. More CO2 present, more displacement of oxygen by hydrogen ions (product of dissociation of H2CO3 when carbon dioxide mixes with water) so more oxygen released.
. So more CO2 present, haemoglobin is less saturated with oxygen.
. Makes oxyhaemoglobin dissociation curve shift downwards and to the right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending