The Student Room Group

Uni life

How to start getting ready for Uni
Hi there,

Congratulations on joining a university programme! I hope you will love it!

Here are a few points on how to best prepare for university.

Plan your accommodation accordingly.
This can be a long process so make sure you decide whether you will be commuting to university from home, live in student halls or rent private accommodation. If you decide to live in student accommodation or flat/house-shares, it's best to reach out to the Accommodation Team and start planning as soon as possible.

Plan your finances.
Make sure to secure student finance, student loans and a student bank account to avoid financial trouble. Also start thinking about budgeting (how much money spent per week on groceries, entertainment, etc).

Complete all the reading.
Your tutors and lecturers may share a reading list and it's best to complete it before classes start as they can help you have a better understanding of your modules and assist in referencing your assignments.

Study the area.
Make sure to find out what's the public transport like around the university and where are the nearest stores, entertainment zones and job opportunities.

Check out the university's entertainment.
All universities have numerous events, clubs and societies so it is doubtful you will ever feel bored. But make sure to check out if there are any specific events or groups you find interesting and would like to join.

Spend time with friends and family
University will change your schedule so it might be difficult to see family members or friends, so make sure to spend lots of time with them before you leave.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Hello! Congratulations on your University offer 🙂
As you have received a great reply above, I will give some of my own tips that helped me when I moved to LJMU.

Take time to look at your University's map/layout. This will be on their website, and is a great way to make yourself more familiar and comfortable with your campus. Some schools may be across different buildings and there may be a choice of different libraries, so it is worthwhile having a look at where things are before you move. This will make you feel much more confident finding your way around in your first few weeks!

Familiarise yourself with the support that your University has to offer. From money advice to health and well-being, it is likely that your chosen University will have a range of services that are always good to be aware of.

Read about your students' union , who will host fairs and events and will be on hand all year for student support. Look into societies and sports teams at your University and see what interests you before you go!

Take time to look after yourself and be excited for the journey ahead! Good luck and enjoy 🙂

Ria
Official LJMU Rep
Original post by fionaearnshaw

Hi @fionaearnshaw ,

Congratulations on your University offer!

Some things that helped me to prepare for coming to university were:

Create a packing list of everything you think you will need and if you can start shopping for it early! This spreads out the cost and also means you know you have plenty of time to get everything you need.

Join Facebook groups. Most universities have Facebook groups for each year so I would join these! There are also usually course specific groups and then accommodation groups so join these too so you get a chance to talk to some of your course friends before you go!

Apply for accommodation so you know this is sorted. Some universities let you apply when you have an offer, some you have to wait until your place is confirmed after results day so check this as you want to ensure you have the best chance of getting the accommodation you want.

Sort your student finance out early. If you don't, you will feel stressed not knowing if you will get it in time to start so you may as well sort it as early as possible.

Look into the societies that your university offers and see if you want to join any of these! You will get a chance to look at them again at the freshers fair but it's still a good idea to look and see if any appeal to you.

If you can, go to an applicant open day if your uni offers these. It's a good way to look around the university and meet potential people who you will be at uni with!

Decide if you think you will need a part time job. If you do, I would look into being a student ambassador as it's a flexible way to make money! Or, look into the kind of job that would be suitable for you, although this is a job for nearer the time.

I hope some of this helps!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Hello @fionaearnshaw,

Congratulations on whichever university offer you have received; I am sure it is very exciting for you.

This is a great question to ask and it is amazing to see you planning in advance.

The first thing I would say is have you sorted your accommodation for first year? If not this would be first on my priority list, if you have then amazing, step 1 complete. I would then turn my attention to what I may need to bring to university. I think it is a bit early to start packing, but maybe start making a list of items you are going to take.

The next thing I would suggest is branching out to others that may be on your course. Facebook was a good place for me when I was looking at finding others on my course (I hope that does not show my age too much). I am sure there will be a Facebook group that your university would have created that you can join.

Finally I would say enjoy yourself and this time in your life, I am sure it is extremely exciting for you (as it should be) and I am sure you cannot wait to get to Uni, but do try and enjoy this stage of your life and that build up to the start of term.

I hope this does help.
Matt ~ University of Salford Rep

Learn how to cook basic meals. Learn how to do washing.

Hi Fiona!

It's great that you've started looking at getting ready for uni early, it gives you lots of time to prepare!

Accommodation - I'd definitely have a look around the different university options at your uni and see what suits you and your budget best! It's where you're going to be living for the year so it is important that you get it right!

Join the Facebook groups - these are a great way to meet people that are going to be studying on your course and means you'll know a few people on your first day!

Finances - getting your student finance sorted early means you'll get your loan on time.

Offer holder days - these are a great way to meet your course tutors and ask any questions you may have.

Focus on your current studies - The idea of university can be exciting but don't forget about what you're studying now!

Get in touch - if you have any questions about your course or reading lists, get in touch with your university to find out more about these!

I hope these help,
Rebecca, UCLan
@fionaearnshaw

If you can, try and get a summer job so that you can earn some money ahead of uni.

Think about you want to take and how you are going to get to uni e.g. so if you want to take everything but you are going to uni by train or coach then you are going to have to reassess what's practical to take and what's practical to buy when you arrive.

If you already know some things that you will definitely need for uni try and get some of these things early, so you are not rushing to get them in August with every other student moving away for uni, but that being said there may be more deals/ discounts towards the end of summer so don't feel like you need to buy everything now!

If there's a family holiday, enjoy it. If you and your friends plan to go to different unis, make sure you enjoy the chance to hang out during the summer as much as possible. Maybe that's getting summer jobs together, going to the same camp or just planning some days out.

Finally don't get so distracted with uni that you lose sight of what still needs to be done. If you have exams to sit, the best way to prepare for uni is to score well in them so that you can go to your dream university.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
Learn how to cook basic meals. Learn how to do washing.
Learning these basic life skills before heading off to uni will make your transition so much smoother. Being able to cook simple, nutritious meals and knowing how to do your own laundry are essential for independent living. Plus, it's empowering to know you can take care of yourself.
Original post by CalebMc
Learning these basic life skills before heading off to uni will make your transition so much smoother. Being able to cook simple, nutritious meals and knowing how to do your own laundry are essential for independent living. Plus, it's empowering to know you can take care of yourself.

Er, that's why I suggested them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending