The Student Room Group

manual or automatic?

hey guys. i’ve been learning to drive in a manual for a couple months now, one 2 hour lesson per week.

i’m a pretty anxious person and driving does not help. i make mistakes all the time and i know that’s normal for a learner, but i’m on my 8th lesson and still struggle with pulling away, gear changes, etc. it’s like my brain doesn’t coordinate with my body and i find it so difficult needing to concentrate on the road AND what my hands and feet are doing.

i bought an old car for £1900 near the start of my lessons so i could get some extra practice in, but i mess up regardless of who is in the car with me. my parents have an automatic and i’ve been considering getting lessons, but i’m 18 and don’t have much money saved after buying the car, and i’m afraid i’ll make a loss if i try to sell it.

would it be worth switching to automatic lessons? i just want to get on the road. thanks.
Original post by m0on4ge_d4ydreAm
hey guys. i’ve been learning to drive in a manual for a couple months now, one 2 hour lesson per week.

i’m a pretty anxious person and driving does not help. i make mistakes all the time and i know that’s normal for a learner, but i’m on my 8th lesson and still struggle with pulling away, gear changes, etc. it’s like my brain doesn’t coordinate with my body and i find it so difficult needing to concentrate on the road AND what my hands and feet are doing.

i bought an old car for £1900 near the start of my lessons so i could get some extra practice in, but i mess up regardless of who is in the car with me. my parents have an automatic and i’ve been considering getting lessons, but i’m 18 and don’t have much money saved after buying the car, and i’m afraid i’ll make a loss if i try to sell it.

would it be worth switching to automatic lessons? i just want to get on the road. thanks.

If you get a license for an automatic car, you can only drive an automatic. With a manual licence, you can drive both manual and automatic.

Your nerves are very likely one of the leading factors to why you're mesing up. To drive well, you need to remain calm.

Yeah, multitasking and coordination are not easy to pick up since we're not naturally atune to having such skills (according to the science, I think). It's something that you would need to train yourself into doing. I mean you can practice the motions sitting in your car without it being turned on.

Whilst it's generally said that it's significantly easier to get an automatic license, you would only be able to drive automatic cars. The only advantage you get is that you don't need to worry about changing gears and clutch control (you still need to be able to do everything else). If getting on the road as soon as you can is a priority, then by all means do the test for an automatic. On the other hand, if you're planning long term and don't want the hassle of switching between one license and another, then stick with the manual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending