The Student Room Group

What happens if you slow down in 1st gear and don't push the clutch?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by InnerTemple
My car can and it is a petrol.

yeah any car can on the downhill or flat as long as you release the clutch slowly
Original post by The Toch
I get that a car can carry on slowly in 1st if you don't press the gas or brake, as everyone has been saying here. But can any car actually move off from a stationary stop by simply lifting or feathering the clutch without any gas being applied at all? Or is that only diesels that can move off from 0mph without gas.

Yes - my two 1.1s I have been able to, but it requires excellent clutch control (and good knowledge of the clutch on that car).
Reply 42
OP is not talking about stopping. They are just asking what would happen if you came off the gas while in first and just let the car move with no peddle input. The answer is that the car would slow down and then just crawl along.

The only time the car should stall would be where something stopped it from moving forward while the clutch is engaged. Such as braking or a hill (a hill would mean that more power than is produced at engine idle is needed to keep the car moving).

It is quite easy to try yourself - in fact, remembering this thread I did so today in a car park. Engage first and bring the clutch up slowly, the car will roll forward. Keep bringing the clutch up until you can take your foot off - the car will carry on moving with no peddle input. Add some gas but stay in first, then slowly reduce gas and take your foot off the accelerator - the car will slow and keep rolling.

As I said in an earlier post, controlling the clutch and not using the accelerator is useful in slow moving queues.

I don't get the question then. To me, the question seemed to be that if you took off the gas, and so you had no pedal input, including clutch; The car would slow down to around 5mph from the speed it was at, start to jump, and stall. Of course it would.
I'm not talking about if the car is at speed, and you've took all feet off the pedals from gettting it to speed from clutch control alone as that would work!!!

If there is no pedal input at all, the car will eventually stall if the car gets slow enough.

If you go past the biting point in my car at least (from lifting foot up too much) and don't apply gas, the car stalls, as it would if it was going too slow. You need to apply a bit of gas, or hold the clutch pedal so its always at biting point (for instance when parking) to keep it going.

If you do apply gas after it reaches biting point, of course the car will continue to roll... and you can keep it at biting point for moving in traffic, but completely lifting your foot would stall it.

There is physically nothing wrong with my car either engine wise.
The only way this would work, and for it not to stall, would be for me to power up, slow down, put it into first as I'm approaching light, and then put it into neutral, and it will then roll with no issues and stop as its not in gear.
But if first is engaged, the car will effectively stall without the clutch pedal in if going too slow.

You can however start a car off in first with just the clutch as you said, but you do need to apply the gas before you have totally lifted your foot off otherwise, again, it will stall if going too slow.

I will even film it tonight if you want in my Micra, and if it does in fact work, and I can slowly lift the clutch up for it to start rolling forward, and then completley lift off and it won't stall after its reached around 1mph with no clutch in, I will be amazed, and will post my results. I will not touch the accelerator at all.
I will use just the clutch to get it moving, and it will start to move, build a bit of speed. I will then let the clutch off. The car will then start to slow down from the speed it is at (around 8mph maybe), slow down to around 5mph, and start to jolt. The car will then again as I've said, stall, unless you then apply the clutch once again.

*READ AND WATCH MY CONCLUSION AT THE END OF THIS PAGE. I PROVE MYSELF WRONG*
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kage
I don't get the question then. To me, the question seemed to be that if you took off the gas, and so you had no pedal input, including clutch; The car would slow down to around 5mph from the speed it was at, start to jump, and stall. Of course it would.
I'm not talking about if the car is at speed, and you've took all feet off the pedals from gettting it to speed from clutch control alone as that would work!!!

If there is no pedal input at all, the car will eventually stall if the car gets slow enough.

If you go past the biting point in my car at least (from lifting foot up too much) and don't apply gas, the car stalls, as it would if it was going too slow. You need to apply a bit of gas, or hold the clutch pedal so its always at biting point (for instance when parking) to keep it going.

If you do apply gas after it reaches biting point, of course the car will continue to roll... and you can keep it at biting point for moving in traffic, but completely lifting your foot would stall it.

There is physically nothing wrong with my car either engine wise.
The only way this would work, and for it not to stall, would be for me to power up, slow down, put it into first as I'm approaching light, and then put it into neutral, and it will then roll with no issues and stop as its not in gear.
But if first is engaged, the car will effectively stall without the clutch pedal in if going too slow.

You can however start a car off in first with just the clutch as you said, but you do need to apply the gas before you have totally lifted your foot off otherwise, again, it will stall if going too slow.

I will even film it tonight if you want in my Micra, and if it does in fact work, and I can slowly lift the clutch up for it to start rolling forward, and then completley lift off and it won't stall after its reached around 1mph with no clutch in, I will be amazed, and will post my results. I will not touch the accelerator at all.
I will use just the clutch to get it moving, and it will start to move, build a bit of speed. I will then let the clutch off. The car will then start to slow down from the speed it is at (around 8mph maybe), slow down to around 5mph, and start to jolt. The car will then again as I've said, stall, unless you then apply the clutch once again.

Simply, no. If your car stalls when trying to start from clutch alone, you are either on a hill, or have not good enough clutch control. Your car will only stall in first if already moving if going up a steep hill.
Reply 44
Original post by rmhumphries
Simply, no. If your car stalls when trying to start from clutch alone, you are either on a hill, or have not good enough clutch control. Your car will only stall in first if already moving if going up a steep hill.

"I know when it gets very slow it pulls forward, but i've always pushed the clutch in as soon as I feel that so I don't know what would happen.

Does it keep pulling forward or does it just stall and jolt to a stop? "

That is what the original poster said, and it is what happens.

I'll post a video now actually. I am going to record.

I can use the clutch to start the car going, but I can not lift my foot 100% off the clutch when it is going too slow. The car starts to jolt, and you can hear it, and with no more input, the car will do one final jolt, and cut out.

I'll be back in around 30 minutes with the video. I'm interested to know if this is true, or if I've just missed what it being said completely.

I know you can control the car 100% with the clutch, but if you are going very slow with no pedals in, the car stalls when in first, and not in neutral.

You can however then put the clutch back in, and control the car as you were, but you cannot let the car slow down to 0mph in first, without touching the clutch again, if you expect to start off again, and not have to start the engine.

Anyway, back in 30.

*READ MY LATEST POST DOWN BELOW, WHERE I INFACT PROVE MYSELF WRONG... IF YOU BREAKED HOWEVER WITH NO CLUTCH CONTROL, AND REACHED 0MPH, THE CAR WOULD STALL I'M SURE BUT I'M NOT GOING TO TEST THAT, ESPECIALLY FILMING*
(edited 11 years ago)
you die
Original post by Kage
I don't get the question then. To me, the question seemed to be that if you took off the gas, and so you had no pedal input, including clutch...

Yes, that is the scenario that the OP is talking about.

I will even film it tonight if you want in my Micra.

If you want to, but don't go out of your way.

As I said, if your bring the clutch up slowly enough, the car will start to move. Keep bringing the clutch all the way up and take your foot off... the vehicle will keep crawling along.
you stall... i.e. the engine cuts out beacuse it isn't receiving enough revs.
Reply 48
Original post by The Toch
I get that a car can carry on slowly in 1st if you don't press the gas or brake, as everyone has been saying here. But can any car actually move off from a stationary stop by simply lifting or feathering the clutch without any gas being applied at all? Or is that only diesels that can move off from 0mph without gas.

Rich can do it.
Reply 49
It will shudder then start stalling. Only got experience of petrol cars.
Reply 50
You'd roll forward as the speed fell and then eventually jolt and stall.
Reply 51
I have proof that in fact everyone that is saying it won't stall is correct. I have been proven wrong, and I am fine with that. I have learned something new from this I didn't know.
At least I did the scientific thing and test it.
It will probably only stall if on a hill, but it actually stays going at a constant speed if on a flat surface. I couldn't get it going more than 6mph with just clutch alone, but if I then let go, the car stayed going at that speed and didn't slow. The car still slightly jolts, but not as much as I thought, and it certainly never stalls, but surprisingly, it doesn't slow EITHER!

Look (and ignore my voice.. I hate it. Mancunian, ha...) You can tell in my voice, I'm shocked by it though.

Its uploading now, so I will update this post when it is done to show what I have learned.
I'm actually rather shocked... At least I'm not that bad at car control.

I knew I could get it started without gas, but haven't tried 100% lifting my foot off. In traffic it has stalled, as I've probably slowed down using the break too much and never applied the clutch at really really slow speeds. Mistake that :tongue:
Albeit, I shouldn't have been going at any speed, whilst filming but it was a road with no other moving cars, so I'm not mad enough to film on a busy street.

If you do start to use the break for example whilst in traffic, and do reach around 4-3-2 mph or so with the break and then let go of all pedals, I would be surprised if it still continued to roll and not jolt violently and stall as I have stalled the car in this way in the past, which is why I was getting confused. That I'm not willing to test... especially with a camera rolling. But if at a high enough speed, it won't stall, no, as this is where I think my thought process was coming from.
If you used the break though, and slowed to 0mph without any other pedals in, the car would then certainly stall.

But I will show this video to prove it once and for all, and I'm sorry I was defending a false point. I honestly did not know the car would do this, but at least the video will explain.

Again, ignore my voice.

That is something I never expected, that the car would continue at a constant pace, but it does!

EDIT:

Here it is. I'm sorry for holding the camera the wrong way at first too, but I was concentrating driving:

[video="youtube;OJ28kado0Yk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ28kado0Yk[/video]

Yay to my 9 year old Micra having such a low mileage too :tongue:

Doing this recording, may actually start me recording some journeys using the holder I have on my dash. I'll just have to cut a hole in it to let the camera see out. That way I can go somewhere (my memory is terrrible) and learn it without having to get lost again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kage
Doing this recording, may actually start me recording some journeys using the holder I have on my dash. I'll just have to cut a hole in it to let the camera see out. That way I can go somewhere (my memory is terrrible) and learn it without having to get lost again.

Incredibly useful for improving on your driving too - no matter how good a driver you consider yourself to be, there is always room for development.

Often, when watching a drive back, you will notice things that you could do better. Additionally, if you had a tricky situation on a journey, you can re watch it to assess how you handled it.
Reply 53
Incredibly useful for improving on your driving too - no matter how good a driver you consider yourself to be, there is always room for development.

Often, when watching a drive back, you will notice things that you could do better. Additionally, if you had a tricky situation on a journey, you can re watch it to assess how you handled it.

Yeah it may prove useful. I'm sorry for explaining something I thought I knew, and being wrong anyway. I was thinking I think more in terms of if using the break in traffic. I never expected it would continue to roll with no input though.

The video has been uploaded. It should be viewable now. Sorry about my voice, and the constant erms... I didn't even realise I was doing that
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Kage
I have proof that in fact everyone that is saying it won't stall is correct. I have been proven wrong, and I am fine with that. I have learned something new from this I didn't know.
It will probably only stall if on a hill, but it actually stays going at a constant speed if on a flat surface. I couldn't get it going more than 6mph with just clutch alone, but if I then let go, the car stayed going at that speed and didn't slow. The car still slightly jolts, but not as much as I thought, and it certainly never stalls, but surprisingly, it doesn't slow EITHER!

Look (and ignore my voice.. I hate it. Mancunian, ha...) You can tell in my voice, I'm shocked by it though.

Its uploading now, so I will update this post when it is done to show what I have learned.

I knew I could get it started without gas, but haven't tried 100% lifting my foot off. In traffic it has stalled, as I've probably slowed down using the break too much and never applied the clutch at really really slow speeds. Mistake that :tongue:
Albeit, I shouldn't have been going at any speed, whilst filming but it was a road with no other moving cars, so I'm not mad enough to film on a busy street.

If you do start to use the break for example whilst in traffic, and do reach around 4-3-2 mph or so with the break and then let go of all pedals, I would be surprised if it still continued to roll and not jolt violently and stall as I have stalled the car in this way in the past, which is why I was getting confused. That I'm not willing to test... especially with a camera rolling. But if at a high enough speed, it won't stall, no, as this is where I think my thought process was coming from.
If you used the break though, and slowed to 0mph without any other pedals in, the car would then certainly stall.

But I will show this video to prove it once and for all, and I'm sorry I was defending a false point. I honestly did not know the car would do this, but at least the video will explain.

Again, ignore my voice.

That is something I never expected, that the car would continue at a constant pace, but it does!

EDIT:

50% Youtube

It's dead simple (and obvious) if you understand a little about how an ECU works in a modern car (later than early/mid 90s, maybe a little earlier). The ECU monitors the engine's speed and attempts to maintain a preset speed, normally about 850 rpm. If it drops below that level it will open the idle control valve which allows some air to bypass the throttle butterfly, similar to opening the throttle. If it gets too high, it closes the idle control valve. It doesn't know whether the car's in gear or not, it just tries to maintain that speed. If there's too much load on the engine or the load comes on too fast (e.g. dumping the clutch) the system can't cope and the engine will stall. If you're on a level road then there's no reason the ECU can't maintain a constant engine speed and therefore a constant road speed.
Engines which don't have an ECU might use a governor or other systems at idle.
Original post by Kage
Yeah it may prove useful. I'm sorry for explaining something I thought I knew, and being wrong anyway.

Don't be silly! There is no need to be sorry.
I've never given it the chance to see what happens because as soon as any juddering starts I put the clutch down, always assumed it would stall.
Reply 57
Original post by snozzle
Think about it, at idle the engine is generating just enough torque to overcome its internal friction and maintain rpm. Where does the extra torque come from to move the car? You'd need to suck in more air without opening the throttle more.

The only way I think it's possible is in a petrol car the ECU has a lot of room to get more air in to prevent stall by either opening the throttle by drive by wire, or by opening the idle control valve to suck more air in.

In a diesel the ECU might be able to inject more fuel to prevent stall if it has the capability.

Withourt 'cheating' it's just not possible though.

A fuel injection engine will not stall on driving around in idle.

I can go up hills on just the idle in my 1 litre Nissan Micra. You can even move through the gears increasing the speed you're moving at. You can do this up to 4th. 5th starts to judder.
I tested this in a traffic jam this morning... you keep going.
Reply 59
Original post by Kage

Again, ignore my voice.

EDIT:

Here it is. I'm sorry for holding the camera the wrong way at first too, but I was concentrating driving:

[video="youtube;OJ28kado0Yk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ28kado0Yk[/video]

Yay to my 9 year old Micra having such a low mileage too :tongue:

You can actually work you way up to 4th and it gets up to about 15ish MPH. My Micra gets a bit shakey if I try doing this up to 5th.
You can pull up hills on just the clutch as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending