The Student Room Group

automatic driving need opinions

hi guys,
at the moment i do manual and can drive okay but i am a slow learner and im 19 now so i really want to do automatic instead and just get my license.
i have been driving in the manual alright but im trying to now save money as i have spent a lot on a lot of lessons.
if i do automatic , should i just buy my own car and practice in that (in an automatic car)???
how easy is it compared to the manual? i can’t find any automatic driving instructors in my area. i also dislike my current manual driving instructor as he is really weird i also sometimes don’t get my full lesson and it’s not worth the money.
if i was to learn in my own car (when i get one), how do you book your driving test???
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Its difficult enough to buy cars as it is. Getting an automatic licence will only further restrict the cars you can buy. Realistically, I've not heard of anyone with an auto licence get a manual licence in a relatively short timespan. Lots of people intend to, but never do. It might also affect where you can work.
Reply 3
Original post by Trinculo
Its difficult enough to buy cars as it is. Getting an automatic licence will only further restrict the cars you can buy. Realistically, I've not heard of anyone with an auto licence get a manual licence in a relatively short timespan. Lots of people intend to, but never do. It might also affect where you can work.

i was thinking i could learn manual in the future if i really need to. my mum has an automatic car but has a manual license and she said she now prefers automatic cars… i really do think i’ll do better driving in an automatic and working isnt an issue as i’m thinking about starting up my own business which needs a vehicle asap. are there not a lot of cars that are automatic? i don’t mind the cost either
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
i was thinking i could learn manual in the future if i really need to. my mum has an automatic car but has a manual license and she said she now prefers automatic cars… i really do think i’ll do better driving in an automatic and working isnt an issue as i’m thinking about starting up my own business which needs a vehicle asap. are there not a lot of cars that are automatic? i don’t mind the cost either

I think that an automatic licence is just really limiting. What kind of business were you thinking of setting up, because trying to lease a particular automatic might not be that easy, and should something happen like a breakdown or extended repairs, you can't guarantee that you will be able to get an automatic courtesy car. Your mother's situation is the opposite to yours. She has the option to drive either or buy either, whereas you would only be able to use one.
Reply 5
I think that an automatic licence is just really limiting. What kind of business were you thinking of setting up, because trying to lease a particular automatic might not be that easy, and should something happen like a breakdown or extended repairs, you can't guarantee that you will be able to get an automatic courtesy car. Your mother's situation is the opposite to yours. She has the option to drive either or buy either, whereas you would only be able to use one.

i will consider that and perhaps stick with my manual lessons. it’s just really stressful and taking instructions all at once is hard for me due to my autism and adhd but i will just have to get past it and if it takes a long time then it does. i’ll just have to do some research and see. i am thinking about starting a dog walking business. thank you for your help. automatic is very limiting you’re right and if i get a manual license i can just get an auto if thats available.
Reply 6
i will consider that and perhaps stick with my manual lessons. it’s just really stressful and taking instructions all at once is hard for me due to my autism and adhd but i will just have to get past it and if it takes a long time then it does. i’ll just have to do some research and see. i am thinking about starting a dog walking business. thank you for your help. automatic is very limiting you’re right and if i get a manual license i can just get an auto if thats available.

Ok, well good luck to you. Just bear in mind that there are no barriers to entry on that particular industry and that some councils are starting to put in restrictions on how many dogs you can walk in public spaces.
not disagreeing that a manual licence is useful, I would keep at it myself and have encourage my children to do so

- but hybrids and electrics are becoming more normal every day and they drive like autos, manual cars will decline in your lifetime
Reply 8
Ok, well good luck to you. Just bear in mind that there are no barriers to entry on that particular industry and that some councils are starting to put in restrictions on how many dogs you can walk in public spaces.

thank you so much :smile:

Original post by ChiefBrody
not disagreeing that a manual licence is useful, I would keep at it myself and have encourage my children to do so

- but hybrids and electrics are becoming more normal every day and they drive like autos, manual cars will decline in your lifetime

ahh, so do you recommend doing it or just sticking with manual? if they’re going to decline, auto may be better but not sure if it’s worth it for at the moment. what do you think
thank you so much :smile:

ahh, so do you recommend doing it or just sticking with manual? if they’re going to decline, auto may be better but not sure if it’s worth it for at the moment. what do you think

As somebody who is currently learning manual, from my inexperienced opinion, I would suggest continuing with manual unless it is likely to put you off driving totally. I also used to find manual difficult (and have made the comment that I see why they made automatic cars), but the more lessons I do, the easier it gets and changing gears and using the clutch is now pretty easy.

It depends on how long you have been driving manual and whether you feel any more comfortable than when you have started. If that is the case, it would benefit you to be able to drive automatic, as you will likely have a much easier time and be more confident, and you will still be able to drive, albeit a limited range of cars.

Hope this is helpful :smile:
hi guys,
at the moment i do manual and can drive okay but i am a slow learner and im 19 now so i really want to do automatic instead and just get my license.
i have been driving in the manual alright but im trying to now save money as i have spent a lot on a lot of lessons.
if i do automatic , should i just buy my own car and practice in that (in an automatic car)???
how easy is it compared to the manual? i can’t find any automatic driving instructors in my area. i also dislike my current manual driving instructor as he is really weird i also sometimes don’t get my full lesson and it’s not worth the money.
if i was to learn in my own car (when i get one), how do you book your driving test???

if you dont get a full lesson, he is scamming you. either tell him yourself that you paid for more than you are getting, or ask someone to tell him. if you're unhappy with your instructor, I'm sure there will be another one. if there's no automatic driver instructors in your area, you will probably pay more if you were to get someone from further away, as well as maybe be put on a waiting list for a while until their slots open. manual and automatic driving lessons would end up probably both becoming the same price and taking the same time because of this. try practicing in your mum's car to get used to actually driving, so you only have gears/clutch to practice during your lessons- you would probably get better a lot quicker and save money on lessons :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Dragonfly28
As somebody who is currently learning manual, from my inexperienced opinion, I would suggest continuing with manual unless it is likely to put you off driving totally. I also used to find manual difficult (and have made the comment that I see why they made automatic cars), but the more lessons I do, the easier it gets and changing gears and using the clutch is now pretty easy.

It depends on how long you have been driving manual and whether you feel any more comfortable than when you have started. If that is the case, it would benefit you to be able to drive automatic, as you will likely have a much easier time and be more confident, and you will still be able to drive, albeit a limited range of cars.

Hope this is helpful :smile:

it is a tough decision, it really is. i do know the clutch and gears all well , it’s just i can’t manage to learn quickly in terms of listening to instructions and driving at the same time and i think that automatic will make it easier for me as i dont need to concentrate on a lot compared to manual. my driver instructor asked if i had an illness because of my lack of listening to instructions which i cannot help.
he is a very patient instructor apart from that question that kind of made me feel down about it all and hes really weird . my mum has contacted this automatic driving instructor who was on maternity leave so i couldn’t have her and went for manual instead as there was no other auto instructors as i live in the middle of nowhere. but now its been a while and so my mum has messaged her to see if shes back to work.
i have had two different manual instructors (first was from november until april) and then i stopped as he was almost making me cry all the time as he was horrible and didn’t teach me much at all! we just stayed in one area of a town and didn’t drive anywhere so that was a waste.
this instructor is better in terms of driving different places and learning more but hes weird so my mum wants me to get another one - my sister agrees as she has him too and her bestfriend left and got a new instructor too.
ive been driving with him since July and he always says i learn slowly and i should be better by now.
i’d rather just get a license at this point, even if it means automatic i just want to drive but im not sure if its a good idea.
i think it’s good for me mentally tbh but im not so sure.
thanks for your advice:smile:
Reply 12
hi guys,

I’m currently doing automatic lessons so that I can get my license quicker and I think I am making a lot of progress quickly- that I wouldn’t have if I did manual.

Personally I don’t see a time when I would need to drive a manual car and with the way the world is going fewer and fewer manual cars are in production and soon most cars sold will be automatic.

However I would still recommend at least a few auto lessons but since there aren’t any instructors near you idk what you would do about that.

Also automatic cars are more expensive to buy than manual.

I just think you should weigh up the pros and cons and see which one has more/less and make your decision from there.
Reply 13
if you dont get a full lesson, he is scamming you. either tell him yourself that you paid for more than you are getting, or ask someone to tell him. if you're unhappy with your instructor, I'm sure there will be another one. if there's no automatic driver instructors in your area, you will probably pay more if you were to get someone from further away, as well as maybe be put on a waiting list for a while until their slots open. manual and automatic driving lessons would end up probably both becoming the same price and taking the same time because of this. try practicing in your mum's car to get used to actually driving, so you only have gears/clutch to practice during your lessons- you would probably get better a lot quicker and save money on lessons :smile:

yes it’s £50 it’s ridiculous!! my mum is going to complain thankfully! there’s one auto instructor who was on maternity leave a while back, so my mum has popped a message to see it shes back but that’s the only one around my area. i could look further and see if i could pay more . hopefully my mum lets me as it’s a big car with seven seats (a sharan volkswagen) 😂 but hopefully i can!! :smile: thanks so much
Reply 14
Original post by mercinda
I’m currently doing automatic lessons so that I can get my license quicker and I think I am making a lot of progress quickly- that I wouldn’t have if I did manual.

Personally I don’t see a time when I would need to drive a manual car and with the way the world is going fewer and fewer manual cars are in production and soon most cars sold will be automatic.

However I would still recommend at least a few auto lessons but since there aren’t any instructors near you idk what you would do about that.

Also automatic cars are more expensive to buy than manual.

I just think you should weigh up the pros and cons and see which one has more/less and make your decision from there.

that's really good that it's quicker to learn:smile:

that's right, there will be less manual cars soon so there will be more automatic so it's good for the long run.

there is a lady who went on maternity who i was going to have that done auto lessons but now it's been a while so my mum has popped her a message and see if shes working now.

there's a lot of pros for me but the con is the expense and fewer cars for the time being but there's always cons to everything and i think the pros outweigh the cons. thank you for your advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending