The Student Room Group

Is it true that any manual diesel car can be moved off using only the clutch?

I have only be taught to move off on a manual car using the clutch only and then applying gas, I have read that all manual cars can be moved using only the clutch pedal without stalling but is it true? thanks in advance
It will depend on incline/weight but yeah diesel cars can move off with only the clutch if you are careful, but it's not good practice. I can't remember quite why but diesel engines will automatically try to keep a higher RPM and avoid the stall.

It can sometimes be done in a petrol car if you are v careful on the clutch, but wouldn't say all cars.
(edited 12 months ago)
Not sure. I do this accidentally all the time and stall every single time, but I'm sure this is just due to my poor skill level
Reply 3
You can with petrol cars too but it's harder on hill starts
Diesel engines are much more forgiving than petrol engines when moving off, but generally you should always be using the gas pedal as well as the clutch. Just using the clutch means that you will be off to a slow start, and if you're moving off at a junction this could mean that you're getting in the way of other drivers. As someone else said - not good practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending