The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

What are the chances of getting an offer of accommodation...

If you live within commuting distance? I fell in love with the course structure for Glasgow, and now I'm really finding it hard to think of anywhere else I'd want to go. But I also need to get out of the house I stay in for a few reasons. Them being my household really effects me when I try to study (I share a room with 3 little brothers, its can be really difficult) and it's a hassle to get in and out of the university from where I live (I'm a 30 minute walk between 2 train stations, and the bus is a good hour and a bit journey). Ultimately if I'm not able to live away I likely wouldn't be able to go to the university, as its a major deal breaker. So I was wondering if anybody else has gotten an offer of accommodation while living in commutable distance from the university, or if they know what the chances of an offer would be?

(I also read that holders of unconditional offers can get preference, I don't know, nor think that it's true but I was told by admissions staff that if I got an offer it would be a unconditional, in case its useful)

Edit: Also I know I can rent privately, which I may do in a dire solution, but I'd prefer University owned accommodation, for the social scene of things, at least for first year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TheFOMaster
X

I know quite a few people that got into university accommodation despite living within commutable distance. The fact is though that there's only a guarantee if you live outside it, so can't go by anything more than anecdotal evidence.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Norton1
I know quite a few people that got into university accommodation despite living within commutable distance. The fact is though that there's only a guarantee if you live outside it, so can't go by anything more than anecdotal evidence.

I got a reply from the accommodation office saying that accommodation was guaranteed for all first year students. So, I'm a little less worried about it :smile: Thanks though :smile:
Reply 3
I got a reply from the accommodation office saying that accommodation was guaranteed for all first year students. So, I'm a little less worried about it :smile: Thanks though :smile:

Changed since my day...although I think it's a change I theoretically knew about. Either way, panic over.

Is that really true!? I live about 25 miles away from Glasgow and it says on the website that they don't give accommodation to those who live within commuting distance. And I know I'm too close for accommodation at Strathclyde. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by TheAdequateGatsby
Is that really true!? I live about 25 miles away from Glasgow and it says on the website that they don't give accommodation to those who live within commuting distance. And I know I'm too close for accommodation at Strathclyde. :frown:

Yeah, the accommodation office said so. I doubt those living close will get an instant offer, and perhaps not your first choice. I'm going to email them again if I get an offer regardless.
Yeah, the accommodation office said so. I doubt those living close will get an instant offer, and perhaps not your first choice. I'm going to email them again if I get an offer regardless.

Awesome. In the most un-stalkerish way possible, do you live closer or further away than 25 miles? :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by TheAdequateGatsby
Awesome. In the most un-stalkerish way possible, do you live closer or further away than 25 miles? :wink:

Alot closer, I live 11 miles away from the University.
Alot closer, I live 11 miles away from the University.

Oh okay, cheers for that. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending